Vermont State Climate Office ARSCO
"Today more than ever, being climate literate is a critical skill and knowledge area that influences our interaction with the environment around us, our understanding of scientific news and the daily decisions that we make. Climate literacy deals with the complexity and interconnectedness of hydrometeorologic patterns (e.g. droughts, cold spells) over space and time, the role that humans exert and the ability to "act accordingly" having understood the above, as well as the recognition of bias or the change in behavior due to a deeper appreciation of an issue or concept" (Dupigny-Giroux, 2010)
This page brings together some of the leading peer-reviewed and vetted resources around achieving a climate literate citizenry.
- Climate Literacy Network
- Climate Literacy. The Essential Principles of Climate Science
- Literacy Frameworks for Earth System Science Education
- Encyclopedia of Earth's Climate Literacy Handbook
- Climate literacy - State of the Knowledge
- Dupigny-Giroux, L.-A.L. (2010) "Addressing the challenges of climate science literacy: Lessons from students, teachers & lifelong learners", Geography Compass, 4/9 (2010): 1203–1217, 10.1111/j.1749-8198.2010.00368.x.
- Satellites, Weather and Climate (SWAC) - An NSF Climate Literacy Professional Development Program for K-12 Educators
Last modified April 27 2011 09:56 PM