Professor of Psychology, Professor of Psychiatry
Research and/or Creative Works
Behavioral and pharmacological treatment of opioid dependence; Novel formulations of pharmacotherapies for opioid dependence; Smoking cessation among opioid-dependent patients using a behavioral approach; Laboratory models for understanding the interactions between stimulant medications, including nicotine, cocaine, d-amphetamine and methylphenidate; Behavioral treatments of substance use/abuse among individuals with serious mental illness.
- Streck, J.M., Sigmon, S.C., Priest, J., Bergeria, C.L., Davis, D.R., Hughes, J.R., Villanti, A.C., Tidey, J.W., Heil, S.H., Gaalema, D.E., Stitzer, M.L., & Higgins, S.T. (2020). Investigating tobacco withdrawal in response to reduced nicotine cigarettes among smokers with opioid use disorder and other vulnerabilities. Experimental and Clinical Psychopharmacology Feb. 6:10.1037/pha0000350.
- Ochalek, T.A., Parker, M.A., Higgins, S.T. & Sigmon, S.C. (2019). Fentanyl exposure among patients seeking opioid treatment. Journal of Substance Abuse Treatment, 96, 23- 25.
- Streck, J., Ochalek, T., & Sigmon, S.C. (2018). Interim buprenorphine treatment during delays to comprehensive treatment: Changes in psychiatric symptoms. Experimental and Clinical Psychopharmacology, 26, 403-409.
- Parker, M.A., Ochalek, T.A., Rose, G.L., Badger, G.J., & Sigmon, S.C. (2018). Feasibility of an Interactive Voice Response system for daily monitoring of illicit opioid use during buprenorphine treatment. Psychology of Addictive Behaviors, 32, 956-960.
- Ochalek, T., Heil, S.H., Higgins S.T., Badger, G.J. & Sigmon, S.C. (2018). A novel mHealth application for improving HIV and Hepatitis C knowledge in individuals with opioid use disorder: A pilot study. Drug and Alcohol Dependence, 190, 224-228.
- Higgins, S.T., Heil, S.H., Sigmon, S.C., Tidey, J.W., Gaalema, D.E., Stitzer, M.L., Durand, H., Bunn, J.Y., Priest, J.S., Arger, C.A., Miller, M.E., Bergeria, C.L., Davis, D.R., Streck, J.M., Zvorsky, I., Redner, R., Vandrey, R. & Pacek, L.R. (2017). Response to varying the nicotine content level of cigarettes in vulnerable populations: An initial experimental examination of acute effects. Psychopharmacology, 234, 89-98.
- Higgins, S.T., Heil, S.H., Sigmon, S.C., Tidey, J.W., Gaalema, D.E., Hughes, J.R., Stitzer, M.L., Durand, H., Bunn, J.Y., Priest, J.S., Arger, C.A., Miller, M.E., Bergeria, C.L., Davis, D.R., Streck, J.M., Reed, D.D., Skelly, J.M., & Tursi, L. (2017). Addiction potential of reduced nicotine content cigarettes in populations with psychiatric disorders and other vulnerabilities to tobacco addiction. JAMA Psychiatry, 74, 1056-1064.
- Brooklyn, J.R. & Sigmon, S.C. (2017). Vermont hub-and-spoke model of care for opioid use disorders: Development, implementation and impact. Journal of Addiction Medicine, 11, 286-292.
- Sigmon, S.C., Ochalek, T., Meyer, A., Hruska, B., Heil, S.H., Badger, G.J., Rose, G., Brooklyn, J.R., Schwartz, R.P., Moore, B.A. & Higgins, S.T. (2016). Interim buprenorphine vs. waiting list for opioid dependence. The New England Journal of Medicine, 375, 2504-2505.
Associations and Affiliations
Director, The Chittenden Clinic: Opioid Treatment Program
Director, UVM Center on Rural Addictions (CORA)
Faculty, Vermont Center on Behavior and Health (VCBH)
Faculty, VCBH Training Programs in Behavioral Pharmacology of Drug Dependence and Tobacco Regulatory Science
- B.A. University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1995
- M.A. University of Vermont, 1999
- Ph.D. University of Vermont, 2002
- NIH Postdoctoral Fellowship at Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- (802) 656-8714
UHC Room 1415