Jump to navigation
CAS Degree Requirements
Rules and Regulations
- 120 hours are required to receive a degree from the College of Arts and Sciences.
- 96 hours of A & S credit are required as part of the degree except where students elect an approved Minor offered by another school or college within UVM. In this case, 84 hours of A & S are now required.
- 30 out of the last 45 credits toward your degree must be completed at UVM.
- Only 8 hours of Military Studies may be applied toward the degree and will count as hours outside A & S.
- Cumulative, Major, and Minor GPAs must be at least a 2.00 in order to graduate.
- 6 courses may be taken on a Pass/No Pass basis starting at the beginning of Sophomore year and may only be used for free electives.
CAS General/Distribution/University Requirements
- The Dean's Office suggests that students officially declare their major and minor by the end of the sophomore year.
- Substitutions for major or minor requirements are sometimes acceptable. The Dean's Office must receive written approval from the Chair of the Department for each substitution.
- No more than 45 hours are allowed in the major field for BA candidates.
- No more than 50 hours are allowed in the major field for BS candidates.
- The major must be chosen from offerings within the College of Arts and Sciences. The major GPA must be at least 2.0 to graduate.
- At least one-half of a student's major requirements must be taken at the University of Vermont.
- Students may pursue an Individually Designed Major in the College of Arts and Sciences with the approval of the Academic Studies Committee.
- A minor is required if you are pursuing a BA degree through the College of Arts and Sciences with only one major.
- Students pursuing a double major need not complete a minor.
- Students pursuing a Bachelor of Science or a Bachelor of Music need not complete a minor, but many such students elect to complete a minor.
- The minor may be chosen from offerings within the College of Arts and Sciences. Some minors housed outside of Arts and Sciences are available, but must be chosen from the list that has been approved by the College of Arts and Sciences.
- The minor GPA must be at least 2.00 to graduate.
- Only one course may overlap between the student's major and minor.
- At least one-half of a student's credits in their minor must be taken at the University of Vermont.