Outreach and Publications
M., Horsfall, F. Holligshead, A., Meyers, J. and
Dupigny-Giroux, L-A., (2015) “NOAA Local Climate Analysis Tool (LCAT):
Data, Methods, and Usability,” Bulletin of the American Meteorological
Society, doi: 10.1175/BAMS-D-13-00187.1. [The LCAT Tool was
awarded the NOAA Department of Commerce Silver Medal]
- Dupigny-Giroux, L.-A., “Climate literacy”, in The International Encyclopaedia of Geography: People, the Earth, Environment, and Technology, Wiley-Blackwell and the Association of American Geographers. Invited submission. Accepted 13 July, 2014. In press - publication December 2016
- Oswald, E.M. and Dupigny-Giroux, L.-A. (2015) “On the availability of
high-resolution data for
near-surface climate analysis in the continental U.S.,” Geography Compass, 9(12): 617-636, DOI: 10.1111/gec3.12249.
- Oswald, E. M., Dupigny-Giroux, L.-A., Leibensperger, E., Poirot, R. and Merrell, J. (2015) “Climate controls on air quality in the Northeastern U.S.: An examination of ozone statistics during 1993-2012," Atmospheric Environment, doi:10.1016/j.atmosenv.2015.04.019.
- Horton, R., Solecki, W. and Rosenzweig (2015). Lead author on the chapter "Clarifying the communication of climate and climate change," in the Climate Change in the Northeast: A Sourcebook, for the NorthEast Region chapter of the 2013 National Climate Assessment report, US Global Change Research Program, Office of Science and Technology Policy. Also contributing lead author on "Case Study on the Impacts of Hurricane Irene." [in press for publication]
- Dupigny-Giroux, L-A., Toolin, R., Fortney, M.D. and Hogan, S. (2012) "The Satellites, Weather and Climate (SWAC) teacher professional development program: Making the case for climate and geospatial literacy", Journal of Geoscience Education, 60: 133-146.
- In the Nation’s Best Interest: Making the Most of NOAA’s Science Enterprise, A Report to the NOAA Science Advisory Board by the Research & Development Portfolio Review Task Force (2013). Appointed member of the Task Force.
- Horton, R., Solecki, W. and Rosenzweig (2012). Contributing author to the Climate Change in the Northeast: A Sourcebook, for the NorthEast Region chapter of the 2013 National Climate Assessment report, US Global Change Research Program, Office of Science and Technology Policy. Peer-reviewed.
- Dupigny-Giroux, L.-A. (2012) Igniting a passion for climate, International Innovation, Research Media, United Kingdom, June pp. 79-81.
- Dupigny-Giroux, L.-A.L. (2010) "Addressing the challenges of climate science literacy: Lessons from students, teachers & lifelong learners", Geography Compass, 4/9 (2010): 1203?1217, 10.1111/j.1749-8198.2010.00368.x.
- Prevatt, D.O., Dupigny-Giroux, L. and Masters, F.J. (2010) Engineering Perspectives on Reducing Hurricane Damage to Housing in CARICOM Caribbean Islands, Natural Hazards Review, Vol.11, No.4. CASCE, ISSN 1527-6988/2010/4-140-150.
- Prevatt, D.O., Dupigny-Giroux, L.A. and Masters, F.J. (2010) Chapter 13 “Twenty-five years of Caribbean hurricane disaster mitigation” in Wind Storm and Storm Surge Mitigation, (CDRM4), American Society of Civil Engineers, Reston VA, pp. 153-161.
- Dupigny-Giroux, L.-A. (2009) Backward seasons, droughts and other bioclimatic indicators of variability in Historical climate variability and impacts in North America, Lesley-Ann Dupigny-Giroux and Cary Mock (Editors), Springer Publishers, pp.231-250.
- Dupigny-Giroux, L-A.. and Mock, C.J. (co-editors)(2009) Historical climate variability and impacts in North America, Springer Publishers.
- Dupigny-Giroux,L.-A. (2008) "Introduction - Climate science literacy - A state of the knowledge overview", Physical Geography, 29(6):483-486 [guest editor].
- Dupigny-Giroux, L.-A. and Furtak-Cole, E. (2008) Multiangular imaging ofwetlands in New England, in Wetlands: Ecology, Conservation and Restoration, Raymundo Russo (editor), Nova Science Publishers, Inc.pp. 7-14.
- Dupigny-Giroux, L.-A., Ross, T.F., Elms, J.D., Truesdell, R. and Doty, S.R. (2007) NOAAs Climate Database Modernization Program - Rescuing, archiving and digitizing history, Bulletin of the American Meteorological Society,Volume 88, No. pp.1015-1017.
