Students on walkway

We are excited you are considering transferring to the University of Vermont!

You would be joining an outstanding community of scholars at one of the nation's top public universities. Many transfer students have found a home at the University of Vermont, and we are eager to welcome more. If you are looking to finish your degree in a place where academics and community go hand-in-hand, and where students are provided with the resources to grow intellectually and culturally, then UVM may be for you.

Apply Now!

Students applying for admission may choose between the following applications:

Coalition Application


Common Application

$55 (U.S.) nonrefundable application fee. (Currently enrolled Community College of Vermont students will have their application fee waived).

For fall admission the recommended application deadline is April 15. Completed applications received by July 1 will be considered. 

For spring admission the recommended application deadline is November 1. Completed applications received by December 15 will be considered. 

Entrance Requirements

Most successful applicants exceed our minimum entrance requirements. Course work not completed at the high school level may be fulfilled by equivalent college-level work. In general, one semester of college work is considered the equivalent of one year of high school study. Read the Articulation Agreements

  • four years of English
  • three years of mathematics (Algebra I, Algebra II and geometry or equivalents)
  • two years of the same foreign language (American sign language meets this requirement)
  • three years of a natural or physical science, including a laboratory science
  • three years of social sciences


All transfer applicants apply to one of the following seven schools or colleges. Please note additional entrance requirements.

Agriculture and Life Sciences
Required: One year of biology and one year of chemistry for science majors. Recommended: Candidates are strongly encouraged to take one year of physics and at least one year of math beyond Algebra II (precalculus/calculus is preferred).

Arts and Sciences
Recommended: In addition to the University's minimum entrance requirements from secondary school, college level course work that spans literature, humanities, fine arts, languages, social sciences, math, and science disciplines.

Transfer candidates who have earned significant credit hours at other institutions are advised to consult the UVM Catalogue regarding degree completion timeline.

Note to music majors: Candidates for entry into UVM as a music major seeking the B.A. or the B.Mus. degree must pass an audition as part of the process (except concentrations in Music Business and Technology). 

Grossman School of Business
The Grossman School of Business requires transfer applicants to have completed at least one semester of college level calculus and one semester of college level economics, micro or macro-economics is preferred, with at least a 2.5 (C+) or better. AP credits are acceptable. Transfer applicants who do not meet this requirement will only be considered for their second major choice. 

Please review the University's transfer credit policy (above) regarding upper level business field, strategic theme, and concentration requirements. Transfer credits must come from an AACSB-accredited institution.

Education and Social Services
Recommended: One year of biology for Human Development and Family Studies and Social Work majors.

Recommended: Math and science course work beyond the minimum for teacher education majors.

Note to music education majors: Candidates for entry into UVM as a music education major seeking the B.S. degree must pass an audition as part of the process.

Engineering and Mathematical Sciences
Required: Four years of math, including trigonometry or pre-calculus. One year of chemistry and one year of physics for all engineering majors. All other majors: two years of a laboratory-based science.

The Rubenstein School of Environment and Natural Resources
Required: One year of biology and one year of chemistry or physics. Additional year of college preparatory math beyond Algebra 2.

Nursing and Health Sciences
Required: One year of biology and one year of chemistry for all majors; four years of math, including trigonometry or pre-calculus.

Recommended: Additional science course work beyond chemistry and biology in the senior year of high school for all majors. One year of physics is recommended for Exercise and Movement Science, Medical Radiation Sciences, and Medical Laboratory Science majors.

Important Codes for Applying

  • UVM College Board Code: 3920
  • ACT Code: 4322
  • FAFSA Title IV Code: 003696
  • TOEFL Code: 3920

There is no IELTS code; students taking this test should indicate the results be sent to:

University of Vermont
Office of Admissions
194 South Prospect Street
Burlington, VT 05401

High School/Secondary School Information

Request that a final, official high school transcript be sent directly to UVM.

