Interim Chair of Biochemistry
University of Vermont, College of Medicine
89 Beaumont Avenue
Given Building, Room C401
Burlington, VT 05405
B.A. William Smith College, Geneva, NY, 1972. Biology
Ph.D. Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY, 1978. Biochemistry
1977-1978 Post-Doctoral Fellow, Syracuse University, Syracuse, NY
1978-1980 Post-Doctoral Fellow, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
1980-1983 Blood Banking and Hemostasis Trainee, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN
1983-1984 Assistant Professor of Pathology, University of Rochester, School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, NY
1984-1989 Research Assistant Professor of Medicine and Biochemistry, UVM, Burlington, VT
1989-1991 Research Associate Professor of Medicine and Biochemistry, UVM, Burlington, VT
1991-1997 Associate Professor of Biochemistry and Medicine, UVM, Burlington, VT
1997-pres Professor of Biochemistry and Medicine, UVM, Burlington, VT
2005-pres Interim Chairperson, Biochemistry Department, UVM, Burlington, VT
Other Experience and Professional Memberships:
1989-1993 Member, NHLBI Hematology I Study Section
1997-2001 Member, NHLBI Hematology I Study Section
1990-1999 Associate Editor, Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology
1999-pres Member, Editorial Board, Arteriosclerosis, Thrombosis and Vascular Biology
1994-1996 Vice-Chair/Chair, Gordon Conference on Hemostasis
1995-1999 Member, Editorial Board, Blood
2005 Co-organizer, FASEB Summer Research Conference, Proteases in Hemostasis and Vascular Biology
Honors and Awards:
1976 Alexander Gourevitch Memorial Award for Meritorious Achievements as a Graduate Student in Research, Syracuse, NY
1982 Edward C. Kendall Award for Meritorious Research, Mayo Clinic
1987-1992 Established Investigator, American Heart Association
2001 ATVB Special Recognition Award
2004 University Scholar, University of Vermont
2005 American Medical Women's Assn, "Gender Equity Award", UVM Chapter
Selected Publications [Since 1996]:
8. Bajzar L, Nesheim ME and Tracy PB: The profibrinolytic effect of activated protein C in clots formed from plasma is TAFI-dependent (1996). Blood 88:2093-2100.
9. Bajzar L, Kalafatis M, Simioni P and Tracy PB: An antifibrinolytic mechanism describing the prothrombotic effect associated with factor V Leiden (1996). J. Biol. Chem. 271:22949-22952.
10. Bouchard BA, Shatos MA and Tracy PB: Human brain pericytes differentially regulate the expression of procoagulant enzyme complexes comprising the extrinsic pathway of blood coagulation (1997). Arterioscl. Thromb. Vasc. Biol. 17:1-9.
11. Bouchard BA, Catcher CS, Trash BR, Adida C and Tracy PB: Effector cell protease receptor-1 (EPR-1), a platelet activation-dependent membrane protein regulates prothrombinase-catalyzed thrombin generation (1997). J. Biol. Chem. 272:9244-9251.
12. Bajzar L, Nesheim ME, and Tracy PB: Both cellular and soluble forms of thrombomodulin inhibit fibrinolysis by potentiating the activation of TAFI (1998). J. Biol. Chem. 273:2792-2798.
13. Camire RM, Kalafatis M, Simioni P, Girolami A, and Tracy PB: Platelet-derived factor Va and factor VaLeiden cofactor activity are sustained on the surface of activated platelets despite the presence of activated protein C (1998). Blood 91:2818-2829.
14. Camire RM, Kalafatis M and Tracy PB: Proteolysis of factor V by cathepsin G and elastase indicates that cleavage at Arg1545 optimizes cofactor function by facilitating factor Xa binding (1998). Biochemistry 37:11896-11906.
15. Camire RM, Pollak ES, Kaushansky K and Tracy PB: Secretable human platelet-derived factor V originates from the plasma pool (1998). Blood 92:3035-3041.
16. Tracy PB, Camire RM, Pollak ES, Kaushansky K: Where does platelet factor V originate? (Response to letter). (1999) Blood 93:3152.
17. Hayes KL, and Tracy PB: The platelet high affinity binding site for thrombin mimics hirudin, modulates thrombin-induced platelet activation and is distinct from the glycoprotein Ib-IX-V complex (1999). J. Biol. Chem., 244:972-980.
18. Bouchard BA and Tracy PB: Platelets, leukocytes and coagulation (Review) (2001). Curr. Opin. Hematol. 8:263-269.
19. Bouchard BA, Silveira JR and Tracy PB: On the role of EPR-1 or an EPR-1-like molecule in regulating factor Xa incorporation into Prothrombinase (2001). Thromb Haemost. 86:1133-1134.
20. Bouchard BA and Tracy PB: Platelet regulation of thrombin generation in cardiovascular disease (Review) (2001). Ital. Heart J. 2:819-823.
21. Silveira JR, Kalafatis M and Tracy PB: Carbohydrate moieties on the procofactor factor V, but not the derived cofactor factor Va, regulate its inactivation by activated protein C (2002). Biochemistry 41:1672-1680.
22. Bouchard BA, Butenas S, Mann KG and Tracy PB: Interactions between platelets and the coagulation system. In: Platelets. Michelson AD, ed. Academic Press, San Diego, CA, pp. 229-253, 2002.
23. Gould WR, Silveira JR and Tracy PB: Unique in vivo modifications of coagulation factor V produce a physically and functionally distinct platelet-derived cofactor: characterization of purified platelet-derived factor V/Va (2004). J. Biol. Chem. 279(4):2383-2393.
24. Gould WR, Simioni P, Silveira JR, Luni S and Tracy PB: Megakaryocytes endocytose and subsequently modify human factor V in vivo to form the entire pool of a unique platelet-derived cofactor. (2005) J. Thromb. Haemost:3:45-456.
25. Bouchard BA, Williams JL, Meisler NT, Long MW and Tracy PB: Endocytosis of plasma-derived factor V by megakaryocytes occurs via a clathrin-dependent, receptor-mediated event (2005) J. Thromb. Haemost: 3:541-551.
26. Bouchard BA, Butenas S, Mann KG and Tracy PB: Interactions between platelets and the coagulation system. In: Platelets, Michelson AD (Ed), Academic Press, San Diego, CA, in press.