University of Vermont

UVM Student Veteran Services

Classroom of students

Know Your Status:

Are you eligible for more than one program?  Take a look at the information on this page and make the right choice. Also be sure you know what you're eligible for, how payments are made and applied to your account, and what your responsibilities are as a student.  You can also see Factors to Consider.

VA Education Benefits

UVM Veteran Services can help you use the following VA Education Benefits at UVM.  If  you are unsure which program you are eligibile for and would best suit your needs take a look at the "Road Map for Success".  You can always contact or check out our FAQ Section to find answers.  

Benefits Descriptions:

Chapter 30 (Montgomery GI Bill - Active Duty)
Chapter 1606 (Montgomery GI Bill - Selected Reserve)
Chapter 1607 (Montgomery GI Bill - Reserve Educational Assistance Program)
Chapter 31 (Vocational Rehabilitation)

Voc Rehab is a benefit available for veterans with a service connected disability. You must be certified by UVM to receive your housing allowance and be put on the list to receive your books and supplies.
Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 GI Bill)
Chapter 33 (Post-9/11 GI Bill - Transfer of Entitlement)
Chapter 35 (Dependents Educational Assistance)

Military Branch Specific - Tuition Assistance

How does it work?

Learn about the Department of Veterans Affairs and know who to contact about what.

If you are new to using VA Education Benefits the first thing you need to do is check out the New Student Veterans Page. VA makes all decisions about eligibility based upon information between their system and DOD records.  If you are eligibile you will receive a Certificate of Eligibility from VA that states the benefit you have selected and remaining entitlement in month(s).  You can check on the status of a claim by setting up a VA eBenefits Account.  Once accepted as a student you must submit your Certificate of Eligibility to UVM through the myUVM Portal or in person at the Registrar's Office in the Waterman building.  It is important to fill out the FAFSA as you may be eligible for additional financial aid - make sure you don't miss out! After you register for classes you must submit a Request for Enrollment Certification through the myUVM Portal Veterans Page.  Learn what support is available on campus and prepare for your classes.  Ask questions!

Checklist - Information for New Student Veterans

Iraq and Afghanistan Veterans of America created a Chapter 33 (Post 9/11 GI Bill) checklist for students to use.  The checklist guides students through the process and is another source of information that can help transitioning service members navigate the VA and higher education application processes.  You can use that checklist along with UVM's New Student Veterans Page to make sure you're on track.  Always remember that when in doubt, a phone call or email to the department or person you have a question for is a great idea.  They're happy to help - it's what they're here for.

You can apply for VA Education Benefits or change the school you are attending online using VONAPP or by printing and submitting the appropriate paper form on the VA website.

Yellow Ribbon Program

UVM is proud to be a member of the Yellow Ribbon Program.  The Yelllow Ribbon Program is a scholarship that helps out of state student veterans using Chapter 33 Post 9/11 GI Bill Benefits attend UVM by covering the difference between in state and out of state tuition.  As a scholarship Yellow Ribbon funds are limited in quantity, must be applied for, and are distributed on a first come, first served basis.  

Student Responsibilities

VA education benefits are great.  However, with those benefits come student responsibilities.

Last modified December 04 2013 02:29 PM