Post-Secondary Institution Information

Contact each college/university attended directly to request an official transcript be sent to UVM (Registrars may submit official transcripts electronically at

Transferring Credits

For credit to transfer into the University of Vermont, the following criteria must be met:

  • Courses taken at an academically accredited, degree-granting institution.
  • Grade earned equivalent to a "C" or higher (2.0 on a 4-point scale).
  • Courses are considered comparable in content, nature and intensity to those offered at UVM, as determined by the Office of Transfer Affairs.

GPA note: Courses transferred in this manner are added to your UVM transcript as credit. The GPA earned for those courses does not affect your UVM GPA. All transfer credit is provisional until you have successfully completed one semester of coursework at UVM.

The UVM Credit Transfer Guide provides information that may be helpful to you as we do not provide a preliminary credit evaluation prior to admission. To discuss how your previous credits may fit with a UVM degree, please contact our transfer coordinator at (802) 656-4624.

There are limits to those credits that can be applied to the degree program and/or major selected. In general, 30 of the last 45 credits earned for the UVM degree must be taken at the University. Consult the online catalogue for specific college/school policies.

AP, IB, CLEP and credit for other courses/exams taken

Advanced Placement (AP)

Credit is granted for AP exam scores of 4 or 5 in most subjects; scores of 3 are accepted in some areas. Please consult our complete AP chart (PDF). To receive credit, either submit your official AP Score Report from the College Board with your application for admission, or once admitted/enrolled, submit your official score report from the College Board directly to the Office of Transfer Affairs.

International Baccalaureate (IB)

If you have completed International Baccalaureate (IB) coursework and received a score of 5 or greater on higher level IB exams, you may be eligible for transfer credit (UVM does not award credit for standard level IB exams). It is not necessary to have completed the entire IB curriculum to qualify for transfer credit. Please consult our PDF icon IB Guide (PDF).

Please submit an official IB transcript along with your application for admission. Up to one year of introductory level credit may be awarded in a discipline. If you are admitted to UVM and have questions about IB credit review, please contact the Office of Transfer Affairs.

College credit taken in high school

College level coursework completed in high school may be eligible for transfer credit. Coursework must be through a regionally accredited, degree-granting college or university and may be taught within a high school setting; an example of a high school-based program is the Syracuse University Project Advance Program (SUPA). Please submit all official transcripts of college coursework along with your application; transcripts will be reviewed upon admission to the university.

College Level Examination Program (CLEP)

Students taking College Level Examination Program (CLEP) exams may receive transfer credit, provided a similar course of study was not attempted at the college level. The credit award depends on the year you took the exam as well as your score. A minimum score for most exams is 50 (comparable to a grade of C). To see how CLEP scores are awarded at UVM, please consult the CLEP Comparability Guide (PDF).

Credit for CLEP exams may be applied toward distribution requirements and toward total semester hours when approved by the dean of the UVM college to which you have been admitted. To receive credit, an official score report must be sent directly by the College Board to UVM's Office of Transfer Affairs. Transcripts from other institutions displaying your CLEP scores cannot be used to award credit. For information about how to order an official score report, please contact the College Board.

Credit for international post-secondary examinations

Due to the rigorous nature of some international educational systems, the following exams may also be eligible for transfer credit:

  • Advanced-Level General Certificate of Education Examinations of the British Examination Councils (A-levels)
  • German Abitur
  • Colleges d' Enseignement General et Professional (CEGEP) in Quebec, Canada: Only the second and third years of CEGEP are eligible for transfer credit; the first year is not eligible.
  • Scottish Certificate of Sixth Year Studies: Students must earn a pass of A, B, or C.

For information about receiving credit for these exams, contact the Office of Transfer Affairs.

Contact Information

If you have questions about transferring any of these types of credit before or during the application process, please contact the Office of Admissions via e-mail or phone:

Students who are admitted should contact the Office of the Registrar, Transfer Affairs directly with questions about credit transfer:


Transfer Student FAQs

How do I confirm my acceptance fee?

