UVM Geology in the News
- Mural of Vermont the geologic feature the Champlain Thrust discovered behind a wall on UVM campus.
- Andrea Lini samples soil dating back millennia beneath St. Albans Bay when the lake was an inland sea. He shares his experience of drilling into the depths of Lake Champlain sediment at the Lake Champlain Research Consortium Conference at UVM's Davis Center in Jan. 2018.
- Paul Bierman led an international team of scientists and found three-million-year-old landscape beneath Greenland Ice Sheet. Research Gaining International Attention.
- Geology Excursion in the Teacher-Advisor Program (TAP) “The highlight of my ISEE experience was going out on geology excursions for various labs in the 'Geology of Lake Champlain Basin' class." (ISEE, Integrated Study of Earth and Environment)
- Char Mehrtens, UVM geology professor involved with Perkins Museum of Geology for years, speaks about the VT Bedrock map, a new museum exhibit under construction, as an "important resource" in In This State: Whales, arrowheads, minerals come to life at the Perkins Our visitors "consider the place [museum] a gem of a resource."
- Laura Web, in Under Pressure, (International Innovation - The leading global Dissemination Resource) reveals her research, which uses pioneering technology . . . to produce insights into the pressure and temperature histories that form rocks.
- Paul Bierman and colleagues seek answers to the questions of climate change, in particular, to help answer a little understood—but most important—question: how fast will Greenland melt in a warming world? Read more: Ice Sheets, Isotopes & Musk-Ox Pizza, a polar scientist's tour of Greenland (Vermont Quarterly)
Geology Seminar Series
The Geology Department at UVM has a long tradition of professional seminars and short courses offered every semester. We gratefully acknowledge an endowment from the Lintilhac Foundation which allows us to bring visitors from around the country and world to give talks and interact with our faculty and students. Spring 2020 Geology Seminar Series (canceled in March due to coronavirus) lectures are held on Mondays (unless otherwise noted) at 4:15 pm in Delehanty Hall room 219 University of Vermont, Trinity Campus. Refreshments are available prior to the lecture. For further information, contact Assistant Professor Nico Perdrial