- Dupigny-Giroux, L.-A. (2007) Using AirMISR data to explore moisture-driven land use-land cover variations at the Howland Forest, Maine - a case study Remote Sensing of Environment, 107, pp.376-384.
- Biglin, K.A. and Dupigny-Giroux, L.-A. (2006) The ecological impact of the Chittenden County Circumferential Highway: Mapping the road-effect zone Journal of Conservation and Planning, Volume 2, pp. 1-31
- Dupigny-Giroux, L.-A. Hanning, J.R. and Engstrom, E. (2006)Orographic influence on frontally-produced flooding in northern Vermont - The 14-15 July 1997 event, Physical Geography, Volume 26, No. 2, pp. 1-38.
- Dupigny-Giroux, L.-A., Blackwell, C.F., Bristow, S.W. and Olson, G.M. (2003) Vegetation response to ice disturbance and consecutive moisture extremes, International Journal of Remote Sensing, Volume 24, No. 10, 20 May, pp. 2105-2129.
- Dupigny-Giroux, L.-A. (2002) "Climate variability and socioeconomic consequences of Vermont's natural hazards: A historical perspective," Vermont History, Volume 70, Winter/Spring, pp. 19-39.
- Dupigny-Giroux, L.-A. (2001) "Towards Characterizing and Planning for Drought in Vermont - Part I: A Climatological Perspective", Journal of the American Water Resources Association, Volume 37, No. 3, pp.505-525.
- Dupigny-Giroux, L.-A. (2001) "Towards Characterizing and Planning for Drought In Vermont - Part II: Policy Implications", Journal of the American Water Resources Association, Volume 37, No. 3, pp. 527-531.
- Dupigny-Giroux, L.-A. (2000) Impacts and Consequences of the Ice Storm of 1998 for the North American northeast, Weather, Volume 55, No.1, pp.7-14.
- Dupigny-Giroux, L.-A. (1999) The Influence of the El Niño-Southern Oscillation and other Teleconnections on Winter Storms in the North American Northeast - A Case Study, Physical Geography, Volume 20, No. 5, pp.394-412.
- Dupigny-Giroux, L.-A. and Lewis, J.E. (1999) "A Moisture Index for Surface Characterization over a Semiarid Area", Photogrammetric Engineering and Remote Sensing, Volume 65, No. 8, pp. 937-945.
- A Synoptic Climatology of Flooding in New England by Lesley-Ann Dupigny-Giroux and Christopher Loughner
- Climate of Vermont by Lesley-Ann Dupigny-Giroux
- Drought Follows the Deluge in Vermont by Lesley-Ann Dupigny-Giroux
- Viewpoint - Tropical Storm Irene
- Viewpoint - Lake Champlain flooding
- Hurricanes, Hypercanes, and the Limits of Prediction
- Just 2 Questions (from UVM Notebook)
- Satellite, Weather, and Climate - UVM Today article
- Rules of Engagement: Service learning rooted in UVM's John Dewey heritage by Sarah Tuff
- Vermont Public Television's "Emerging Science" Features UVM
- Weather Reporter (from UVM's The View) by Kevin Foley
- Blue Sky Thinking for Climate Education
- Backward Seasons, Droughts, Maple Sugaring, and Other Indicators of Historic Climate Fluctuations
- The Last Irene: Where Did All the Water Come From?
- Meeting UVM's Land Grant Mission: A Reflection on the Vermont State Climate Office
- Drought conditions linger underground, In Vermont water supplies (28 September 2012)
- Interview during the State Climatologists Annual Meeting in Burlington (9 July 2008)
- State officials watch for drought conditions (16 August 2002)
Center for Research on Vermont presentations - RETN
Vermont Woman article - April 2012
Vermont Public Radio interviews
Leahy Environmental Summit
Outreach Activities - Fostering Interaction
The Office of the State Climatologist is dedicated to enhancing the
interaction among climate and weather professionals/researchers in Vermont
and its environs. Some of these efforts represent a continuation of the
activities of the Vermont Weather Users' Group. Others are collaborative
ventures with agencies and institutions around Vermont. To date, the
following activities have taken place.
- Inaugural Symposium for statewide collaboration in:
- Climatology/Meteorology in Vermont
- Geographic Information Systems
- Vermont Climate & Meteorology Listserv
- Climate Change in Vermont Research Group
- Champlain Basin Education Initiative (CBEI)
- For information on how to join the climate/meteorology listserv, drop us a line.
Last modified January 23 2016 11:04 PM