To guarantee your enrollment at the University of Vermont for the semester you have been admitted to, you must pay the $495 acceptance fee and notify us of your intention to enroll on or before the date specified in your acceptance letter. Read more about how you can complete the enrollment process online:

Pay your acceptance fee online through our application status page. Simply login with your applicant email and select the "reply to your offer of admission". Once you have accepted your offer, you will receive a confirmation message and e-mail for your records.

Deadline extensions: Deadline extensions are granted only if you have applied for need-based financial aid and have not received your financial aid package within three working days of the deadline or, if you have not received your official credit evaluation within three working days of the deadline. If you need to request an extension, please e-mail the Admissions Office before the payment deadline.

What is the acceptance fee?

For admitted students to secure a space at UVM, an acceptance fee of $495 made payable to the University of Vermont is required. The acceptance fee is a one-time fee separate from tuition; it is not a tuition deposit.

Payment may be made by check or money order payable to the University of Vermont or by credit card (cash is not accepted). Checks may be sent to UVM Admissions, 194 South Prospect St., Burlington, VT 05401. Please be sure to indicate the name of the student, birth date and permanent mailing address.

To withdraw: If your plans to enroll change before the payment deadline, you may request a full refund of the acceptance fee. After the payment deadline, the acceptance fee is non-refundable. Send your withdrawal request in writing to the Admissions Office.

May I come for a visit before making my final decision?

We encourage all newly admitted transfer students to come for a visit to our beautiful campus.

When will I hear about financial aid and scholarships?

If you are transferring to the University of Vermont and applied for federal aid for your previous institution, you may call the federal processor at 1-800-4-FEDAID to give them the UVM school code (003696). You will need to supply the Data Release Number (DRN) listed on your Student Aid Report (SAR). When your data is received by UVM, the Financial Aid Office will contact you and request any additional information that may be required. A final financial aid award notification will be sent after all required documents are received.

Starting in early November, admitted students for the spring semester are notified of merit scholarship awards typically within two weeks of receiving their letter of admission. Starting in early February, admitted transfer students for the fall semester are notified of merit scholarship awards typically within two weeks of receiving their letter of admission.

All transfer students are automatically considered for academic scholarships based on their admissions application; no separate application is required.

For more information about the Financial Aid process and different types of aid, you can consult the Financial Aid Office by e-mail by phone: (802) 656-5700 or fax: (802) 656-4076.

What are the on/off-campus employment opportunities?

Students who qualify for federal Financial Aid may be eligible for positions through the federal Work Study program. Many students also find employment at businesses in the Burlington area.

How do I request on-campus housing?

All transfer students are either required or eligible to live on campus.

The University of Vermont  guarantees on-campus housing for transfer students younger than 20 years old on the first day of classes.  Beginning fall semester 2018, new transfer students who have not turned 20 by the first day of classes will be required to live on campus in the residence halls for their first two semesters.

Students 20 and older can request housing and there is a good likelihood they will receive it, but it is not guanrateed. If you wish to live on-campus, please complete a housing request form available on the Residential Life website as soon as you have received our offer of admission.

How do I locate off-campus housing?

We recommend the following resources for off-campus housing:

How may I apply to the Honors College as a transfer student?

Transfer students with first-year standing are eligible to apply to UVM's selective Honors College. Transfer applicants must have a cumulative grade point average above 3.4 and will be required to submit an essay and academic letter of recommendation along with their application. Contact Britten Chase for more information: (802) 656-0427.

When do I register for classes?

UVM operates on the semester system. Please note:

  • Academic calendars are available online.
  • A complete listing of courses may be viewed in the University Catalogue.
  • Transfer students may register for courses after receiving instructions from their academic unit once the acceptance fee has been paid and they have received their official credit evaluation. Check your credit evaluation. If appropriate, you may also register for courses.
  • Please make sure that all final transcripts from your previous institutions are sent directly to the Office of Transfer Affairs at 85 South Prospect St., 360 Waterman Building, Burlington, VT 05405.
  • Students interested in summer or evening courses may contact the Division of Continuing Education.

Will I be assigned to an academic advisor?

