



TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 21ST, 2010  
EIGHTH MEETING OF THE 2010-2011 SENATE

**Call to Order**

*Start time: 7:00*

**Roll Call:**

**Finance:** Chair Mallea and Senator Linde, excused  
**Student Activities:** Senator Lederer-Plaskett, excused  
**COLA:** Senator Katz, excused  
**CODEEE:** Senator Benes, excused  
**Student Action:** Senator Ravech, excused  
**Public Relations:** Senator Denton, Senator Moran, excused  
**Academic Affairs:** All Present

**Approval of Minutes**

Minutes from September 14, 2010: approved

**Public Forum:**

**Brian Reed and Alison Armstrong Discussing the Gen Ed committee**

**Brian:** I'm the associate provost of curricular affairs and the co chair of the general education committee.

**Alison:** I'm the Bailey-Howe library director of information and instruction and am a member of gen ed committee.

**Brian:** I want to engage you about history of gen ed. I'll try to keep this brief so we can do q and a which I think will be more useful. We were charged last year to find a new way to do gen ed at this school. It has been decentralized so this time we want to look at school and college more than university wide. What we want to ask is would we like to see in this school in terms of what is unique about UVM. We came up with a list of standards based on national guidelines and an online search. The message we got over the summer is that we need to engage more. We want to make sure that we do it right. It could go to the faculty senate and it could fail or could be disliked. We need to engage students and staff and decide what undergrad education will look like here. Last year Kate and Bryce were active in this and we've had a rotating cast of people in our meetings but we've always had representation, which we really appreciate.

**Alison:** We're asking you, faculty, staff, and stakeholders about knowledge, skills, abilities that you want to have achieved at the outcome of your education and what is unique about being a UVM undergraduate? What will you come out with that is different from, say, a UNH student? What skills, knowledge, and learning goals will you have at end of your UVM career and how will you experience it on the way. What kind of paths will you take? So we're asking everyone to think creatively about the paths. We really want to avoid a checklist mentality that some kinds of learning are less important than other kinds of learning. What is it that you are passionate and excited about by being here at UVM and what learning goes with that?

**Brian:** We will hand out a proposed profile and we want you to look at this. It's prefaced with UVM's vision and mission statement and we hope we are accomplishing this. So will you please look at this and we will ask a few questions. There is a URL on this sheet to an online survey focused around the questions that we will discuss here tonight. When you fill that out your answers will be involved in the discussion we have and this data will help.

**Alison:** I will take some notes but the survey will be more important. So we'll open to questions. What are some of the learning outcomes you are achieving? What would you like to see? Please glance at the profiles, scan that over. What do you think about it? Do you see it happening and generally some reflections on the profile?

*Open the Floor for Questions:*

**Senator Cheney:** A personal note as to what I would like to see is for students to take plant and soil science. Farming and gardening can be more than just a hobby. So I see physical life sciences and would that be something that would consume that or would it be separate?

**Brian:** The way that we have conceived it is that although it will be influenced by input it could be fulfilled in a lot of ways. Other universities refer to this as a core curriculum. We don't use that because it has a connotation that there is a specific set of courses. We really want all students to have a grounding in physical and life sciences and that's the thinking behind it.

**Senator Corkins:** I think I would like to see students not having a choice between health and science and an environmental sustainability. If you are going to be a consumer here on this planet you need to know how that affects the environment and the world.

**Senator Filstein:** It would be helpful to know what's going to change in the new gened? It's all good but what is going to change?

**Alison:** We don't know totally. We want to know what will change. There won't be an immediate upheaval and we don't want to change it all really quickly. We don't know what the outcome will be. We will be looking across the university and make sure all students have grounding in certain areas like writing and quantitative skills. As much as anything it's to ensure that all students get these things rather than school and colleges where everyone gets different things. This gets back to a university wide curricula.

**Senator Filstein:** Will we have a set of core classes that will go across all colleges?

**Brian:** There would be an agreed upon list of courses.

**Alison:** There will be a bucket of classes to choose from.

**Senator Filstein:** Will this vary by school?

**Brian:** It's not just in your own college.

**Alison:** And this may not just be in a credit way. Its important to remember there are other ways to learn, not just in the classroom.

**Senator Filstein:** How will they determine which classes count for what?

**Alison:** There are curriculum committees in all schools and colleges.

**Brian:** We will have what we are calling a gen ed oversight committee. We have to figure out what things define this category and then look at courses to determine which fit the description. This takes it outside of the schools and colleges.

**Senator Cesario:** Thanks for coming in to talk to us, we're all glad you are getting student input. I was more needing clarification on the section on knowledge. Are these the requirements you have to take? Physical or life sciences? Are these the basis of the core requirements or is it going to be a category for each requirement?

**Brian:** In essence, yes, but the devil's in the details. It's important to get the consensus and then figure out the details. So for physical or life sciences we have to flesh that out. We don't want to get hung up on that but look more at the philosophical aspects. What will make UVM undergraduate education distinguished?

**Senator Cesario:** Is this implying that there is going to be a sustainability requirement like the diversity requirement?

**Brain:** Maybe, last year sustainability was proposed by students. They had really done their homework and framed it within the gen ed philosophy. We thought this was good and liked it but we have to do this in phases. There are things people do already in each college. Most have something around sciences, fine arts, humanities. They get an understanding of those. In the second and third phases we determine how to get there. There is an amalgam of health science and sustainability. We don't want to forget it but we haven't figured it out yet and we need to determine where to get resources.

