The BEST Project is supported by the Vermont State Agency of Education and located at the University of Vermont’s Center on Disability and Community Inclusion (CDCI). The goal of the project is to increase and strengthen the regional capacity across Vermont so that schools and their communities are better able to anticipate and respond to the needs of students who are at risk of, or who experience emotional and behavioral challenges. In an effort to help schools develop more effective strategies and interventions, the BEST Team facilitates workshops, in-service training, university coursework, webinars, and an annual Summer Institute. Training and technical assistance is presented within the framework of a multi-tiered system of supports, specifically, Positive Behavioral Interventions and Supports.
COVID Recovery Planning
The BEST Project can support COVID recovery planning and implementation for SUs/SDs in the following ways:
• Professional development opportunities on social, emotional, behavioral learning and well-being though the 2021/22 BEST/VTPBIS Professional Development Calendar
• The annual BEST/VTmtss Summer Institute
• Vermont PBIS technical assistance and coaching
• Resources on social, emotional, behavioral learning and well-being at this website, including Social/Emotional/Behavioral Screening Resources (Note: most resources are relevant for schools whether or not they implement PBIS)
• Consultation and referral to individuals and organizations in Vermont that may have expertise to support the specific needs identified in Recovery Plans