Academic Advising is an integral part of your UVM experience and is one that follows students through his or her entire university career. UVM places a high value on the advisor-student relationship, and every student is paired with an appropriate professor prepared to assist them with every success at the university level. Once you have received your official credit evaluation, you may contact your academic dean’s office to make arrangements for an advising appointment; this may be conducted in person or over the phone.

Is there a transfer student orientation?

We encourage all new transfer students enrolled for fall semester to attend one of the summer transfer orientation sessions. Transfer students entering in the spring semester should contact the UVM Orientation program to reserve a space in the January orientation session (Visit the UVM Orientation program website). Reservations should be made as early as possible; you may not reserve a space at orientation until you have paid your acceptance fee.

How do I change my major?

It is not uncommon for students to change majors. Selecting a different major sometimes involves changing from one undergraduate school or college within the university to another. Provided a student is in good academic standing and that space is available in the new area of study selected, requests for a major change are, in most cases, easily accommodated.

Prior to payment deadline: If you have been admitted to the university and you would like to change your major, please send your request in writing to with the subject "Major Change Request." Include your full name, mailing address, and the major for which you would like to be considered.

After acceptance fee has been paid: For major change requests after payment of acceptance fee, please be in touch with the dean's office of the academic unit in which you would like to pursue coursework.

How do I get credit for an Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB) or CLEP exam?

To learn about credit given for Advanced Placement (AP), International Baccalaureate (IB), College Level Examination Program (CLEP) and other courses/exams taken in high school, visit our section on transferring other credits.

Can I get a preview of what credits might transfer to UVM?

Before you receive your official transfer credit evaluation, you may be interested in viewing our Transfer Credit Guide to see how courses have transferred to UVM in the past. By selecting your state and the college/university that you will be transferring credits from, you can see what courses have transferred to UVM and what courses they received credit for. This guide is constantly being updated and does not substitute for the official evaluation of transfer credit by the Office of Transfer Affairs that transfer students receive electronically after being admitted.

How do I transfer credits from another institution to UVM?

For college credit to transfer into the University of Vermont, the following criteria must be met:

  • You took courses at an academically accredited, degree-granting institution.
  • You earned a grade equivalent to a "C" or higher (2.0 on a 4.0-point scale).
  • The courses are considered comparable in content, nature, and intensity to those offered at UVM.

The UVM Registrar's Office keeps records of credits online that have previously transferred to UVM from other institutions. If a course is not listed, it does not necessarily mean that the credit will not transfer; it may simply mean a student has not previously attempted to have credit from that course at that institution transfer to UVM. Once a transfer applicant has been offered admission, their official transcripts are forwarded to the Office of Transfer Affairs. They will perform an official credit evaluation that will be available online 5-7 days after our offer of admission. Please make sure that all final transcripts are sent directly to the Office of Transfer Affairs at 85 S. Prospect St., 360 Waterman Building, Burlington, VT 05405 so that a final credit evaluation may be completed.

How do I read my Transfer Equivalency Worksheet?

Transfer students receive their Transfer Equivalency Worksheet shortly after being accepted to UVM. Credit evaluation at the University of Vermont is a two-level process. The transfer credit listed on your worksheet is accepted at the University of Vermont. The academic dean of the college in which you become a candidate for a degree determines how the course(s) fit specific degree requirements, as well as how many credits must be taken to complete a degree. The Transfer Equivalency Worksheet (below) will help you interpret your official transfer credit evaluation.

How do I obtain a parking permit?

Transportation and Parking Services provides detailed information on parking and an application for parking passes. Students are free to park in other lots on campus in the evenings and on weekends. Check parking signs for specific information.

How do I connect with UVM activities?

New transfer students are strongly encouraged to review the many ways in which our student body remains connected and engaged in different activities and opportunities. With over 150 Student Government Clubs and Organizations, as well as planned activities, there is usually something for everyone to enjoy. With approximately 67% of our student body from out-of-state, the campus is thriving on the weekends; there’s always much to do.

How do I get around the campus?


Use your application email to check your application status on the AppStatus page.