**Chair Adams:** As someone who switched colleges and faced a slew of changes in geneds I really like this idea a lot. For humanities and fine arts, I know there are limits for majors and minors only for getting into art and music classes. Will this force us into large crowded humanities classes? Also, how will this affect majors like nursing that have heavy course loads and their ability to graduate on time?

**Alison:** This is one reason health and sustainability are on the side. When we look at majors like engineering and nursing its hard for them to move in an environment where there is a credit requirement. As far as large lectures as classes that also depends on resources. How do we allow students to take more courses than they otherwise might have? What about resources in our resource neutral budget?

**Brian:** We need to put resources aside and think about what we want and then form follows function. What are we going to do to address this with the resources we have? President Fogel and Provost Knodell will have to determine this based on our advice and by including funding from some sources of new revenue through developments or grants.

**Chair Simmons:** Thanks for coming. The one thing I'd like to see is kind of working to have requirements so they build off of one another and it's not a checklist mentality. This is a good point and I regret that I looked at my classes like this. I think it's also important to get all of the disciplines and skills while we're here. As a possibility, maybe there could be major specific requirements such as if you were taking biology class but you're a political science major so you don't actually ever do anything with it. I think it's a perversion of what it could be doing. If you are a poli sci major and have to take a bio class then maybe you should have a bio class designed for poli sci majors. I see people there all the time who are there because they have to be there, not because they want to. There are ways to examine how these things interact and how they work together now. As I look at these categories I can see for both of those majors having specific requirements tailored to the majors.

**Brian:** That's a great idea.

**Senator Doran:** I appreciate the inclusion of collaboration and research. If by including this do you expect any specific changes to the curriculum and if so how will they be handled?:

**Alison:** We are not there yet. That's part of the details were not sure of yet. It might be integrated in different kinds of classes such as a gen oversight committee that is looking for certain features as to what would determine if the course would count, or are there other ways to integrate leadership that aren't a course but would still be counting as an achievement of a student?

**Brian:** what would be your idea how would you like to see it done?

**Senator Doran:** I can say that the most valuable experiences I've had are when I was required to collaborate with other students either in classroom or just working with other students. Two experiences that come to mind were that I lived in Slade Hall. We had to work together and make decisions all the time. Another was Students Teaching Students taught by Tyler Wilkinson-Ray and that was also us pushing each other more because we weren't told to do something. I'd be open to ideas but I think things like that are great experiences.

**Chair Monteforte:** Hello, I like what I see and I know that in my college I already do a lot of these things but I like that its built into general education. What colleges don't have these kinds of requirements?

**Brian:** We did some research based on accreditation requirements and looked at other schools and colleges. All of them do a lot of some things. There is often a math requirement and a fine arts, behavioral studies, but they all do it very differently and we need a uniform understanding. When you get beyond those things like the writing requirements or sustainability, no one does that. It's not usually a requirement. It's all over the map and there are some things no one does.

**Senator Sadeghi:** On a different note my first question is you don't know where you are at or exactly what your goals are. I remember last year we got the same talk at the end of the year. It seems like its been dulled down. What have faculty senate and the administration said about these things?

**Brian:** We have taken out some of the details. It's different with the engagement process. Last year we had forums and meetings with college committees. We have started to go out and actively collect feedback so it's something we all know about and are invested into work to common goals. We are working on getting back to the basics. We have some definitive goals. We are going to all of the academic departments and all of the staff council and comparable organization units and student groups and res halls to get feedback. That will end in December and we will put together a proposal based on this to the faculty senate to be approved by curricular affairs and then go to Board Of Trustees for the May meeting. We are planning to come in with something. Want some agreement on common issues.

**Senator Vitagliano:** Thanks for coming in. I have a few questions. With the increasing of possibility of a sustainability requirement, would this be objectively to incorporate into intro level classes or by creating new classes like getting new professors to teach them or will we be using the resources we have now? Would this lead to an increase in credits needed to graduate? How would we go about that?

**Alison:** We don't want to increase credits. That will create all kinds of trouble. As far as how many requirements will be incorporated into existing classes or if we do things more broadly, we aren't there yet. Resources are an important factor. We don't have the money to hire anyone. We have to work within the framework we have to redistribute resources if there is an area we choose to focus on. We aren't getting anything new as far as with the budget.

**Brian:** Sustainability is what we will build on what we are doing now. We will figure out how to adjust resources to build on that if its chosen as a priority.

**Alison:** One of you asked before that this was a slimmed down version. Part of what we've taken out are how we might implement some of the requirements in phases. We want to back up and talk about what we think. We will do a phase implementation to achieve what we want.

**Senator Lober:** There seems to be an overlap in knowledge and skills. Would certain classes cover both?

**Alison:** There will probably be some overlap but we will be learning how to make it meaningful for multiple categories.

**Senator Lober:** I am thinking of some letters where Fogel said he wants to institute testing to see the outcomes of education and have you thought of that?

**Brian:** UVM is a member of voluntary association of standardized testing for higher education which urges the university to use testing to make a college portrait. Through a standardized test you can see progress from fall of freshman year to spring of senior years. This assumes learning takes place in classroom, which is not always true. This would be involved in a bigger portrait and help people make decision as to what school is the best fit.

We will be using one of those three tests. We will probably do this, it will 100 first year students and 100 seniors. The gen ed committee has been separating that from our planning because standardized tests aren't tuned to the kind of thing we are working on and doesn't relate to the curriculum. We need to develop past the assessment in other ways and this is one of the challenges.

**Senator Balas:** You touched on meeting with people from different departments. What are you getting back from them in terms of feedback and how far have you gotten?

