At the University of Vermont, graduate administrative assistantships are available each year by application to students enrolled in the Higher Education and Student Affairs Administration (HESA) M.Ed. program. Each assistantship provides students with professional opportunities that support and develop the University's goals and activities while developing as educators and professionals in alignment with the HESA graduate curriculum.
HESA graduate assistantships are two-year appointments, with renewal confirmed after one year as long as assistantship requirements and performance expectations are met. A tuition fellowship and stipend is included for the duration of the assistantship.
Application to the HESA program does not require students to hold a graduate assistantship. HESA students may pursue their graduate degree as part-time students who hold on- or off-campus full-time positions, as full-pay students, and as full-time students with part-time employment and/or scholarship support.
How to Apply for a Graduate Assistantship
Prospective HESA students seeking graduate assistantships must first submit a UVM Graduate College Admissions Application by December 1. Upon submission of the admissions application, applicants will receive an email outlining HESA funding pathways, including details about being considered for assistantships and available roles. The process includes review of application materials and interviews with campus partners in the spring semester.
HESA Assistantship Offerings
UVM HESA is proud to offer a wide array of graduate assistantships in partnership with offices across campus, including but not limited to those listed below. Specific assistantship availability changes from year to year. Applicants to the UVM HESA program will receive the most up-to-date listing of available assistantships upon submission of their HESA academic program application.
- Career Center - Equity in Internships
- Center for Student Conduct
- College of Education & Social Services - Diversity & Community Engagement
- College of Engineering & Mathematical Sciences - eSTEM & StudyCats
- Division of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion - Interfaith Center
- Division of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion - Mosaic Center for Students of Color
- Division of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion - Prism Center
- Division of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion - Women and Gender Equity Center
- Enrollment Management - Student Financial Services
- Graduate College - Diversity, Equity, & Inclusion Initiatives
- Graduate College - Graduate Admissions
- Honors College - Student Wellness & Inclusivity
- Orientation Office - Undergraduate Orientation
- Residential Life - Assistant Residence Director
- Residential Life - Residential Student Engagement
- Residential Life - Catamount Experience Program
- Student Life - Civic Engagement
- Student Life - Campus Programs
- Student Life - Fraternity & Sorority Life
- Undergraduate Admissions - Admissions Visit Experience