Requirements for Admission to Graduate Studies for the Degree of Master of Public Administration
- A sound academic record, including a baccalaureate degree from an accredited undergraduate institution.
- The GRE is not required.
- Three letters of recommendation attesting to the candidate's academic potential for graduate work and motivation for pursuing the MPA.
- Resume or Curriculum Vitae.
- Past experience in public service will be considered.
- Persons currently employed in administrative positions are encouraged to apply.
- For those seeking limited funding opportunities, applicants are invited to submit (i) a writing sample, (ii) evidence of research experience (e.g., term papers, class projects, research reports and/or other descriptions of past research experience from academic or professional lives) and/or GRE scores. Applicants seeking funding are encouraged to contact firstname.lastname@example.org to find out whether there are research assistantships available for the current application year.
- The application deadlines for the MPA program are January 15 for fall funding consideration and all other admissions are on a rolling application basis. Students can choose to begin their program in Fall, Spring, or Summer semester.
An additional requirement:
- Completion of three prerequisite courses–economics, American government, and statistics–by the end of a student's first semester in the MPA program.
- For international students whose native language is not English or who have not completed undergraduate degrees in English, Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) scores or IELTS scores must be submitted.
- Minimum acceptable scores for admission to the Graduate College at UVM:
|Internet Based (iBT)|
|TOEFL: Minimum for admission to the Graduate College at UVM||90|
|TOEFL: Minimum for a student to qualify for funding at UVM||100|
|IELTS: Minimum for admission to the Graduate College at UVM||6.5|
|IELTS: Minimum for a student to qualify for funding at UVM||7.0|
|Duolingo: Minimum for admission to the Graduate College at UVM||110|
|Duolingo: Minimum for a student to qualify for funding at UVM||120|
- Institution code for test scores for UVM is 3920.