Welcome to the College of Education and Social Services (CESS). We are committed to preparing outstanding professionals in the fields of education, social work, counseling, and human development; engaging in scholarship designed to address the world’s most pressing problems; and providing exemplary professional service to Vermont, the nation, and the world.
Since 1791, the University of Vermont has worked to move humankind forward. UVM’s strengths align with the most pressing needs of our time: the health of our societies and the health of our environment. Our size—large enough to offer a breadth of ideas, resources, and opportunities, yet intimate enough to enable close faculty-student mentorship across all levels of study—allows us to pursue these interconnected issues through cross-disciplinary research and collaboration. Providing an unparalleled educational experience for our students, and ensuring their success, are at the core of what we do. As one of the nation’s first land grant universities, UVM advances Vermont and the broader society through the discovery and application of new knowledge.
Our mission is to educate and prepare outstanding professionals in education, social work, and human services; to engage in policy relevant scholarship of highest quality; and to provide exemplary professional service within the state of Vermont, nationally, and globally.
Our actions are designed to promote a more humane and just society, free from oppression, that maximizes human potential and the quality of life for all individuals, families and communities.
Values: Our Common Ground at UVM
Respect, Integrity, Innovation, Openness, Justice, and Responsibility.
Aligning Our Vision with Student and Alumni Success
Cultivating interdisciplinary connections in education, human development, counseling and social work, we strive to create a more humane and just society that maximizes human potential and the quality of life for all individuals, families and communities. Our approach is student-centered, community-engaged, culturally competent, and collaboratively designed. CESS graduates make an profound impact and enjoy rewarding careers in Vermont and throughout the United States and abroad, such as:
- Teachers in public, private, and international schools;
- Principals, superintendents, counselors, and educational leaders in school districts throughout Vermont and the nation;
- Deans, faculty, researchers, student affairs professionals and administrators at colleges and universities;
- Counselors, social workers, and human service professionals in education, family services, foundations, healthcare, hospice centers, immigration services, social and rehabilitation services, government agencies, and the private sector;
- Innovative leaders in alternative educational settings, technology companies, public art programs, museums, galleries, science centers, healthcare, social justice, social service agencies, youth programs, and the Peace Corps;
- Graduate students in master's and doctoral programs in education, social work, counseling, the arts, music, public health, health care, family therapy, family law, and other disciplines.
Our People, Programs and Research
Learn more about our internationally recognized faculty, academic programs and research.