Our program offers a variety of activities to enrich participants’ preparation for college and careers. These activities include:
- standardized test preparation (SAT, ACT, etc.),
- career awareness workshops,
- community service projects,
- leadership-building activities,
- financial aid literacy and scholarship application workshops,
- college visits and advising through college selection.
These activities are available during the Academic Year via Saturday College and within a summer experience called Summer College.
Notably, Upward Bound maintains contact with our alumni through college graduation. In addition, staff will provide alumni participants advising and assistance while enrolled in college and, if requested, through the transfer process.
Saturday College is held the first Saturday of each month during the school year except September, January and June. Upward Bound students participate in grade-specific seminars: college and scholarship application completion for 12th graders, college entrance test preparation for 11th graders, and college and career readiness exploration for 9th and 10th graders. In addition, participants engage in a variety of community service, cultural and college preparatory activities.
Summer College is a six-week program for all rising 9th, 10th, 11th and 12th grade Upward Bound participants. The program is held at UVM and consists of a leadership trip, an intensive academic enrichment curriculum, and a college/career immersion experience.
- Leadership Trip is offered the first week of Summer College. The focus is to build a sense of community, self-reliance and self-confidence within a structured, well-supervised schedule of activities. The Leadership Trip includes travel beyond the Burlington area and includes college tours, cultural events and community service.
- Academic Enrichment Curriculum is a five-week program following the Leadership Trip. It consists of courses in literature and composition, mathematics through pre-calculus, laboratory sciences, foreign language, SAT/ACT preparation and other subjects. Courses are taught by college faculty, high school teachers and/or other qualified professionals in the community.
- College/Career Immersion Experience provides opportunities for our participants to visit colleges and experience a more in-depth exposure to residential and campus life. Three to four colleges are visited during the Summer College - each trip includes an overnight experience, college tour, Admissions presentation followed by a community service project, career site visit, and/or a cultural event.
Upward Bound participants are eligible to receive stipends of up to $15/ week during Summer College. To receive the weekly stipend participants must complete all of their coursework and participation expectations.