Assistant Professor, Department of Psychiatry (Vermont Center on Behavior and Health)
Research and/or Creative Works
Broadly, my research interests include behavioral pharmacology, behavioral economics, and the development of behavioral interventions to improve health. I am also interested in leveraging technological advancements in developing health interventions to increase their attractiveness and their reach. At present, I am conducting a study to examine the feasibility, efficacy, and cost-effectiveness of a financial incentives intervention to reduce cigarette smoking during pregnancy. I am also conducting a smaller study to examine potential novel approaches to promote sustained smoking abstinence, along with breastfeeding and increased physical activity, among postpartum women. Alongside this treatment-based research, I conduct epidemiological studies using publicly available U.S. national surveys to examine prevalence and correlates of tobacco use among vulnerable populations, with an emphasis on understanding patterns and longitudinal trajectories of tobacco use among reproductive-aged women.
In my free time, I enjoy running, hiking, snowboarding, exploring the great outdoors with my pup Finnegan, reading, volunteering in the community, and sampling an assortment of new activities because I am always open to learning new things and taking up new hobbies.
- Kurti AN, Davis D, Skelly JM, Redner, R, Higgins ST. Comparison of nicotine dependence indicators in predicting quitting among pregnant smokers. Exp Clin Psychopharmacol. 2016 Feb;24(1):12-7. PMCID: PMC4822339
- Kurti AN, Klemperer E, Zvorsky I, Redner R, Priest J, Higgins ST. Some context for understanding the place of the GED in the relationship between educational attainment and smoking prevalence. Prev Med. 2016 Nov;92: 141-147. PMCID: PMC4992659 [Available on 2017-11-01]
- Davis DR, Kurti AN, Redner R, White TJ, Higgins, ST. A review of the literature on contingency management in the treatment of substance use disorders, 2009-2014. Prev Med. 2016 Nov;92: 36-46. PMCID: PMC5385000
- Higgins ST, Reed DR, Redner R, Skelly JM, Zvorsky, IZ, Kurti, AN. Simulating demand for cigarettes among pregnant women: A low-risk method for studying vulnerable populations. J Exp Anal Behav. 2017 Jan;107(1):176-190. PMCID: PMC5322444 [Available on 2018-01-01]
- Kurti AN, Dallery J. A laboratory-based evaluation of exercise plus contingency management for reducing cigarette smoking. Drug Alcohol Depend. 2014 Nov 1;144: 201-209. PMID: 25263261 DOI: 10.1016/j.drugalcdep.2014.09.012
- Kurti AN, Dallery J. Effects of exercise on craving and cigarette smoking in the human laboratory. Addict Behav. 2014 Jun;39(6):1131-1137. PMID: 24656643 DOI: 10.1016/j.addbeh.2014.03.004
- Kurti AN, Dallery, J. Internet-based contingency management increases walking in sedentary adults. J Appl Behav Anal. 2013 Fall;46(3):568-81. PMID: 24114220 DOI: 10.1002/jaba.58
- Kurti SP, Kurti AN, Emerson SR, Rosenkranz RR, Smith JR, Harms CA, Rosenkranz SK. Household Air pollution exposure and influence of lifestyle on respiratory health and lung function in Belizean adults and children: A field study. Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2016 Jun 28;13(7) pii: E643. PMCID: PMC4962184
- Kurti AN, Davis DR, Redner R, Jarvis BP, Zvorsky I, Keith DR, Bolivar HA, White TJ, Rippberger P, Markesich C, Atwood G, Higgins ST. A Review of the Literature on Remote Monitoring technology in incentive-based interventions for health-related behavior change. Transl Issues Psychol Sci. 2016 Jun;2(2):128-152. PMCID: PMC5074560
- Kurti AN, Logan H, Manini T, Dallery J. Physical activity behavior, barriers to physical activity, and opinions about a smartphone-based physical activity intervention among rural residents. Telemed J eHealth. 2015 Jan;21(1):16-23. PMCID: PMC4346555
- Kurti AN, Dallery J. Integrating technological advancements in behavioral interventions to promote health: Unprecedented opportunities for behavior analysts. Rev Mex Anal Conducta. 2014 Sep;40(2):106-126. PMCID: PMC4358800
- Dallery J, Kurti AN, Erb JP. A new frontier: Integrating behavioral and digital technology to promote health behavior. Behav Anal. 2015 May;38(1):19-49. PMCID: PMC4883489
- Kurti AN, Redner R, Lopez AA, Keith DR, Villanti AC, Stanton CA, Gaalema DE, Bunn JY, Doogan NJ, Cepeda-Benito A, Roberts ME, Phillips J, Higgins ST. Tobacco and nicotine delivery product use in a national sample of pregnant women. Prev Med. 2017 Aug 5. pii: S0091-7435(17)30277-3. PMID: 28789981 DOI: 10.1016/j.ypmed.2017.07.030
- Kurti, A.N., Bunn, J. Y., Villanti, A.C., Stanton, C.A., Redner, R., Lopez, A.A., Gaalema, D.E., Doogan, N.J., Cepeda-Benito, A., Roberts, M.E., Phillips, J.K., Quisenbery, A.J., Keith, D.R., & Higgins, S.T. (in press). Patterns of single and multiple tobacco product use among U.S. women of reproductive age. Nicotine and Tobacco Research.
- Higgins ST, Kurti AN, Redner R, White TJ, Keith DR, Gaalema DE, Sprague BL, Stanton CA, Roberts ME, Doogan NJ, Priest JS. Co-occurring risk factors for current cigarette smoking in a U.S. nationally representative sample. Prev Med. 2016 Nov;92:110-117. PMCID: PMC4992654
- Kurti AN, Keith DR, Noble A, Pries, JS, Sprague B, Higgins ST. Characterizing the intersection of Co-occurring risk factors for illicit drug abuse and dependence in a U.S. nationally representative sample. Prev Med. 2016 Nov;92:118-125. PMCID: PMC5138160 [Available on 2017-11-01]