Professor of Psychology, Professor of Psychiatry
UHC Old Hall Room 3112
- (802) 656-9615
- B.A. Wittenberg University, 1992
- Ph.D. Dartmouth College, 1997
Research and/or Creative Works
Drug abuse treatments for pregnant and postpartum women, including behavioral treatments such as contingency management and pharmacological treatments such as opioid replacement therapies.
Associations and Affiliations
Associate Director, Behavioral Pharmacology of Drug Dependence Training Program
- Terplan, M., Hand, D.J., Hutchinson, M., Salisbury-Afshar, E., & Heil, S.H. (2015). Contraceptive use and method choice among women with opioid and other substance use disorders: A systematic review. Preventive Medicine, 80, 23-31. PMC4842019
- Heil, S.H., Hand, D.J., Sigmon, S.C., Badger, G.J., Meyer, M.C., & Higgins, S.T. (2016). Using behavioral economic theory to increase use of effective contraceptives among opioid-maintained women at risk of unintended pregnancy. Preventive Medicine, 92, 62-67. PMC5085886
- Matusiewicz, A.K., Melbostad, H.S., & Heil, S.H. (2017). Knowledge of and concerns about long-acting reversible contraception among women in medication-assisted treatment for opioid use disorder. Contraception, 96, 365-369. PMC5643244
- Bergeria, C.L., Heil, S.H., Bunn, J., Sigmon, S.C., & Higgins, S.T. (2017). Comparing smoking topography and subjective measures of usual brand cigarettes between pregnant and non-pregnant smokers. Nicotine and Tobacco Research.
- Higgins, S.T., Heil, S.H., Sigmon, S.C., Tidey, J.W., Gaalema, D.E., Hughes, J.R., Stitzer, M.L., Durand, H., Bunn, J.Y., Priest, J.S., Arger, C.A., Miller, M.E., Bergeria, C.L., Davis, D.R., Streck, J.M., Reed, D., Kelly, J.S., & Tursi, L. (2017). Addiction potential of reduced nicotine content cigarettes in vulnerable populations. JAMA Psychiatry, 74, 1056-1064. PMC5710465