working with students
Rapport between a student and advisor adds an experienced and knowledgeable dimension to long-range academic planning. Often a relationship that began as student/advisor blossoms into a friendship that lasts beyond college graduation.
  • you are a major or minor in one of our programs,
  • you are thinking about studying abroad in a country where one of the languages we teach is spoken,
  • you have questions about the language placement test,
  • or you just want to learn more about our programs and student opportunities,
We are here to answer your questions!

Your current advisor appears on myUVM under the Advising link.

Plan to meet during office hours or contact them directly for an appointment.


view of campus through wrought iron scalloped, round window

The following faculty are advisors within the department.  Please reach out to one of us!




Your academic advisor has expertise in scholarly issues pertaining to your major.

Professor Mazzoni with student
Faculty advisors are an invaluable resource in planning a schedule of courses and ensuring that your course selections meet graduation requirements, so plan to meet with them (frequently, if needed). However, you are ultimately responsible for deciding which courses to take and whether they meet degree requirements. Read the requirements carefully!
Things to discuss with your advisor:
Course selection for the upcoming semester and other educational decisions
Career options
Any problems or concerns that may affect your academic performance


Faculty advisors can also assist with study abroad transfer credit.

market in Cartagena, Colombia
If you are planning to take one or more of our languages or study linguistics while studying abroad, the transfer advisor for that language can help you select your classes and evaluate how they will transfer back to UVM.
Italian Transfer Advisor: Professor Cristina Mazzoni
Spanish Transfer Advisors: Professors Juan Maura (Spain) and John Waldron (Latin America)

How are students assigned an advisor?

Students are assigned an advisor in a variety of ways.
First year students:
  • Undeclared first-year students enrolled in a Teacher-Advisor Program (TAP) course are assigned to the instructor of that seminar until they declare a major.
  • Undeclared first-year students not in TAP are assigned a faculty advisor within the College. Those students will keep the same advisor until they declare a major. Once students declare a major, they will be assigned an advisor in their chosen field.
  • First-year students who have a declared major and are enrolled in a TAP course are assigned to an advisor in their major field as well as the instructor of that seminar (for the fall semester only).
All other students:
  • Students who have a declared major are assigned an advisor within their declared field.
  • Transfer students with a declared major will be assigned an advisor in their declared field.
  • Undeclared transfer students will be assigned an advisor from one of the departments within the College.

Are you majoring or minoring in one of our programs and need an advisor?

Contact the College of Arts and Sciences Student Services to be assigned an academic advisor for your program. All UVM students should have an academic advisor in their major, but you can request a secondary advisor in your minor (or second major). 
CAS Student Services can also help with other resources that you may need, including professional advising and support concerning student health, legal matters, writing and learning skills, general career planning, lifestyle/residential issues, academic accommodations, and more.