Dean's Staff Awards for Superior Performance in Administrative and Technical Support
Please note: The deadline for Nominations is Friday, December 18th. These awards recognize superior effort and achievement by staff in the support of the mission of the College. Since 2010, two awards have been given annually: one for superior administrative support and one for superior technical support. Each recipient will have his/her name engraved on a commemorative plaque, and will receive a personal cash award of $250 from the Dean's Office. The awards will be presented and the recipients formally recognized at an event held each year.
Eligibility and Nomination
- Any staff member of the College of Arts and Sciences employed in his or her current position for at least two years is eligible for these awards.
- Letters in support of the nominee should go to the department chairperson, program director, or head of administrative unit.
- The department chair, program director, or administrative unit head must submit a completed nomination form and one summary letter of support to the Dean’s Office by Friday, December 18th.
- Past nominees are eligible but must be re-nominated. Materials need to be resubmitted and appropriately updated.
- Past award winners are not eligible for nomination.
Criteria for Evaluation of Nominations
- Impact of employee's efforts to assist faculty, staff, students and/or administration in meeting the mission of the Department and College
- Innovation in work methods that allow better utilization of resources
- Influence on improvements within the Department, and among colleagues
- Efforts to improve peer interaction within the Department and College
- Involvement with Department, College and/or University committees and organizations; participation in workshops, seminars and programs
Nomination Procedure and Deadline
The nomination form and letter of support must be submitted in hard copy to Linda Burnham (email link), no later than 4:30 p.m. on Friday, December 18th.
A Review Committee appointed by the Dean will evaluate the nominations and provide advice to the Dean. 2020 Nomination Form (PDF)
Staff Development Fund and Award Guidelines
- Recipients must be permanent staff members in the College of Arts and Sciences with an FTE (full-time equivalency) of at least 0.50. The probationary period for the current position must have been completed prior to receipt of an award.
- Applications will be reviewed once a month on or shortly after the 15th of the month. Applications should be submitted as early as possible.
- Staff Development Fund Application (PDF) - Applications should be submitted to the Dean's Office, College of Arts and Sciences, 438 College Street.
- The maximum staff development award is $300. (This is an annual allotment and can be used to support several awards totaling $300 each fiscal year, July 1 - June 30).
- The funds must be used for professional development, and may be used to defray travel expenses, registration fees for professional conferences, short-course tuitions, and workshop fees. Awards may not be used for programs that are similar to those available free of charge through the University or to purchase computer equipment, software, or other durable materials.
- Before submitting an application the applicant should speak with his/her Department Chair and get a commitment of release time and assistance in funding if the amount needed should exceed $300. (Departmental assistance with funding is not required but is strongly encouraged.)
- For the sake of efficiency, funds will be transferred to the Department twice each year. You may spend this money before it actually appears in the budget.
Questions about Staff Development Awards may be addressed to the Business Operations Manager in the Dean's Office, College of Arts and Sciences.