UVM CEMS CAREER ROADMAP
Upon graduating at the College of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences, you will have the opportunity to experience and complete action steps to make you ready for a career within your industry of choice. Click on the links below to explore.
TO GET STARTED
- ·Meet new folks and explore your interests through a CEMS Student Organization
- ·Join the STEM Interest Group through the Career Center
- ·Complete the Career Interest Survey & start building your Handshake Profile & JobX Profile to search for On & Off-Campus Jobs
- ·Choose a major you'll thrive in by talking with your First-Year or Faculty Advisor & Research what you can do with your degree
- ·Connect with our Office of Equity, Belonging, and Student Engagement
- ·Check out available resources through the CEMS Career Readiness Program and the Career Center Intro video
- ·Follow @UVMCEMS and @UVMCEMSSTUDENTSERVICES on Instagram to stay up to date on events
- Explore Co-Op/Study Abroad Options ASAP
- Take the First Year CQ (Language: Consider, Explore)
TO GAIN EXPERIENCE/CONNECTIONS
- ·Build your career marketing tools: Resume, Cover Letter & LinkedIn Account
- ·Check out Experiential Learning Opportunities: Job shadowing, study abroad, community service, and more.
- ·Gain "real world"/ practical experience through Internships & Co-Ops, Study Abroad
- ·Conduct Undergraduate Research: CEMS Opportunities & UVM Four
- ·Connect with 3+ faculty, staff, advisors, and mentors to build your professional network and gain references
- ·Network with UVM Alumni via UVM Connect and the LinkedIn Alumni Tool to learn about career paths
- ·Get a sense of job opportunities by attending career fairs, researching companies, and attending CEMS events
- ·Sophomore / Junior CQs
TO GEAR UP TO GRADUATE
- ·Conduct Informational Interviews with professionals in the field and Continue to network, because 85% of opportunities are found through networking!
- ·Organize your Job Search Strategy - OR- apply to Graduate programs
- ·Find jobs through Handshake, online job boards, company websites, LinkedIn
- ·Expand your network through joining professional associations, attending conferences, and attending events like UVM CEM’S Networking Night, the STEM Career Fair
- ·Tailor your resume and cover letter for individual positions & practice your elevator pitch.
- ·Polish your Interview Skills: View General Tips & Practice for Technical Interviews
- ·Learn about Negotiation Techniques & Ways to Negotiate
- Connect with Career Readiness Coordinator, Advisors, and Mentors to seek guidance and ask questions
- Senior CQ