Associate Professor, Department of Psychiatry
Research and/or Creative Works
- Identification of phenotypes and endophenotypes for psychiatric genetic studies of childhood psychiatric disorders – specifically as related to disorders of self-regulation
- Analytic methods of large datasets of twin and family studies using structural equation modeling, latent class modeling, and multivariate techniques
- Cognitive neuroscientific studies of childhood psychiatric disorders using behavioral measures, eye movement monitoring, and magnetic resonance imaging
- Basten MGJ, Tiemeier H, Althoff RR, Van de Schoot R, Jaddoe VWV, Hofman A, Hudziak JJ, Verhulst FC, van der Ende J. The stability of problem behavior across the preschool years: An empirical approach in the general population. J Abnorm Child Psychol. 2015. Apr 2. PMID: 25832625.
- Althoff RR, Crehan ET, He J-P, Burstein M, Hudziak JJ, Merikangas KR. Disruptive Mood Dysregulation Disorder at Ages 13-18: Results from the National Comorbidity Survey - Adolescent Supplement (NCS-A). J Child Adolesc Psychopharmacol. 2016. Mar;26(2):107-113. PMID: 26771536.
- Desjardins I, Cats-Baril W, Maruti S, Freeman K, Althoff R. Suicide Risk Assessment in Hospitals: An Expert System Based Triage Tool. J Clin Psychiatry. 2016. 77(7):e874–e882 PMID: 27314465.
- Achenbach TM, Ivanova MY, Rescorla LA, Turner LV, Althoff RR. Internalizing/Externalizing Problems: Review and Recommendations for Clinical and Research Applications. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2016. 55(8): 647-656.
- Schreck M, Althoff RR, Bartels M, de Geus E, Sibold J, Giummo C, Rubin DH, Hudziak JJ. Withdrawn behavior, leisure-time exercise behavior, and screen time sedentary behavior in a clinical sample of youth. J Clin Sport Psychol. 2016. 10(3): 206-221.
- Rubin DH, Crehan ET, Althoff RR, Rettew DC, Krist E, Harder V, Walkup JT, Hudziak JJ. Temperamental characteristics of withdrawn behavior problems in children. Child Psychiatry Hum Devel. 2017 Jun;48(3):478-484. PMID: 27456111.
- Althoff RR, Ametti M, Bertmann F. The Role of Food Insecurity in Developmental Psychopathology. Prev Med. 2016 Nov;92:106-109. PMID: 27514244.
- Jordan P, Rescorla LA, Althoff RR, Achenbach TM. International Comparisons of the Youth Self-Report Dysregulation Profile: Latent Class Analyses in 34 Societies. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry. 2016 Dec;55(12):1046-1053. PMID: 27871639.
- Althoff RR (2018). Pediatric Irritability Comes of Age. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry, 57(3), 149-150. doi:10.1016/j.jaac.2017.12.014.
- Novins DK, Althoff RR, Billingsley MK, Cortese S, Drury SS., Frazier JA., . . . Karnik NS. (2018). Conflict of Interest and the Journal Revisited. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry, 57(2), 72-73. doi:10.1016/j.jaac.2017.12.007.
- Novins DK, Althoff RR, Billingsley MK, Cortese S, Drury SS, Frazier JA, . . . Karnik NS. (2018). Bias, the Scientific Method, and the Journal. J Am Acad Child Adolesc Psychiatry, 57(2), 71. doi:10.1016/j.jaac.2017.12.006
To view more of Dr. Althoff's publications, please visit PubMed
Awards and Recognition
1987-1991 Edmund J. James Scholar
1991 Phi Beta Kappa
1991 Outstanding Teaching Assistant
1992 Arnold Beckman Research Assistantship (competitive award for graduate student engaged
in interdisciplinary research)
1998 Daniel K. Bloomfield Fellowship (for outstanding Medical Scholar)
1999 Granville A. Bennett Award (for contributions to medical education)
1999 University of Illinois Alumni Association Student Leadership Award
1999 Rute Medenis Award (for outstanding student in pediatrics)
1999 David Olkon Scholarship (for outstanding student in psychiatry/neurology)
2000 James P. Keating Outstanding Resident Award
2003 General Psychiatry Resident Travel Award, AACAP, Lilly
2003 Emory University Psychiatry Resident’s Symposium
2003 NIMH Outstanding Resident in Psychiatry Award
2007 Klingenstein Third Generation Foundation Postdoctoral Fellow
2008 Future Leaders in Psychiatry Awardee
2008 “Excellence in Academic Teaching” Award by Psychiatry Residents
2009 Richard Todd Memorial Award Lecture in Child Psychiatry, World Congress of
2010 Nominee, Golden Stethoscope Teaching Award, UVM College of Medicine
2011 Nominee, Kroepsch-Maurice Excellence in Teaching Award, University of Vermont
Center for Teaching and Learning
2011 American Academy of Child and Adolescent Psychiatry 2011 Klingenstein Third
Generation Foundation Award for Research in Depression or Suicide.
2011 University of Vermont Medical Group Junior Researcher of the Year
2013 "Excellence in Academic Teaching" Award by Psychiatry Residents
2017 "Fellows Appreciation Award", University of Vermont (awarded by Child and Adolescent Psychioatry Fellows to one faculty member annually)
Associations and Affiliations
- Department of Psychiatry
- Department of Pediatrics
- Department of Psychology
- Neuroscience graduate program
- 1991 B.A. Psychology, cum laude, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- 1991 B.S. Biology, cum laude, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- 1998 Ph.D. Neuroscience, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign
- 1999 M.D. University of Illinois College of Medicine
UHC Campus, Box 364SJ 3, 1 South Prospect, Burlington, Vermont 05401, US