**Alison:** There must be 10 meetings a week and there are 15 people on the committee. A bunch of us are going to them all the time. Some themes are developing within the faculty about writing. They want to know how to do it well and how we value it and how do we achieve it. There are also concerns about resources. This is a big concern especially among faculty. We hit a wall about resources vs. reality. How do we change it if we're stuck with what we have? We also heard about blending what we do in our whole lives, what's happening in co-curriculars and in your personal life and figure out how do we combine this with what's going on in the classroom. We need to look at more than that.

**Senator Mason:** Thanks for coming. I need a clarification, is this is only going to be for incoming first years and is this correct. There also are certain classes that are going to be cancelled because we don't have the spacing. I'm imagining that we are going to take in more students and how are they going to get into the classes we need? Even with senior status I couldn't get into classes this year. How will this work out with budgeting?

**Alison:** It would start with first year students. You wouldn't have to retroactively go back and fill the requirements so you finish the catalog that you entered with. As far as crowding, it's going to be crowded for a while. How do we get all into classes they need in a sequence with the existing resources?

**Brian:** We are currently building capacity and raising resources. If this plays out and we get this through faculty senate and the Board of Trustees in May of this year. That would mean we couldn't implement it until fall of 2012 because the catalog will have already been printed. During that year we would figure out the resources and how to do that. The Provost and the President are involved and need to determine how to do this and build capacity where we need to. The oversight committee needs to look at what we've got. In the first phase we will already have things in place to do this. Its basically how much more capacity we need and how to do it.

**Senator Mason:** Did you think in terms of colleges and majors? You have a certain number of things here. Are we taking things out or putting them in?

**Alison:** We are not adding credits, it would just be an adjustment of what's already there.

**Brian:** We will look at what fits major and degree requirements and what fits gen ed requirements. There may be some 2-fors to keep the credits down and it would be a credit neutral. We are reconceiving how we already do it.

**Senator Filstein:** What do you see as the relationship between gened and the undergrad experience and TRI?

**Brian:** The undergrad experience is multifaceted and it's partly about gen ed. What happens in co-curriculum and how do we relate the two? What about aspects like service learning and internships? We need to look at broader projects. The TRI is a research initiative. This is designed not to divert from the undergrad education. This will be through faculty hires. We can hire someone who does science and attends to research needs. It's an efficiency but not a deduction of faculty.

**Filstein:** So you don't see changes in gen ed as competing for resources with the TRI?

**Brian:** No

**Senator Cheney:** Will we be using the structure you provided us? Would students and their advisor work together to determine and develop what classes will be seen through the process?

**Alison:** Students and advising will determine what they need to do. Advising is important but in any kind of change environment we will be making sure they all understand the changes completely from outset so you don't suddenly have to backtrack.

**Brian:** We are hoping that the registrar could tag courses so you can bring up a list of what fulfills what with a computer search.

**Senator Corkins:** One thing I love about being an undergrad is choosing and cruising listings to look to add something to my experience that is diverse and different. I am concerned with mobilizing the resources for this project will leave us with not having a lot to work with. Will we lose some of this diversity that is already slim?

**Alison:** thank you.

**Brian:** Watch for email with the URL and fill out the survey.

## **Larry Williams and Annie Stevens Discussing Redstone 2**

**Annie:** I'm the associate vice president for student life. Tonight we're here to talk about a new project. This is the second apartment project on campus. It will be like the current Redstone Apartments. We will do some background information about how we got here and Larry will talk about project and what it entails. 8-10 yrs ago we began this process for more on-campus apartments to relieve Junior, Senior, and Graduate students who have a hard time finding good apartments in the area. We also decided to do enrollment growth. To do that we built uheights and bought trinity campus and have done renovations in existing dorms to create new housing and improve existing housing. Now enrollment has leveled off and now we are working on alleviating housing crunch. We have done a selection process for someone who would own the project and run them. 10 years ago we did the university, state, and city permitting. We have a plot of land that we have come back to in the last 8-12 months and have been working with a private developing firm. They put their money down to build the complex and make it for students to live in and be on university land. I'm happy to say in the last year we had student input. We selected the only local developing firm. They are also called Redstone, which is unrelated to the name of the campus. Larry Williams and his partners will talk about what they are planning. We are going through much of the

same permitting issues process now. Larry has done a lot of student input gathering and will also talk about what the apartments look like.

**Larry:** Thanks for having us and I think maybe I'll just start right in. Where the project is proposed. Have you heard about this project? So on-campus from south prospect is this line here and you can see generally where we are and Spear Street is here and Patrick Gymnasium is here and Redstone campus is right here. The project we are proposing is this piece of land between athletic complex and Redstone campus. What we want to do from start is get as much input on project as we could. We did a survey of 10,000 students with 1500 responses and it really helped us. We are in the process now where we are beginning permit process and having meetings with neighbors and permitting and zoning people. We wanted to get to you to see what input we can get from students, I really wanted you to be able to understand where the plan came from and the thinking behind it. It's important for you to know that and for you to give your insight. So to do that I am going to introduce alan???. He's a great architect and has done projects all over the world. He will go through the inspiration behind the project.

