Tenured Associate Professor of Psychology, Tenured Associate Professor of Psychiatry
UHC Room 1415
- (802) 656-8714
- B.A. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1995
- M.A. University of Vermont, 1999
- Ph.D. University of Vermont, 2002
- NIH Postdoctoral Fellowship at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
Research and/or Creative Works
Behavioral and pharmacological treatment of opioid dependence; Novel formulations of pharmacotherapies for opioid dependence; Smoking cessation among opioid-dependent patients using a behavioral approach; Laboratory models for understanding the interactions between stimulant medications, including nicotine, cocaine, d-amphetamine and methylphenidate; Behavioral treatments of substance use/abuse among individuals with serious mental illness.
Associations and Affiliations
Director, The Chittenden Clinic: Opioid Treatment Program
Faculty, Vermont Center on Behavior and Health (VCBH)
Faculty, VCBH Training Programs in Behavioral Pharmacology of Drug Dependence and Tobacco Regulatory Science
- Sigmon, S.C., Ochalek, T., Meyer, A., Hruska, B., Heil, S.H., Badger, G.J., Rose, G., Brooklyn, J.R., Schwartz, R.P., Moore, B.A. & Higgins, S.T. (2016). Interim buprenorphine vs. waiting list for opioid dependence. The New England Journal of Medicine, 375(25), 2504-2505.
- Sigmon, S.C., Miller, M., Meyer, A.C., Saulsgiver, K., Badger, G.J., Heil, S.H. & Higgins, S.T. (2016). Financial incentives to promote extended smoking abstinence in opioid-maintained patients: A randomized trial. Addiction, 111(5), 903-912.
- Sigmon, S.C. & Bigelow, G.E. (2016). FDA approval of sustained-release buprenorphine for treatment of opioid dependence: Realizing its potential. Addiction. doi: 10.1111/add.13539
- Sigmon, S.C. (2016). Additive burdens of malnutrition, poverty and substance abuse. The Lancet, 388, 1879-1880.
- Higgins, S.T., Heil, S.H., Sigmon, S.C., Tidey, J.W., Gaalema, D.E., Stitzer, M.L., Durand, H., Bunn, J.Y., Priest, J.S., Arger, C.A., Miller, M.E., Bergeria, C.L., Davis, D.R., Streck, J.M., Zvorsky, I., Redner, R., Vandrey, R. & Pacek, L.R. (2016). Response to varying the nicotine content level of cigarettes in vulnerable populations: An initial experimental examination of acute effects. Psychopharmacology, doi:10.1007/s00213-016-4438-z.
- Sigmon, S.C. (2015). The untapped potential of office-based buprenorphine treatment. JAMA Psychiatry, 72(4), 395-396.
- Sigmon, S.C. (2014). Access to treatment for opioid dependence in rural America: Challenges and future directions. JAMA Psychiatry, 71(4), 359-60.
- Sigmon, S.C., Dunn, K., Saulsgiver, K., Patrick, M., Badger, G.J., Heil, S.H., Brooklyn, J., & Higgins, S.T. (2013). A randomized, double-blind evaluation of buprenorphine taper duration in primary prescription opioid abusers. JAMA Psychiatry, 70(12), 1347-1354.
- Rosenthal, R.N., Ling, W., Casadonte, P., Vocci, F., Bailey, G.L., Kampman, K., Patkar, A., Chavoustie, S., Blasey, C., Sigmon, S.C., & Beebe, K.L. (2013). Buprenorphine implants for treatment of opioid dependence: Randomized comparison to placebo and sublingual buprenorphine/naloxone. Addiction, 108(12), 2141-2149. Training Program