Professor, Department of Psychiatry
Research and/or Creative Works
1975-1980 Research Psychologist, GS-15. Laboratory of Developmental Psychology National Institute of Mental Health
1968-1975 Assistant to Associate Professor, Yale University Dept. of Psychology and Child Study Center, Co-principal Investigator, NIMH Research Grant HD-03008.
1970-1971 Director, Graduate Training Program in Developmental Psychology, and Director, NIMH Research Training Grant 5T01 MH-06759, Dept. of Psychology, Yale University
1971-1972 Social Science Research Council Senior Faculty Fellowship for work with Professor Jean Piaget, University of Geneva, Switzerland
1967-1968 Research Staff Psychologist, Dept. of Psychology and Child Study Center, Yale University, Co-Principal Investigator, NIMH Grant HD-MH-03008; research on intellectual development in normal, retarded, and disturbed children; clinical work in psychodiagnostics and psychotherapy.
1966-1967 NICHD Postdoctoral Fellow, Dept. of Psychology and Child Study Center, Yale University, Clinical training in psychodiagnostics and psychotherapy with children; research on learning strategies in normal and retarded children.
1963-1966 NIMH Predoctoral Fellow, University of Minnesota, Research with Professor Norman Garmezy on child psychiatric symptomatology and with Professor Harold Stevenson on children’s learning strategies.
- *Ivanova, M.Y., Achenbach, T.M., Rescorla, L.A., Turner, L.V., Ahmeti-Pronaj, A., Au, A., et al. Syndromes of self-reported psychopathology for ages 18-59 in 29 societies. Journal of Psycho-pathology and Behavioral Assessment, 2015, 37, 171-183. doi:10.1007/s10862-014-9448-8
- Achenbach, T.M., & Rescorla, L.A. Developmental issues in assessment, taxonomy, and diagnosis of psychopathology: Life-span and multicultural perspectives. In D. Cicchetti & D.J. Cohen (Eds.), Developmental psychopathology: Vol. 1. Theory and method (3rd ed., pp. 46-93). New York: Wiley, 2016.
- *Rescorla, L.A., Achenbach, T.M., Ivanova, M.Y., Turner, L.V., Althoff, R.R., Árnadóttir, H.A., et al. Problems and adaptive functioning reported by adults in 17 societies. International Perspectives in Psychology: Research, Practice, Consultation, 2016, 5, 91-109.
- *Achenbach, T.M., Ivanova, M.Y., Rescorla, L.A., Turner, L.V., Althoff, R.R. Internalizing/ externalizing problems: Review and recommendations for clinical and research applications. Journal of the American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, 2016, 55, 647-656.
- *Rescorla, L.A., Achenbach, T.M., Ivanova, M.Y., Turner, L.V, Árnadóttir, H.A., Au, A., et al. Collateral reports of problems and cross-informant agreement about adult psychopathology in 14 societies. Journal of Psychopathology and Behavioral Assessment, 2016, 38, 381-397.
- *Achenbach, T.M. Future directions for clinical research, services, and training: Evidence-based assessment across informants, cultures, and dimensional hierarchies. Journal of Clinical Child & Adolescent Psychology, 2017, 46, 159-169. doi:10.1080/15374416.2016.1220315
- *Achenbach, T.M., Ivanova, M.Y., Rescorla, L.A., & Dumas, J.A. Transdiagnostic dimensional assessment of psychopathology in later life. Current Beha-vioral Neuroscience Reports, 2017, 4, 167-175.
- *Achenbach, T.M., Ivanova, M.Y., & Rescorla, L.A. Empirically based assessment and taxonomy of psychopathology for ages 1½-90+ years: Developmental, multi-informant, and multicultural findings. Comprehensive Psychiatry, 2017, 79, 4-18. http//dox.doi.org/10.1016/j.comppsych. 2017.03.006
- *Ivanova, M.Y., Achenbach, T.M., Rescorla, L.A., Guo, J., Althoff, R.R., Kan, K.J., et al. Testing syndromes of psychopathology in parent and youth ratings across societies. Journal of Clinical Child & Adolescent Psychology, 2018, 1-14. https://doi.org/ 10.1080/15374416. 2017.1405352
- Achenbach, T.M. Multi-informant and multicultural advances in evidence-based assessment of students’ behavioral/emotional/social difficulties. European Journal of Psychological Assessment, 2018, 34, 127-140. https://doi.org/10.1027/1015-5759/a000448
Awards and Recognition
- Angier Prize for Research in Psychology
- B.A. summa cum laude & Honors with Exceptional Distinction
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Sigma Xi
- Woodrow Wilson Fellow (honorary)
- American Men and Women of Science
- Fellow of the American Psychological Association Divisions 7, 12, 37, and 53
- Fellow of the American Psychopathological Association; University Scholar Award from the University of Vermont, 1991-92
- Distinguished Contribution Award from the AmericanPsychological Association Section on Clinical Child Psychology, 1993
- Institute for Scientific Information Most Highly Cited in World Psychiatry/Psychology Literature
- 1962: Yale University, BA Major: Psychology
- 1962-63: Heidelberg University, Major: History and Political Science
- 1966: University of Minnesota, Ph.D., Major: Psychology, Minor: Child Psychology
University Health Center, St. Joseph, Room 3211, 1 South Prospect St., Burlington, Vermont 05401, USA