Professor of Psychology, Professor of Psychiatry
Research and/or Creative Works
Drug abuse treatments for pregnant and postpartum women, including behavioral treatments such as contingency management and pharmacological treatments such as opioid replacement therapies.
- Terplan, M., Hand, D.J., Hutchinson, M., Salisbury-Afshar, E., & Heil, S.H. (2015). Contraceptive use and method choice among women with opioid and other substance use disorders: A systematic review. Preventive Medicine, 80, 23-31. PMC4842019
- Heil, S.H., Hand, D.J., Sigmon, S.C., Badger, G.J., Meyer, M.C., & Higgins, S.T. (2016). Using behavioral economic theory to increase use of effective contraceptives among opioid-maintained women at risk of unintended pregnancy. Preventive Medicine, 92, 62-67. PMC5085886
- Matusiewicz, A.K., Melbostad, H.S., & Heil, S.H. (2017). Knowledge of and concerns about long-acting reversible contraception among women in medication-assisted treatment for opioid use disorder. Contraception, 96, 365-369. PMC5643244
- Bergeria, C.L., Heil, S.H., Bunn, J., Sigmon, S.C., & Higgins, S.T. (2017). Comparing smoking topography and subjective measures of usual brand cigarettes between pregnant and non-pregnant smokers. Nicotine and Tobacco Research.
- Higgins, S.T., Heil, S.H., Sigmon, S.C., Tidey, J.W., Gaalema, D.E., Hughes, J.R., Stitzer, M.L., Durand, H., Bunn, J.Y., Priest, J.S., Arger, C.A., Miller, M.E., Bergeria, C.L., Davis, D.R., Streck, J.M., Reed, D., Kelly, J.S., & Tursi, L. (2017). Addiction potential of reduced nicotine content cigarettes in vulnerable populations. JAMA Psychiatry, 74, 1056-1064. PMC5710465
Associations and Affiliations
Faculty, Vermont Center on Behavior and Health
Associate Director, Behavioral Pharmacology of Drug Dependence Training Program
- B.A. Wittenberg University, 1992
- Ph.D. Dartmouth College, 1997
- (802) 656-9615
UHC Old Hall Room 3112