George W. Albee Green & Gold Professor of Psychological Science, Director of the Clinical Psychology Training Program
Research and/or Creative Works
My research focuses on creating innovative strategies to expand the reach of clinical care for victims of traumatic events and those suffering from anxiety disorders. To achieve this goal, my lab uses a translational framework in which we first identify fundamental mechanisms of treatment response for evidence-based interventions. These findings are then used to develop and evaluate novel interventions delivered through widely available technologies (e.g. mobile devices, remote sensors, websites).
I am especially interested in treatments that can be administered in acute care settings (e.g. Emergency Departments, Trauma Centers) to reduce distress shortly after trauma exposure. This research is multidisciplinary by nature and my team collaborates regularly with experts across a wide range of fields including computer science, bioinformatics, human factors, health services, nursing, medicine, and neuroscience.
My laboratory will explore the following:
- Understand biological and social factors that promote psychological recovery after exposure to a trauma.
- Evaluate interventions that are delivered via personal technology (e.g. mobile devices) to facilitate physical and psychological recovery after a trauma.
- Understand critical factors related to the adoption and continued use of technology-based mental health interventions.
- Price, M., Ruggiero, K. J., Ferguson, P., Patel, S. K., Treiber, F., Couillard, D., Fakhry, S. M. (2014). A feasibility pilot study on the use of text messages to track PTSD symptoms after a traumatic injury. General Hospital Psychiatry, 36, 249-254. doi: 10.1016/j.genhosppsych.2014.02.004
- Price, M., Davidson, T. M., Ruggiero, K. J., Acierno, R., Resnick, H. S. (2014). Predictors of mental health utilization after sexual assault. Journal of Traumatic Stress, 27, 331-337. doi: 10.01002/jts.21915
- Price, M., Kearns, M., Houry, D., Rothbaum, B.O. (2014). Emergency department predictors of posttraumatic stress reduction for trauma exposed individuals with and without an early intervention. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 82, 336-341. doi: 10.1037/a0035537
- Price, M., Yuen, E. K., Goetter, E., M., Herbert, J. D., Forman, E. M., Acierno, R., & Ruggiero, K. J. (in press). mHealth: A mechanism to deliver more accessible, more effective mental heath care. Clinical Psychology & Psychotherapy. doi: 10.1002/cpp.1855.
- Anderson, P. L., Price, M., Edwards, S. M., Obasaju, M. A., Schmertz, S. K., Zimand, E., & Calamaras, M. (2013). Virtual reality exposure therapy for social phobia: A randomized controlled trial. Journal of Consulting and Clinical Psychology, 8, 15, 751-760. doi: 10.1037/a0033559.
- Price, M., Gros, D. F., McCauley, J. L., Gros, K. S., & Ruggiero, K. J. (2012). Nonuse and dropout attrition for a web-based mental health intervention delivered in a post-disaster context. Psychiatry: Interpersonal and Biological Processes, 75, 3, 266-283. doi: 10.1521/psyc.2012.75.3.267
- B.A. State Univ. of New York at Binghamton, 2004
- M.A. Georgia State University, 2006
- Ph.D. Georgia State University, 2011
338 Dewey Hall
By appointment via email