Emily Morgan joined the Department of Nutrition and Food Sciences in 2019 and is an Assistant Professor of Public Health Nutrition. She has a background in environmental studies, food policy, public health, and community nutrition. Her applied research explores social, economic, and environmental determinants of dietary intake and how food-related policies and programs can be levered to improve diet quality, human health, and food system sustainability. As an educator, her goal is to foster a student-centered environment, in which students actively engage in the learning process.
- Haynes-Maslow L, Osborne I, Jilcott Pitts S, Sitaker, M, Byker-Shanks C, Leone, L, Maldonado A,McGuirt J, Andress L, Bailey-Davis L, Baquero B, Kolodinsky J, Lo BK, Morgan EH, Seguin RA,Ammerman AS. Rural corner store owners’ perceptions of stocking healthier foods in response toproposed SNAP Retailer Rule changes. Food Policy. 2018;81:58-66.doi:10.1016/j.foodpol.2018.10.004.
- Morgan EH, Severs MM, Hanson KL, McGuirt J, Becot, F, Wang W, Kolodinsky J, Sitaker M, JilcottPitts, SB, Ammerman AS, Seguin RA. Gaining and maintaining a competitive edge: evidence fromCSA members and farmers on local food marketing strategies. Sustainability. 2018;10(2177).doi:10.3390/su10072177.
- Becot F, Sitaker M, Kolodinsky J, Morgan EH, Wang W, Garner JA, Ammerman AS, Jilcott Pitts, SB,Seguin RA. Can a small shift in the purchase of local foods by Supplemental Nutrition AssistanceProgram (SNAP) recipients impact the local economy? Renew Agr Food Syst. 2018;1-12.doi:10.1017/S1742170518000327.
- White MJ, Pitts SJ, McGuirt JT, Hanson KL, Kolodinsky J, Morgan EH, Wang W, Sitaker M, SeguinRA. The perceived influence of cost-offset community supported agriculture on food access amonglow-income families. Public Health Nutr. 2018;1-9. doi:10.1017/S1368980018001751.
- Morgan EH, Hawkes C, Dangour AD, Lock K. Analyzing food value chains for nutrition goals. JHunger Environ Nutr. 2018. doi:10.1080/19320248.2018.1434106.
- Haynes-Maslow L, Andress L, Jilcott Pitts S, Osborne I, Baquero B, Bailey-Davis L, Byker-Shanks C,Houghtaling B, Kolodinsky J, Lo BK, Morgan EH, Piltch E, Prewitt E, Seguin RA, Ammerman AS.Arguments used in public comments to support or oppose the USDA’s minimum stockingrequirements: a content analysis. J Acad Nutr Diet. 2018;118(9):1664-1674.doi:10.1016/j.jand.2017.12.005.
- Lo BK, Morgan EH, Folta SC, Graham ML, Paul LC, Nelson ME, Jew NV, Moffat LF, Seguin RA.Using a triangulation mixed methods design to understand environmental influences on physical activity among rural adults in Montana. In J Environ Res Public Health. 2017;14(1173).doi:10.3390/ijerph14101173.
- Hanson KL, Kolodinsky J, Wang W, Morgan EH, Jilcott Pitts S, Ammerman AS, Sitaker M, SeguinRA. Adults and children in low-income households that participate in cost-offset communitysupported agriculture have high fruit and vegetable consumption. Nutrients. 2017;9(7):726.doi:10.3390/nu9070726.
- Seguin RA, Morgan EH, Hanson KL, Ammerman AS, Jilcott Pitts SB, Kolodinsky J, Sitaker M, BecotF, Connor LM, Garner JA, McGuirt JT. Farm Fresh Foods for Healthy Kids (F3HK): an innovative community supported agriculture intervention to prevent childhood obesity in low-income families and strengthen local agricultural economies. BMC Public Health. 2017;17:306. doi:10.1186/s12889-017-4202-2.
Awards and Recognition
- 2011 – 2014 PhD Fellowship (full PhD tuition, stipend, and research funds) Leverhulme Centre for Integrative Research on Agriculture and Health (LCIRAH), London,UK
- 2011 Academic Achievement Award Public Health and Professional Degree Program, Tufts University, Boston, MA
- 2008 – 2010 Scholarship for Vegetarian and Plant-based Nutrition Studies (full MS tuition)
Tufts University Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy, Boston, MA
- 2008 Emerging Leader Healthy People, Prosperous Country Symposium, Adelaide, AU
- 2007 Fulbright Scholar Australian-American Fulbright Commission, Melbourne, AU
Associations and Affiliations
- American Public Health Association
- Cochrane Collaboration
Areas of Expertise and/or Research
Public Health Nutrition
- PhD, Public Health, London School of Hygiene and Tropical Medicine, 2014
- MPH, Health Communications, Tufts University School of Medicine, 2011
- MS, Agriculture, Food and Environment, Friedman School of Nutrition Science and Policy, Tufts University, 2011
- BA, Environmental Studies, Mount Holyoke College, 2006
225 B Marsh Life Science