**Alain:** It's good to be here, I didn't expect the size of your government. I apologize if it's difficult to see. As Larry pointed out there has been a lot of student input and we have done similar projects on different campuses. We go through a unique process called branding. We establish one of the key objectives in the design phase. We went through that process and the key objectives in this particular site we have to be sensitive to the constraints and there is a stormwater retention pond. We have considered student life and social life and parking is an important factor. Something called the lantern came out with that. Also, pedestrian and vehicular traffic are factors and how this will impact it. Sustainability in a more truer sense of the word than its sometimes used we want to make sure its logical and sustainable practices. Also, we want buildings to have a sense of green space outside to accommodate the student body. Also, this fits in with the grand master plan for the university that we had to comply with. We went through the design studies. We looked at options where we would have a series of smaller buildings and site plan analysis. Every time we did a design we examined the advantages and disadvantages. We also look at various sites. One key thing we felt for with Redstone Apartments being there and the key traffic path we thought there should be connectivity to link both the north and south portions off of the road. We looked to have all the buildings on the north side and a parking on the south side. We finally came up with having 2 buildings somewhat similar on the site that bridges across the road and is shared. The lantern is a reference point. It will be lit at night and the stairways will be there exposed to daylight. These two forms maximize privacy and security in that they don't look into each other and maximizing the views that are available. One relates to uheights and one relates to the pond but creates a barrier at the end of the residences and the beginning of the athletic fields. So here are a couple of images of this that we have developed. The approach here was to have two semi-curved buildings. This is the view from just outside of Southwick Hall as you come down University Heights. The land slopes down to the south. So, one building is here the second echoing it is lower. This building is one story lower than the other one so the threshold is two stories because the land slopes down. At the land levels the building we have a connecting form and this is that lantern. In it is a gymnasium and in terms of laundry, you can watch movies, play pool, and do various student activities, it's a social center. This will be connecting the two. In terms of the topography we have a ledge in the land here to minimize destruction to the existing landscape and preservation of landscapes we can make use of. We started working with parking services not to destroy something. Then the concept of ledge to minimize the impact of the foundation of the



building will have on land. They are column buildings that will float and have parking underneath which is a good benefit of doing this on the stilts so we don't have to excavate the whole land. This is the view from the north side looking south. I'll show you another view, which is from the pond looking northeast. So just in case the first view was here southerly and the second view was from the pond looking north. So the idea I am trying to describe is the building on columns with parking underneath and a path underneath with the lantern. There will also be a lobby here and a lit element. There will also be stairs behind this wall but it will be glass. It's lit in terms of security and privacy units are a level higher than the street to isolate from pedestrian noise and traffic. Each space has large amount of glass with a loft feeling. This will provide something different than what exists. I don't know how many are familiar with Bellevue Loft Hotel to create lobbies with social spaces and students can congregate and provide a connectivity where students can do laundry, watch movies, various events and reference point. We want the buildings to be light so that's why we raised them and made the gap. Time is limited and we don't have enough props so you can all see the process but I'm happy to answer questions.

**Larry:** I heard you mentioned sustainability we are committed to LEED silver and the main components helping that are the site utilization here. All of the mechanical system will be efficient. Air quality will be good because of the same thing, the mechanical systems will contribute. Wire conservation and the whole commissioning process. We are hoping to do better than LEED silver but we are committed to at least LEED silver. We are also paying attention to transportation. We are going to do what we think we will need for parking, we may get away with a lower ratio and build less parking. We will also have ample bike storage and it will be part of the CATS shuttle system. We've already had meetings with local motion, a non-car organization and with carshare. Hopefully we will have that in this capacity here. The university is already going over what we can benefit from in addition to stuff we initiate to reduce traffic. That's a quick overview, I want to put a plug in but we want to do focus groups they are 6-10 people to get into more details. If people are interested we'd love to talk about that. We'd like to hear your reactions.

### *Open the Floor for Questions*

**Senator Vitagliano:** Are there projections as to how many units and how many students this will accommodate?

**Larry:** There will be 150 apartment units, which is a mix of studio, one, two, three, and four bedroom units. There will be 400 beds in 150 units.

**Chair Simmons:** You mentioned that there will be a workout facility which seems unnecessary since it is right next to gym.

**Speaker Chevrier:** How long will this take to be built and since its right next to a res hall will this have a negative impact on the students in the neighboring area?

**Larry:** The best case schedule would be to start in spring 2011 and be done by fall 2012. It will take 16 months. We have to be done in the fall of any given year so if we can't start in the spring of 2011 we will have to wait until 2012.

**Senator Filstein:** Is there a LEED gold or something higher than silver? Why not go for that?

**Larry:** It's hard to get gold or platinum and its very expensive with steel and concrete. We have to make economic sense of the project to make it work. The more expensive the building, the more expensive the rent. Gold would be a million extra dollars and we didn't think the project could afford it. I don't now if you know about the LEED point system but there are opportunities to gain some less expensive points and the possibility for gold exists.

**Senator Benes:** What is the reason behind the social components? Why does it need social stuff in that area? I'm also worried about the lofted first floors. We could be sacrificing the number of students that could fit for aesthetic appeal.

**Larry:** So that social area we did that partly to see what other student housing has been doing across the country and this is a common element, having community amenities. What was interesting and helpful was that it seemed like university students didn't value those spaces much so we're scaling that back. The priority from the survey was for wireless internet and then outdoor spaces. We're going to do that and study rooms throughout the buildings. What we are putting in the lantern is a small media room and washers and dryers and a fitness center. This will be much smaller because we did get comments that this is right next to gym although Gutterson is always so jammed and people can't get in so they did want some fitness space. So we settled on a scaled back version of the fitness center. In terms of lower space not for living, we are pushing the envelope in the parking issue. We are providing 300 new spaces and replacing those that we are impacting. We are trying to get as many spaces under the structure as we can to minimize surface parking issues. With construction we have to build a minimum of 400 beds. We really can't build more than that because we don't have the capacity to do that. We have to do what the program calls for without the ground floor.

**Alain:** In terms of the topography of the land, we had to adjust to the grade otherwise there will be massive excavation. In terms of residential space, by putting it higher it would be a better use of space to move it up and extend the parking. This will increase visual security as well as perceived sense of security as well as noise from the street and other privacy separations.

