Blackboard at UVM
Blackboard is an online course management system that supports collaboration, resource sharing, learning assessment, and multiple means of communication between students, instructors, and TAs. Every course in the Banner system has an associated Blackboard course space that is automatically populated with registered students. UVM is currently using Blackboard Learn (Release 9).
Learn how to use Blackboard and how to get help
- Learn Blackboard basics with our How-tos
- Visit the online knowledge base for more help
- Call the 24/7 Blackboard support line or Chat Live (Directions here)
- Look for workshops on the CTL events calendar
- Contact the CTL Dr. Is In by email firstname.lastname@example.org (for instructors and TAs)
- Learn more about the CTL Dr. Is In program
Important dates in the Blackboard cycle
- Read about when courses are created and when they are deleted from Bb.
Blackboard courses are available for five semesters. At any given point your current semester course will be available, as well as the next semester and the last three semesters. NOTE: This is based on a three-semester schedule, Fall, Spring and Summer.
Example: In October, 2010, these courses will be live on the server:
- Current semester, Fall '10
- Next semester, Spring '11
- Past three semesters: Summer and Spring '10 and Fall '09
Instructors (or TAs) can control whether a course is available to students. Learn how to turn course availability on and off, here.
Blackboard Usage at UVM
- Read about usage: how many are using it and how.
In the Spring semester of 2010, there were approximately 12,000 active students and 1,900 active instructors working in over 2000 active Blackboard courses.
Many UVM faculty are using Blackboard to
- to distribute course materials online (reducing paper use!)
- give assignments using a variety of tools
- facilitate collaborative work amongst students using tools relevant to group work
- administer low-stakes tests and conduct surveys
- distribute grades to students
Known Problems with Blackboard
We maintain a list of known issues and the status of upgrades and corrections. Read about the known problems here.