A Composer window opens. Note the word-processor-like tools.
Before we get any farther, we need to establish our Publishing environment. From the File menu, choose Publish.
Now click the New Site button
Enter your Publish Settings. Substitute your own NetID for jstudent below. Note the s in https. Note that the publishing address is webdav.uvm.edu, while the homepage address is www.uvm.edu . When done, click the Publish button.
This annoying little message appears. click OK.
Now the tab will swicth from Settings to Publish.
- Enter an informative Title for the page (the title is what what appears in the titlebar of the browser when someone looks for your page. It also represents the text that will appear in Google results is somebody's Google search happens to turn up your page).
- Enter a Filename for the page. The name index.html is a special name: when someone goes to your web page address (http://www.uvm.edu/~jstudent), this is the first page they'll see (your home page).
- Click Publish
Note that a vistit to your home page now produces some trivial but positive results. Note the page Title in the Title Bar.
As you publish subsequent pages, choose different titles and file names for each. Keep track of the file names!
- You'll need to remember the file names to use later when you try to make links to those pages
- Capital letters and spaces and punctuation are fine in Titles
- Capital letters and spaces and punctuation are troublesome in file names. Keep those short and simple.
Later, when you need to edit one of these pages again, launch Mozilla and return to your web site (http://www.uvm.edu/~jstudent)...
From the File menu, choose Edit Page
Make your changes, then from the File menu again choose Publish
If you are using a different computer, you may need to re-enter your publishing information
Last modified March 01 2006 10:01 PM