**Larry:** This building is for Juniors, Seniors and Grad students. I'd be interested in whether it's reasonable to expect that grad and undergrad students will want to live side by side?

**Chair Adams:** I think grad students and undergrads are at different points in their lives and I don't know if they will want to live together and socialize and hang out together. Things people on Redstone campus value is parking because it's often hard to find. Where will on-campus students park? How will this affect the flying diaper? Is this aimed at students who will be moving off-campus or those who wish to remain on-campus since there are so many triples and crowds in the dorms?

**Larry:** I don't know how many juniors and seniors that live on-campus are in triples. The core market for these apartments is for sophomores who want to move off-campus and may decide to move in here instead. In terms of parking, we are providing the parking that will be required and we will replace any we destroy. This won't affect parking for other uses in the area. The parking count won't change.

**Chair Adams:** A lot of first years are in triples. Would this target juniors and seniors living off-campus so there would be fewer triples for underclassmen?

**Annie:** Juniors and Seniors that are living on-campus are only about 5% now. They could move into this housing happily but it would more be for students who would otherwise be moving downtown.

**Senator Yeager:** I'm wondering if you put in any thought about having roof access and green houses on the top because I noticed it was nice and flat. It's targeted towards upperclassmen and I was thinking you could maybe have amenities up there. That would be cool. Also, how does this affect dry campus? Its on-campus however would be a lot of people who are of age.

**Senator Stevens:** This will not be seen as a res hall just like Redstone Apartments now. Residences halls are dry but our campus is not. We serve alcohol in Brennan's and at certain events. So if you are 21 years old you could have alcohol in your apartment.

**Senator Yeager:** Will this be a party zone that will attract a lot of younger people to party here?

**Annie:** This depends on how they wish to manage the project. Students deal with the code of conduct and police services will be first responders to disruption or emergencies. People living there will be expected to behave responsibly and respectfully.

**Larry:** UVM police is there just for emergencies. There will be an on-site manager. We may also have one or two others for off-hours as a resource. He will manage this as a project where we expect the tenants to be responsible. If you are having parties and are violating your lease you can be evicted. You still have to act responsibly. As for the green roof, we have to say we talked about patios and roof decks or not. Everywhere we've gone we've heard that there is too great a risk. To add to that we anticipate that the roof of the lantern will be green because that's one element that is visible. So right now there will be green space on top of lantern but not on the buildings. It's not visible and there will be no access.

**Senator Filstein:** The crowding problem seems to be the biggest problem for undergrads. Why not build something or open this to underclassmen?

**Stevens:** We will do some of both but I don't know what the trend will look like. We hope this will alleviate the res halls but will also account for students moving off-campus and accommodating them. There is a city agreement that requires underclassmen to live on-campus. There is also more of a support staff and we want them to have a lot of that around for their transition. The real population that has a crunch is grad students. They have a hard time to find affordable off campus apartments, partly because they don't know anyone around here and don't have a group of friends to live with.

**Senator Alger:** I'm interested in the pond. I know that right now it's a retention pond behind the lots. Is this going to be a green space here and it's important for the ecology of the area so what is the plan for the pond?

**Larry:** We are not changing the pond. It's more of a stormwater treatment area. We are going to maintain it as stormwater treatment facility. We will take the opportunity to create

outdoor space for people living here for people to learn about it and the stormwater system and how it works.

**Senator Alger:** Have you considered different surfaces and landscape restoration so there will be water draining and is this going to happen? I think it's important to have it as a functioning ecosystem.

**Alain:** I want to try to do that and also to have a terminal where you can see what's happening and it's going to be more than that. We won't change it dramatically. Part of the idea was to create the green buffer and provide ecological education and make it work with the landscape. We will preserve the wetlands in there in that small area.

**Larry:** We are going to reconfigure the parking so this one is about half the size. The reality is it's about the slope, it will be on a ledge and we couldn't build it without the proper drainage. We are kidding ourselves to think it will function like that.

**Alain:** We considered gravel but there is a problem with that in terms of snow plowing.

**Larry:** It would be a neat system if we could have done that.

**Senator Ballas:** You touched on not going for LEED gold or platinum because of extra money to keep prices down. What would the price of rent be?

**Larry:** We don't know yet because our costs aren't in. They will probably be similar to the current Redstone apartments, which I think if you do it by bed its about \$800 per month per person and that brings up another question too. If you think people would want to double up in the bedrooms so you share a room so you would pay maybe \$550 a month.

**Speaker Chevrier:** We are now going to have an informal poll

**Larry:** Would people like to see a doubling up option? [conducts hand raise] slightly yes.

**Chair Adams:** I used to live on Redstone Apartments and many people do do that.

**Senator Vitagliano:** I voted nay because with an already high, dense population increasing that 400 people to potentially 600-800 could create a lot of extra traffic, which has issues with parking considerations. Also, to look into the agreement option to place something on a roof to cut down on heating and cooling costs in the summer. They are based in upstate NY that does that. With the \$800 a month per person would these be furnished or is that just the base rate?

**Larry:** One clarification on double occupancy, it would be between 0-30 units we would offer this for so it would not be a significant increase.

**Senator Cheney:** I love the design plan and the use of the landscape but I would like to urge a reconsideration of the use of the rec space and reconsider that because of the proximity to the gym.

**Speaker Chevrier:** \$800 a month is shocking to me and I understand that downtown rent has increased significantly as well but it seems very steep. This would take a lot of pressure

off of downtown landlords and they may have to raise prices. What else would these buildings supply, is heat or electric included? These things are really looked for if students will be paying this much.

