Woman looking out window

In the event that you or a friend have been sexually assaulted, UVM has a number of resources available to support you.


What to do IMMEDIATELY Following an Assault

First and foremost, make sure you are safe from any further harm. Get to a safe place, if you can. Once there, you may want to contact a friend/family member, your RA, the Campus Victim’s Advocate at (802) 656-7892, or another person that you trust to be with you.

If you feel that you are in an unsafe situation, contact Police Services at 911 or (802) 656-3473, and they will be able to assist you.


Preserve evidence.

While it may be exactly what you feel like doing, DO NOT BATHE or DOUCHE.  If oral contact took place, TRY NOT TO EAT OR BRUSH YOUR TEETH.

If you haven’t changed clothes, keep the original garments on, and bring an extra set with you to the hospital if you will be seeking medical attention. The police may need to keep your clothes as evidence if you file a report.

If you have changed clothes, place the clothes in a paper bag (plastic can destroy evidence).


Seek medical treatment.

Medical attention is very important, as you may have obtained injuries during the assault. Go the closest emergency room (in Burlington, UVM Medical Center).

At the hospital, you can be tested for sexually transmitted infections and receive emergency contraception, if needed. If you think you may have been drugged, you must ask a health professional to perform a test to verify.

The Campus Victim's Advocate or community advocate can meet you at the hospital to provide support and information, if desired.


You may choose to file a report.

While you are not required to file a report in order to receive medical attention or assistance from campus and community resources, you may do so at any point following an assault.

For more information about reporting sexual assault and other sexual misconduct at UVM, click here.


Seek support.

Reach out to any of the confidential resources on campus in order to talk about how you’re doing and to learn about your options. You can call Counseling & Psychiatry Services, the Student Health Center/Women’s Health Clinic, campus clergy, or the Campus Victim’s Advocate for help.