This is an applied research program for professionals serving in educational leadership positions in preK-12 schools, higher education, social service and non-profit organizations. Our program is framed around issues of equity and social justice and solutions to complex problems of practice. The curriculum is grounded in professional knowledge that integrates practice and research. We aim to produce leaders who can construct and apply knowledge to make a positive difference in the lives of individuals, families and communities through promoting excellence in:
- leadership and change strategies in and across organizations;
- development of learning organizations in response to social issues;
- design, implementation and supervision of applied research in education;
- interpretation and application of recent research findings;
- understanding of broad social issues and policies from the perspectives of justice, equity, and diversity;
- analysis of policy in preK-12 through high school education, law enforcement, healthcare, and social services;
- effective management and collaboration skills.
The Ed.D. in Educational Leadership and Policy Studies at UVM is a nationally recognized doctoral program and member institution of the Carnegie Project in the Education Doctorate (CPED), joining over 50 institutions of higher education across the United States.
The Cohort Model
We offer a cohort approach to learning. The new group of students are admitted each year forms a cohort. Each cohort will proceed through the first two years of the program together, enrolling in all required core courses. Program faculty will assist each cohort to develop into an effective learning community wherein students challenge and support one another. We believe that a cohort approach for adult learners fosters a spirit of community, maintains commitment, and leads to a higher completion rate as compared to other approaches to doctoral studies.
In addition, the composition of the cohort represents a variety of specialized interests including PreK-12 education, higher education and social services. Through knowledge acquisition, research, spirited dialogue and collaboration, students form lifelong professional relationships that often span decades.