**Larry:** We have to be really careful. We don't want rent to be so high that no one will live there. We have to have a market rate rent. We want it to include everything – furniture, heat, electricity. For electricity we may have a cap. You will have an electric allowance so it's not wasted. You would write one check a month per unit or bedroom to include everything.

**Chair Monteforte:** I love the design, I can't wait to move in and write a check. Thanks for taking time to get student input. Do you have something we could show students to other students here?

**Larry:** What would you want to do with it to distribute to students? I met with *The Cynic* the other day and gave them a site plan. I could forward something to someone if you would like.

**Alain:** I would be happy to present a PowerPoint if people were interested.

**Senator Ballas:** Do you expect to have an even distribution of undergraduate and graduate students?

**Larry:** I think from the survey we did it's probably going to be 10% grad students and I bet that would be the mix we'd see in this project. We may be taking a floor and making that available to grad students only. I was with a group the other day and asked them and they felt the same way.

**Senator Lovell:** I was wondering for further reference to the cost if you knew if you were going with electric or gas heat because if you are metering the electric consumption that wouldn't work out well.

**Larry:** Our plan is to use a water source heat pump that would be heated with natural gas. There is a component of electric use in that from the pumps. So the heating is a combo of gas that heats the water and electricity that runs the pumps. That's an efficient system because its distributing heat where it needs to go.

**Chair Adams:** To speak to the price issue, it sounds like it's a similar package to what they do now in Redstone 1. I lived with 3 people in a 2 bedroom for \$530 and it would have been \$720 with electric completely separate. Have you thought of a better name than Redstone 2?

**Larry:** We haven't thought of a name yet, we really need to, I'm open to ideas.

**Senator Lober:** You talked about setting a cap on utility usage and monitoring it. I want to encourage reimbursement for those who use less.

**Chair Morgan:** In regards to UVM's oversight to building codes, I know that when Redstone 1 was built it didn't have carbon monoxide detectors and a girl actually died as a result. Will they be up to code even though you aren't directly supervising their management?

**Larry:** That's one of the stipulations of our business relationship with this company. UVM has to review and approve all plans and changes to the plans. There should be a reasonable level of comfort that UVM will have all oversights in the project. We have to build to codes and our architect knows what he's doing. Also have to do state and local building codes.

**Senator Filstein:** I had a name idea because it's for upperclassmen towards the end of their time at UVM and to keep the catamount theme in mind we could call it the cattail to signify the end.

**Senator Cesario:** It's also surrounded by cattails because it's a wetland area.

**Chair Simmons:** my favorite place on campus is the path by the athletic fields because you leave campus behind on that incline. It would be nice if next to that path that was there were some trees between the buildings and the parking lot and those fields because it would really be a shame if that was disturbed.

**Larry:** We are already working on that.

**Alain:** In terms of the rest of the footpath and the trail we may connect it over here although it would just be a footpath with some trees.

### **Michael Oyebola, new club**

**Michael:** Hi, my name is Michael. I'm a junior computer science major and studio art minor. Last summer I decided to make a magazine cover of a real magazine where I have student athletes that never get recognized or never get to actually be on a real magazine for UVM students. I came up with a word MiDA which means surprise. The main goal is for students who don't get recognized. Everyone knows the basketball players but last year I saw the Urban Flavor team but on a great performance but I didn't see anything in *The Cynic*. This gives students the chance to be recognized and have their picture on a cover and bring money to student activities concerts. I know we have UVM board and *The Cynic* but this is different. Students would be here doing this. There are 3 writers and 2 photographers and I want to do something while I'm here and create something for other students to put on their resume. I did this with my friend in college and want to have a chance to get recognized as a club on campus. I also have some more pictures. This issue came out this month, I have Kofi here because I've been trying to work with him for long time. I know he's the president so people know who he is, he sends out an email. This would have students who do a good job on campus so people could be on a cover every month. A lot of students have heard about this and I know Kesha Ram who is running for state rep in November came to me. She has been around UVM for a long time and she came back and told me she likes this idea. So why can't I have more students who are graphic designers or website design or photography who didn't have a chance to work with *The Cynic* so they would have a chance to put their skills out there. This was a former student from UVM and he was a rapper I met so I came out with an issue this summer. I decided to get other people who want to be involved together. We also have a facebook group if you want more information about what this means. Also mida means an expression of surprise. I'm Having pretty much this idea to bring in students and taking photos and also to branch into it fashion wise. An expression of surprise would be new looks on campus or the whole thing for our generation. Like what do most students like... I see a lot like v-necks, anything that has funny texts, anything where you have to read what someone is wearing. People like this let

me put more effort into this. I only have 5 tees left out of 20 and they really like this. I told my friend Darrion about this who told me I should try to make this a club for other students.

*Open the Floor for Questions*

**Senator Tran:** You said you have 3 writers and 2 photographers. How many more people do you think you will have?

**Michael:** I have 5-6 people who want to be part of this and I am looking for more people who want to be involved with this. So we have a lot of people who will get a chance to be part of this.

**Senator Tran:** Also, the covers look cool

**Senator Cheney:** I think this is a great idea with a lot of possibilities. Where do you want to have the publishing done?

**Michael:** I have a writer from sofa social and that will be our first article and including the cover just like a magazine. Instead of printing this on paper I thought why not just have it on the internet and have it in a pdf file to download it. We would work together to make it easy to access this and it would be free.

**Chair Adams:** I have a couple of questions. I like the online idea, It's cool, easy and eco friendly. You're talking about this like it's club but is it more of a business? Is it meant to be a club to go on or more of a business thing?

