Requirements for Admission to Graduate Studies for the Degree of Master of Public Administration
- A sound academic record, including a baccalaureate degree from an accredited undergraduate institution.
- Satisfactory scores on the general aptitude section of the Graduate Record Examination (GRE).*
- *If you have a minimum of five years of professional experience in public administration, you may be eligible for a GRE waiver. To see if you qualify, please email your resume to firstname.lastname@example.org for an assessment. International students who are required to take the TOEFL exam do not qualify for a GRE waiver.
- Three letters of recommendation attesting to the candidate's academic potential for graduate work and motivation for pursuing the M.P.A.
- Past experience in public service will be considered.
- Persons currently employed in administrative positions are encouraged to apply.
An additional requirement:
- Completion of three prerequisite courses–economics, American government, and statistics–by the end of a student's first semester in the MPA program.
- For international students whose native language is not English or who have not completed undergraduate degrees in English, Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores or IELTS scores must be submitted.
- Minimum acceptable scores for admission to the Graduate College at UVM:
|Internet Based (iBT)|
|TOEFL: Minimum to qualify for admission||90|
|TOEFL: Minimum to qualify for funding||100|
|IELTS: Minimum to qualify for admission||6.5|
|IELTS: Minimum to qualify for funding||7.0|
- Institution code for test scores for UVM is 3920.
Note: The application deadlines for the M.P.A. program are January 15 for fall funding consideration and all other admissions are on a rolling application basis. Students can choose to begin their program in Fall, Spring, or Summer semester.