Professor of Communication Sciences and Disorders, Professor of Psychology
Pomeroy Hall Room 400
- (802) 656-0207
- B.A. Dartmouth College, 1966
- M.S. Western Michigan University, 1967
- Ph.D. University of Wisconsin, 1974
Research and/or Creative Works
In addition to teaching and supervising clinical work in stuttering, Barry Guitar helps students learn the elements of research. He involves students in studies of normal speech as well as the nature of stuttering in children. Although he has produced books, articles, and videotapes about stuttering, he also has a passion for normal speech and language production. In his courses on speech science and introduction to linguistics, he experiments with a variety of teaching approaches to help students develop a life-long habit of critical thinking and find their own best ways of learning.
- Guitar, B. (2013). Stuttering: An integrated approach to its nature and treatment. Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins.
- Guitar, B. (2010) Stuttering. In B. Zuckerman, E. Coronna, & M. Augustyn (Eds) Zuckerman and Parker's Handbook of Developmental and Behavioral Pediatrics. Baltimore: Lippincott, Williams, & Wilkins.
- Guitar, B. & McCauley, R. (2009). Treatment of Stuttering: Established and Emerging Interventions. Baltimore: Lippincott, Williams, & Wilkins.
- Miller, B. & Guitar, B. (2009) Long-term outcome of the Lidcombe Program for Early Intervention. American Journal of Speech-Language Pathology, 18, 1-8.
- Guitar, B. (1998). The Clinical Scientist. In N. Ratner & C. Healey, Stuttering Research and Treatment: Bridging the Gap. Mahway, N.J.: Lawrence Erlbaum Associates, Inc.
- Guitar, B., Guitar, C., Neilson, P., O'Dwyer, N., & Andrews, G. (1988). Onset timing in selected labial muscles in stutterers and non stutterers. Journal of Speech and Hearing Research, 31, 28-35.
- Guitar, B. & Bass, C. (1978). Stuttering therapy: The relation between attitude change and long-term outcome. Journal of Speech and Hearing Disorders, 43, 392-400.