Support that targets the needs of women farmers
The Vermont Farm Women's Fund provides stipends and scholarships to help women farmers build thriving businesses and to participate in agricultural policy development. Since 2009, the fund has made 71 awards totaling over $36,000.
Vermont's working landscape depends on women farmers.
- Nearly 60 percent of Vermont's 7310 farms have at least one woman operator.
- Between 2002 and 2012, the number of female principal farm operators in Vermont. increased from 967 to 1642.
VFWF provides support that makes a difference.
- VFWF stipends and scholarships provide funds that would otherwise be unavailable through other loan and grant programs.
Women farmers face particular challenges.
- Women typically operate smaller farms and earn less than men;
- Women frequently have different educational needs concerning farm production, marketing and finance.
Last modified December 12 2016 07:34 AM