**Michael:** The only thing I am doing as a business is the t-shirt. But the magazine would be separate and I would hope it still continues, it's for the students around campus. There are so many athletes busting their ass out there who aren't in the cynic so this is a chance for other students. I definitely have never met the Vice President. I didn't know who he was until now that I made it here I know who he is. There are many first years out there who don't know these people. This would include the senate and give people a chance to meet other people. They would recognize you from the cover.

**Chair Adams:** I like both ideas. This is something I've heard about in various circles and as chair of student activities I think you show a lot of initiative, but why haven't you approached us to get the process rolling? We are the ones you need to work with to get your club recognized.

**Michael:** I didn't know that.

**Senator Willis:** I helped him with the resources and that's why he's here today.

**Senator Yeager:** I want to say that I love the idea but have a few technical questions. Have you thought about how the process would work about students approaching you and giving you artwork in terms of getting stuff in there itself? Do you want to explore the things that aren't in *The Cynic*? Is it going to be stories inside or will you the art department or what?

**Michael:** Students who are in the art department who have cool paintings or something, I hope they get a chance of either having the picture or what they are doing as a story or if

they have things they want to be on the cover. I've also heard of the ski team. I'm really interested in taking pictures or knowing about them and I've never seen this in *The Cynic* and have heard a lot of interest from them. We could have our soccer players, I don't know if people know who they are. It's like having updates for what's going on on campus that *The Cynic* couldn't capture and this will capture those areas.

**Senator Yeager:** I am also wondering if you have details about expenses and what they would be? Have you thought about advertising through companies throughout Burlington to help with expenses or something?

**Michael:** I've only thought about the website because printing is a lot of money. I'm not in a business school or anything and I have friends who might be interested in putting in some time to do this. The only thing we are looking into right now is having it online. I don't want to spend a lot of money on printing. Almost everyone has 3G you can get updates about it on your phone, I'll update it through the facebook group.

**Senator Fitzgerald:** Have you seen any faculty or staff as potential advisors?

**Michael:** not really just heard comments that this is a good idea from staff. I want this to be more student based and express our own opinion and have it be all about us. I don't know if anyone is fine about that.

**Senator Benes:** I like the idea and you touched on this early but how outside of the facebook group do you plan on advertising this and what exactly would you say your objective or definition of success would be?

**Michael:** For the first question, I wanted to talk to college democrats today but there was no one in the SGA office but there was no one there to help me. I put this out there the way I started through facebook but having a real website is expensive. But definitely if we get recognized as a club we can do more efforts like stickers and flyers and shirts stuff like that. And also I'm helping Kesha, she wants me to put my name out there by letting people know what Mida means. For the second question as to where I see it in the future its kinda hard to see how I want to put those two together but in a few years from now I would like a Mida clothing line and how to relate that to UVM because I want it to have a different style. They have text on their shirt that's funny or a cool graphic. After I graduate I want people who still like what I do here even in a few years from now when Mida has grown big and we have a website that grew big. There are other designer kinds of stuff online. Right now I have other things to think about as a student but I'm also a computer science major and want to figure out what I need.

**Senator Willis:** Thanks for coming, I'm glad that we recognize students. Within a magazine there are sections or topics like spots or something. Is this something like more of a pop culture magazine or something like that? I would want to be something more laid back than *The Cynic*.

**Michael:** I want to look at pop culture or urban, something different from what people are used to and look professional. I just want it to be like a different and more lively for students. It's going to be like a little bit that touches different areas. Athletics, bands, stuff on and off campus, a great event that Mida is going to be there and others will want to come to



the event. I want something urbanish and neo I have nothing against *The Cynic* but I want to branch out.

**Senator Willis for Chair Adams:** How many people does he need to have it come for appointment?

**Chair Adams:** We love to hear from students and it took a while for you to sit there so thanks for sticking it out and talking to us. As you work with Student Activities a lot of questions will be hammered out. We look forward to talking to you.

## **Old Business**

*none*

## **Emergency Business**

*none*

## **New Business**

**Senator Tran:** Bill allocating funds to women's' club soccer

**Senator Vitagliano:** Resolution for Chris Armstrong from University of Michigan Student Assembly.

## **Executive Reports**

**Speaker Chevrier:** Please send me your bus audit information. We can't start neighborhood noise task force without this data. I have a lot of them but we need more.

## *Open the Floor for Questions*

**Senator Filstein:** What happened to recognizing club softball?

**Speaker Chevrier:** This will be tabled to next week.

**Vice President Maciewicz:** Hi everyone, I hope you had a good week. Just so you all know President Mensah is at a law conference. He'll be back later this week. Two apologies from me to you. I said I'd have the retreat evaluations for this week but I messed up and deleted it. I'm also working on my summer hours evaluation. I know that President Mensah and Treasurer Salsgiver have turned them in. I am just behind and trying to catch back up. I would like to have suggestions for the office. The hard construction is done but we need subtle adjustments like furniture, artwork, signs so please give me input, I don't want to decide. President Mensah and I met with Board of Trustees and Fogel this morning. I urge you all to let us know if there is anything you want mentioned. Campus commission appointments are going and I know I have hounded you with them. It's better that students sit on them. We've filled most of them. The two pressing ones are the Athletic Advisory Council, it's important for physical plant around gym and the fitness center. It's a small one with only 5 people. Also need another member for the Bike and Pedestrian subcommittee of the campus transportation taskforce. The lynx, Jess and I will be coming into committee meetings to do an introduction to the lynx and help you use it in a more efficient way as to how it would target specific ways to your committee. If you would send me your meeting times and if there is one that is better than another let me know otherwise we'll probably

just be dropping by, with notice. I gave you all the student vision and I hope you read it. President Fogel and Provost Knodell have asked us to go over it section by section and see what makes sense to you and consider them. Are there things to change or maybe when they come in to speak to us so we can have feedback. Most of us weren't here when we passed it so it's a living document we may consider changing it.

