UVM encourages any person who has experienced or witnessed a bias incident, discrimination, or harassment to report the conduct to UVM and to utilize available support services. Individuals may also wish to report criminal conduct to UVM Police at 802-656-3473. Affirmative Action and Equal Opportunity (AAEO) is the internal UVM office that investigates complaints of discrimination and harassment based on legally protected categories. Protected categories include race, color, religion, disability, national or ethnic origin, age, sex, veteran status, gender/gender identity, and sexual orientation.
UVM’s Bias Response Program addresses incidents of bias targeting UVM students, faculty, and staff. The program educates the campus community about bias, and institutional policies, protocols, and resources related to bias. Bias incidents involve speech or expressive conduct that is based on or motivated by the individual or group’s real or perceived race, religion, sexual orientation, ethnicity, national origin, ancestry, gender, age, disability, or gender identity and/or expression. Bias incidents may include conduct or speech that is protected by the First Amendment. Report Bias Incidents to the Bias Response Program, administered by the Dean of Students.
Hate Crimes: A Hate Crime is a criminal offense against persons or property that is motivated by the victim’s actual or perceived membership in a protected category. Hate crimes are defined by Vermont law at 13 V.S.A. § 1455. Please report to UVM Police at 802-656-3473 or 911 as a first step. AAEO is also available as a resource, at 802-656-3368 or email@example.com.
Confidential Support Services
- Employee Assistance Program: Confidential counseling services for UVM employees. Contact (802) 864-3270 or toll-free at 1-866-660-9533.
- Campus Victim’s Advocate: The Campus Victim's Advocate provides advocacy, referrals and support for faculty, staff and students who have experienced some form of sexual violence, intimate partner violence and/or stalking. These services are provided to all members of the UVM community, regardless of race, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, income level, ability, education or other forms of identity. (802) 656-7892
- UVM Counseling and Psychiatry Services (CAPS): Confidential counseling services for students. (802) 656-3340
- UVM Student Health Services: Confidential health care services for students. (802) 656-3350
Other UVM Resources
- Division of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
- Diversity and Inclusion at UVM
- The Mosaic Center for Students of Color: 802-656-3819
- Prism Center (LGBTQA): 802-656-8637
- Interfaith Center: 802-656-4703
- Women’s and Gender Equity Center: 802-656-7892
- Office of International Education: 802-656-4296
- Dean of Students Office: 656-3380
- American Civil Liberties Union, Vermont Office: 802-223-6304
- HOPE Works 24 hour hotline (support for survivors of sexual violence/misconduct): 1-800-489-7273
- SafeSpace (Pride Center of Vermont): 802-863-0003
- Steps to End Domestic Violence: 802-658-1996