Research and/or Creative Works
- I am collaborating with the UVM Cancer Center to establish a smoking cessation clinic that will focus on helping long-term smokers quit with the aid of a computerized assisted program and by creating a “teaching moment” associated with how feedback is given to lung-cancer screened patients who test negative for cancer.
- I also collaborate with the Vermont Center on Tobacco Regulatory Sciences to examine the impact of regulatory policies on smoking and tobacco use behaviors in vulnerable populations. My present focus is rural populations and women of reproductive age.
- With colleagues from the Universidad de Granada and the Universidad de Jaen (both in Spain), I continue to investigate body image, food cravings, and eating disorder symptoms in women.
- With a colleague from the Universidad de Alicante, Spain, and a colleague from Texas A&M University, we are currently working toward the publication of the Marital Satisfaction Inventory-Revised in Spanish in Spain.
- With colleagues from the Universidad Católica de Valencia, I am working to understand the impact of research networking and collaborating on research output, both in terms of volume as well as societal impact. Our current focus is on eating disorders research, PI collaborations, and transnational collaborations.
- I’ve become interested in “placebo” effects and I am currently jump starting a research program to test and compare “blind placebo” and “honest placebo” effects. In a nutshell, there is good evidence that placebo treatments help even when individuals understand what a placebo is and know they are receiving the placebo rather than the experimental treatment.
- Cepeda-Benito, A., Doogan, N. J., Redener, . . ., Higgins, S.T. (In Press). Smoking Trend Differences in Men and Women in Rural and Urban U.S. Settings. Preventive Medicine
- Wrenn, S., Cepeda-Benito, A., Ramos-Valadez, D. Cataldo, P. (2017). Patient perceptions and quality of life after colon and rectal surgery: what do patients really want? Diseases of the Colon & Rectum.
- Valderrama-Zurián J-C, Aguilar-Moya R, Cepeda-Benito A, Melero-Fuentes D, Navarro-Moreno M-Á, Gandía-Balaguer A, & Aleixandre-Benavent R (2017) Productivity trends and collaboration patterns: A diachronic study in the eating disorders field. PLoS ONE 12(8): e0182760. doi:10.1371/journal.pone.0182760
- Mendez, I. A., Carcoba, L., Wellman, P. J., & Cepeda-Benito, A. (2016). High-Fat Diet Meal Patterns During and After Continuous Nicotine Treatment in Male Rats. Experimental and Clinical Psychopharmacology. 24(6), 477-484.
- Moreno-Dominguez, S., Rodriguez-Ruiz, S., Fernandez-Santaella, M. C., Cepeda-Benito, A. (2012). Impact of fasting on food craving, mood and consumption in bulimia nervosa and healthy women participants. Eating Disorders Review, 20(6), 461-467.
- Moreno, S., Warren, C. S., Rodriguez, S., Fernández-Santaella, M. C., Cepeda-Benito, A. (2009). Food Cravings Discriminate between Anorexia and Bulimia Nervosa: Implications for "Success" versus "Failure" in Dietary Restriction. Appetite, 52, 588-594.
- Cepeda-Benito, A., Gleaves, D. H., *Williams, T. L., & *Erath, S. T. (2000). The development and validation of the state and trait food cravings questionnaires. Behavior Therapy, 31, 151-173.
Awards and Recognition
• TOP 100 MOST INFLUENTIAL HISPANICS: Hispanic Business Magazine-2009
• National Award of Excellence in Mentorship-2008 (National Hispanic Science Network [NHSN] on Drug Abuse).
• National Award of Excellence in Public Service-2006 (NHSN).
• THE OFFICE OF THE EXECUTIVE VICE PRESIDENT AND PROVOST OUTSTANDING INDIVIDUAL ACHIEVEMENT DIVERSITY AWARD-2003 (Texas A&M University).
• College of Liberal Arts Superior Service Awards-2002 in recognition of exemplary values and promoting efforts in promoting Diversity (Texas A&M University)
• TEXAS A&M UNIVERSITY ACADEMIC INSPIRATION AWARD-1999
• PSYCHOLOGY TEACHER OF THE YEAR AWARD-1998