Support that targets the needs of women farmers
The Vermont Farm Women's Fund provides stipends and scholarships to help women farmers build thriving businesses and to participate in agricultural policy development. Since 2008, the fund has made 68 awards.
Vermont's working landscape depends on women farmers.
- Half of Vermont's 6984 farms have at least one woman operator.
- The number of female principal farm operators in Vt. increased from 967 to 1466 in 5 years.
VFWF provides support that makes a difference.
- VFWF stipends and scholarships provide funds that would otherwise be unavailable through other loan and grant programs.
Women farmers face particular challenges.
- Women typically operate smaller farms and earn less than men;
- Women frequently have different educational needs concerning farm production, marketing and finance.
Last modified October 01 2013 09:53 PM