Events & Workshops
- Classroom Technology Training with Ian Davis & Bill Garrett - Weds. 26 August 2021, 1:00-2:00 PM in Votey 207
- CEMS Teaching Support Drop-in Session with Courtney Giles & Priyantha Wijesinge - Weds. 26 August 2021, 2:30-4:30 PM in Innovation E204 / REMOTE
- Academic Integrity in CEMS: Current practices and future needs - Thurs. 9 September 2021, 11:40-12:55 in Innovation E204 / REMOTE
- Teaching with Case Studies - Scott Auerbach, UMass Amherst - Thurs. 14 October 2021, 11:40-12:55 in Innovation E204 / REMOTE
- Designing, Managing, and Assessing Student Teams - Thurs. 4 November 2021, 11:40-12:55 in Innovation E204 / REMOTE
- Course Assessment Strategies (TBD)
- Faculty Meet-Up: What I've done in the past year to promote academic integrity in my courses (TBD)
- Kroepsch-Maurice Excellence in Teaching: Faculty Panel
- Book Group: Engaging in the Scholarship of Teaching & Learning by Cathy Bishop-Clark and Beth Dietz-Uhler (TBD)
- New Classroom Technology Training with Ian Davis and Bill Gray (8/25/20)
- Classroom Technology: Applications in Different Modalities with Priyantha Wijesinghe and Courtney Giles (8/25/2020)
- Humanizing Online and Remote Classrooms: Creating Inclusive Spaces with Christa Hagan-Howe (9/22/20, 11:40-12:55 PM)
- TEACH Faculty Meet-Up: What Teaching Looks Like for Me This Semester (10/15/20, 11:40-12:55 PM)
- TEACH Faculty Meet-Up: Final Exams, Alternative Exams, and Time-saving Tips (11/12/20, 11:40-12:55 PM)
- Inclusive Teaching Practices with Holly Buckland-Parker from UVM CTL (12/9/20, 11:00-12:30 PM)
- TopHat (Active Learning Platform) Workshops for CEMS Faculty (9/29/20, 12/9/20, 12/11/20)
- Gradescope Spring Workshops: Delivering and Grading Assessments Remotely with Gradescope (1/14/21 and 1/19/21)
- TopHat Workshops for CEMS Faculty (1/12/21 and 1/15/21)
- Second Annual CEMS Pedagogy Workshop with Mike Prince (Bucknell University) and Priyantha Wijesinghe (1/26/21 and 1/27/21)
- Community Engaged Learning with Susan Munkres, Director of the Office of Community Engaged Learning at UVM (2/23/21)
- Keeping it Real in College: Learning in STEM Through Real-World Problems in the UMass iCons Program, Scott M. Auerbach, Executive Director, UMass iCons Program (3/8/21)
- Faculty Meet-Up: Cheating with Chegg (3/25/21)
- When Cheating Happens with Jennifer Garrett-Ostermiller from the UVM Center for Teaching & Learning and Deanna Garrett-Ostermiller from the UVM Center for Student Conduct (4/1/21)
- Faculty Meet-Up: How to Avoid Cheating with Jennifer Garrett-Ostermiller from the UVM Center for Teaching & Learning and Deanna Garrett-Ostermiller from the UVM Center for Student Conduct (4/29/21)
- Book Group: Cheating Lessons by James Lang
- 11/21/2019 - Best Practices in Video and Screencasting (Howe 330) - Workshop Debrief
- 12/11/2019 - Not All Active Learning is Created Equal with Holly Buckland-Parker and Dianna (Annie) Murray-Close
- 2/27/2020 - iClicker & iClicker Cloud Workshop with Jennifer Garrett-Ostermiller at the Center for Teaching and Learning (Howe 330)
- 3/4/2020 - Gradescope Workshop with Priyantha Wijesinghe (Votey 107)
- 3/20/2020 - iCONS Program Seminar with Scott Auerbach, Director of the iCONS Program at UMass Amherst (Innovation E102) - CANCELED
- 3/26/2020 - Incorporating Service Learning into Your Courses with Susan Munkres, Director of the Community Engaged Learning program at UVM (Perkins 003) - CANCELED
- 5/13/2020 - CEMS Annual Pedagogy Workshop with Mike Prince from Bucknell University - Postponed to Spring 2021
Preparation for Remote Instruction (March 2020)
2019-20 Teaching Practices Survey
The CEMS Teaching Practices Survey was deployed on January 7 and closed January 24, 2020.
The purpose of the survey was to:
• Establish a baseline for existing teaching practices in CEMS
• Evaluate faculty interest in innovative and inclusive teaching methods
• Identify potential barriers to adoption
• Gather information on the various teaching technologies and platforms currently used in CEMS
Survey sections included Teaching Practices, Inclusive Teaching, Community, Pedagogical Interests, Teaching Technologies, and Demographic Information.
Survey responses (n=49) are currently under review (Last Updated: 03/11/2020).
Spring 2020 CEMS Remote Instruction Student Survey
- Developed by the CEMS Pedagogical Innovation Committee with input from the CEMS Office of Student Services and the CEMS Diversity & Inclusion Committee.
- Deployed April 27 through May 10 to gather information on students' experience following the transition to remote instruction in March 2020, due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Survey results were used to inform teaching practices and support services, beginning summer 2020.
- In total, 303 responses were gathered from CEMS students, across years and programs.