Catherine Donnelly, an expert on the microbiological safety of food, believes that requiring cheesemakers to use pasteurized milk is not the best way to produce safe (and tasty) cheeses; it`s better to educate cheesemakers about how to ensure the safety of their raw-milk products.
- Limoges, M. and C.W. Donnelly. 2019. FDA's cheese and Cheese Products Compliance Program guideline criteria for non-toxigenic Escherichia coli: A retrospective analysis of impacts on domestic and imported cheeses. Food Control:106 (2019) 106730.
- Neale, Rosalind G. and Catherine W. Donnelly. 2019. Assessing transfer potential and methods of decontamination of Listeria monocytogenes in brushes used for production of washed-rind cheese. International Symposium on Problems of Listeriosis. Toronto, Canada. September 25.
- Neale, R. and C.W. Donnelly. 2019. Assessing Growth and Survival of Listeria monocytogenes in Wash Solutions Used in Artisanal Washed-Rind Cheese Production. IAFP Annual Meeting, Louisville KY. July 21-24.
- Limoges, M., G. Frontino and C. Donnelly. 2018. Comparative Recovery of Listeria spp. from Dairy Environmental Surfaces Using 3M and World Bioproducts Environmental Sponges and Standard Enrichment and Enumeration Methods. P3-148. IAFP Annual Meeting, Salt Lake City, UT July 7-11.
- Lekkas, P., M. Sharma, D. Neher, T. Weicht, P. Milner and C. Donnelly. 2017. Effect of soil management on the persistence of Escherichia coli and Listeria spp. In manure-amended soils in the Northeast United States. P3-50 IAFP Annual Meeting, Tampa, Florida July 9-12.
- Limoges, M., D. Neher, T. Weicht, P. Milner, M. Sharma and C. Donnelly. 2017. Survival of generic Escherichia coli and Listeria spp. Populations in dairy compost- and poultry litter compost-amended soils in the Northeastern United States. P3-49 IAFP Annual Meeting, Tampa, Florida July 9-12.
- Trmčić , A., R. Ralyea , L. Meunier-Goddik , C. Donnelly, K. Glass, D. D’Amico, E. Meredith, M. Kehler, N. Tranchina, C. McCue, M. Wiedmann. 2016. Consensus categorization of cheese based on water activity and pH – a rational approach to systemizing cheese diversity. Journal of Dairy Science 100:841–847
- Lekkas, P., M. Sharma, D. Neher, T. Weicht, P. Milner, M. Limoges, and C. Donnelly. 2016. Survival of generic E. coli and naturally occurring Listeria spp. in manure-amended loamy and sandy soils in the Northeastern United States. P1-08 IAFP Annual Meeting, St. Louis, MO. August 1.
- Lekkas, P. and C.W. Donnelly. 2016. Farm sources of Listeria monocytogenes and impact on the microbial safety of milk destined for artisan cheese production. P2-141 IAFP Annual Meeting, St. Louis, MO. August 2.
- Limoges, M. and C. Donnelly. 2016. FDA’s compliance program guideline criteria for non-toxigenic Escherichia coli: Impacts on domestic and imported cheese. P2-142 IAFP Annual Meeting, St. Louis, MO. August 2.
- Gavell, J. and C. Donnelly. 2016. Validating the efficacy of cleaning procedures used to reduce microbial loads on wooden boards used for cheese aging. P2-143 IAFP Annual Meeting, St. Louis, MO. August 2.
- Donnelly,C. and P. Lekkas. 2016. Identification of farm sources of Listeria monocytogenes and incidence in milk destined for artisan cheese production. Problems of Listeriosis ISOPOL XIX, June 14-17, Institut Pasteur, Paris, France.
- Lekkas, P., M. Sharma, D. Neher, T. Weicht, P. Milner and C. Donnelly. 2015. Population Dynamics of Generic E. coli and Naturally Occurring Listeria in Manure-Amended Soils in the Northeastern U.S P1-178 IAFP Annual Meeting, Portland, OR.
Areas of Expertise and/or Research
- PhD, Food Science, North Carolina State University, 1983
- MS, Food Science, North Carolina State University, 1980
- BS, Animal Science, University of Vemront, 1978
355 MLS Carrigan Wing
- NFS 313: Food Safety & Public Policy
- HCOL 185: Issues in Food Systems and Food Safety