Catherine Donnelly, an expert on the microbiological safety of food, believes that requiring cheesemakers to use pasteurized milk is not the best way to produce safe (and tasty) cheeses; it`s better to educate cheesemakers about how to ensure the safety of their raw-milk products.
- D’Amico, D.J. and C.W. Donnelly. 2011. Characterization of Staphylococcus aureus strains isolated from raw milk utilized in small-scale artisan cheese production. J. Food Prot. 1353-1358.
- D’Amico, D.J. and C.W. Donnelly. 2011. FDA’s Domestic and Imported Cheese Compliance Program Results: January 1, 2004-December 31, 2006. Food Prot. Trends 31:216-226.
- D’Amico, D.J., M.J. Druart and C.W. Donnelly. 2010. Behavior of Escherichia coli O157:H7 during the manufacture and aging of Gouda and stirred-curd Cheddar cheeses manufactured from raw milk. J. Food Prot.12:2217-2224.
- D’Amico, D.J. and C.W. Donnelly. 2010. Microbiological quality of raw milk used for small scale artisan cheese production in Vermont: Effect of farm characteristics and practices. J. Dairy Sci. 93:134-147.
- D’Amico, D.J. and C.W. Donnelly. 2009. Detection, isolation and incidence of Listeria spp. in small-scale artisan cheese processing facilities: a methods comparison. J. Food Prot. 72: 2499-2507.
- Puzy, K.A., P.J. Gardner, V.K. Petrova, C.W. Donnelly and G.A. Petrucci. 2008. Automated species and strain identification of bacteria in complex matrices using FTIR spectroscopy. Proc. SPIE, Vol. 6954, 695412 (2008).
- D’Amico, D.J. and C.W. Donnelly. 2008. Enhanced detection of Listeria spp. in farmstead cheese processing environments through dual primary enrichment, PCR and molecular subtyping. J. Food Prot. 71:2239-2248.
- D’Amico, D.J., E. Groves and C.W. Donnelly. 2008. Low incidence of foodborne pathogens of concern in raw milk utilized for farmstead cheese production. J. Food Prot. 71:1580-1589.
- D'Amico, D.J., M.J. Druart and C.W. Donnelly. 2008. The 60 day aging requirement does not ensure safety of bloomy rind cheeses manufactured from raw or pasteurized milk when Listeria monocytogenes are introduced as post-processing contaminants. J. Food Prot. 71:1563-1571.
Areas of Expertise and/or Research
- PhD, Food Science, North Carolina State University, 1983
- MS, Food Science, North Carolina State University, 1980
- BS, Animal Science, University of Vemront, 1978
355 MLS Carrigan Wing
- NFS 313: Food Safety & Public Policy
- HCOL 185: Issues in Food Systems and Food Safety