CAS General/Distribution/University Requirements
- B.A. Distribution Checklist (Current Academic Year)
- B.S. Distribution Checklist (Current Academic Year)
- The Dean's Office suggests that students officially declare their major and minor by the end of the sophomore year.
- Substitutions for major or minor requirements are sometimes acceptable. The Dean's Office must receive written approval from the Chair of the Department for each substitution.
- No more than 45 hours are allowed in the major field for BA candidates.
- No more than 50 hours are allowed in the major field for BS candidates.
- The major must be chosen from offerings within the College of Arts and Sciences. The major GPA must be at least 2.0 to graduate.
- At least one-half of a student's major requirements must be taken at the University of Vermont.
- Students may pursue an Individually Designed Major in the College of Arts and Sciences with the approval of the Academic Studies Committee.
- A minor is required if you are pursuing a BA degree through the College of Arts and Sciences with only one major.
- Students pursuing a double major need not complete a minor.
- Students pursuing a Bachelor of Science or a Bachelor of Music need not complete a minor, but many such students elect to complete a minor.
- The minor may be chosen from offerings within the College of Arts and Sciences or in other colleges. Please note that some of the minors that are offered in other colleges require a separate application process.
- The minor GPA must be at least 2.00 to graduate.
- Only one course may overlap between the student's major and minor.
- At least one-half of a student's credits in their minor must be taken at the University of Vermont.
Exceptions to the CAS Distribution or general requirements are under the purview of the Academic Studies Committee. For more information, please refer to the CAS Academic Studies Committee Petition Request form, or contact firstname.lastname@example.org to meet with an advisor.