For the fourth year, the University of Vermont’s annual celebration and recognition of entrepreneurship and family businesses, the UVM Grossman School of Business, Family Business Awards, packed the Waterman Memorial Lounge on Friday.
Four awards were given out to recognize UVM alumni or Vermont based family businesses, that have overcome the challenges of succession to achieve lasting success. All of the winners demonstrated a commitment to creating successful businesses through leadership and innovation.
“Each winner has an inspiring story underscored by sustained business success in highly competitive markets” said Dr. Pramodita Sharma, of the School of Business Administration. “Good old fashioned hard work and strong community involvement, are smartly combined with innovative approaches to stay at the leading edge of their industries.”
The winners were:
MyWebGrocer, VT - 1st Generation: Start-up or purchased firms with multiple family members in ownership or operations. - http://mywebgrocer.com/
Boyden Valley , VT - Multi-Gen: US based enterprise UVM graduate led firm that has completed at least one generational transfer within the family - http://www.boydenvalley.com/
Barton Mines - Multi-Gen: Global enterprise UVM graduate led firm that has completed at least one generational transfer within the family - http://www.barton.com/
Branon Family Maple Orchards, VT - Vermont Legacy Achievement Award Vermont based family business recognized for outstanding and long lasting success - http://www.branonmaple.com/
The judging panel evaluated nominations and selected the winners based on the following criteria:
1. The financial success of the company,
2. Governance structures,
3. Contributions to the community and industry,
4. Demonstrated innovative business practices or strategies.
Our panel of judges comprised of:
· Emma Marvin - Butternut Mountain Farm, 2014 Multi-Gen US Based Award Winner
· Carlos Enrique Cavelier Lozano ('83) - Alqueria Dairy, 2014 Multi-Gen Global Business Award Winner
· James Lehouiller ('93) - Dileonardo International, Recipient of the 2013 UVM Family Business Global Multi- Gen Award
· Thomas Wheeler ('77) - A.W. Brown's Pet and Garden, Recipient of the 2013 UVM Family Business 1st Gen Award
· Karen Galfetti Zecchinelli ('84) - Wayside Restaurant, 2014 VT Legacy Achievement Award Winner
· PramoDITA Sharma Sanders Professor for Family Business, UVM Grossman School of Business (non-voting chair)
A huge thank you to the judges and everyone associated with the awards, and see you next year!