### *Open the Floor for Questions*

**Chair Monteforte:** Will President Mensah be collecting a stipend for when he's not here this week?

**President Maciewicz:** I'm not sure. He won't be gone all week and you can and should ask him about it.

**Treasurer Salsgiver:** I have given a loan to UVM Crew for \$15,000 for new boats and I am confident they will pay back it back in the 3 semester time frame agreed upon. One of the Christian groups got \$150 for apples to make apple pie for a fundraiser. There is someone new in finance office and her name is Meredith, she used to work in reslife. You should say hi to her, she's doing Treasurer's workshop is next week. There is a 10% budget cut for clubs that didn't come, there were several. I know this seems harsh but they should be here, it's an accountability thing. As a side note, there is a little emergency with a cow where I live and have to leave.

### **Committee Reports**

#### **Student Action:**

**Chair Simmons:** I met last week with President Jones where discussed the Coke situation and his work on it. We are also working on placing the student vision, I'd love to hear your recommendations as to where you people will read it and place a suggestion box next to it. Senator Willis is working on student relations.

#### **Public Relations**

**Chair Monteforte:** Everything's going well. Everyone should get on the lynx and pretty much SGA has our own page so if you aren't part of it please request to be. There is a Brennan's Q and A. Senators Lober and Alleger will be there and I'll be there. Facebook is going well and people have commented and asked questions. That's pretty much the idea. VSOP is coming out soon if there are anything you want to see in there please email me. Also, wish Semir a happy birthday.

#### **Academic Affairs:**

**Senator Filstein:** I had a meeting with Keith Williams, the registrar and we talked about syllabi and course evaluations. The Pros: technology and the financial aspects are a really easy issue to contend with. We could go in tomorrow and make it work. The Cons: getting it together with the politics with professors and students. It's going to take pressure from us, they just need the will. The results from VSOP last year say that kids want more information on classes. We need a better picture of what's going on. Priority registration is going to kick in if the Honors College finally gives up. A lot of people get to register before others. There are 3 groups that do that. The Honors College, Athletes and Access Students. A lot of people are getting kicked off from Access and a lot of athletes are still going to get it. What we are trying to do is move it to priority within their class so it will be a lot more minimizing. That

will be next semester if the Honors College agrees, We hope you like the gen ed thing fill, please out their surveys. I know we gave good feedback so take your time, they do consider them.

**Finance:**

**Chair Mallea:** Hi everyone. I'm glad made it in time, I'm feeling under the weather. We did a few gas allocations tonight and 3 clubs came in. Hillel requested money for a curator for an art exhibit they are hosting. UVMTV requested funds for a conference and office updates. UVM women's club soccer requested funds for nationals. Look out for UVM women's soccer next week.

*Open the Floor for Questions:*

**Chair Simmons:** What's a curator?

**Chair Mallea:** Basically someone who puts together the art exhibit.

**Chair Simmons:** Why can't they just set up an art exhibit themselves?

**Chair Mallea:** the artist isn't charging for the exhibit and it's a little bit pricey but it's worth it. They are bringing in a specialist from the Fleming Museum and it really is worth it.

**Student Activities:**

**Chair Adams:** For softball, the situation with that is they looked ready to go and looked over a PowerPoint this afternoon. Risk management called at the last minute said they can't be recognized yet. Hopefully they will get recognized next week because they've been working hard and have a tournament coming up. Badminton is in risk management purgatory at the moment but we will hopefully see them soon. Please send people to me if they want to start a club, like Michael. They have to go through the process so the advisory and fundraising questions will be answered. Policy workshops are on Sunday, 11-1 for new clubs and 1-3 for old ones. Thanks for sticking it out tonight.

**COLA:**

**Chair Morgan:** We will be registering voters Wednesday and Friday from 11-12 on the second floor of the Davis Center. We will have information for people as to what ward they vote in, who's running and all of that. The Student neighborhood initiative grant meeting is on Monday to find out when everything is going to be going. We will leave the application out for a month then have advertising deadlines and then the ball will get rolling and we will have something to work on. The PSAs are good, we have some good ideas. A little about the program addressing off-campus noise on Ward 1. Sharon Bushor would like to work on this with us, she's a city councilor in Ward 1. She wants a program where you are mindful of others and remember it's in a neighborhood, not even UVM campus. We talked to reslife about doing a program and frankly we got a cold shoulder. Their response was that RAs will deal with it but I'm an RA and we actually don't really. I think I might see if we can still do that. A city council update, last night's meeting was cancelled so I don't know when Richard Cate is going but it will be either the 4<sup>th</sup> or the 18<sup>th</sup>. I'm sure people saw *The Cynic* today with the issues between police and UVM students. Our committee can do ridealongs so I want us to do those and report back. My experiences have been positive so it was disheartening to read this in *The Cynic*. Maybe a q and a with officers and have coffee and answer questions

with students in a nice relaxed atmosphere would be beneficial. What happens when this scenario comes up?

### *Open the Floor for Questions*

**Speaker Chevrier:** When are the student neighborhood liaison potlucks with OSCR?

**Senator Fitzpatrick:** They are the second week of each month at 6.

**Chair Simmons:** I would love the q and a with cops. We could call it coffee with a cop. We talked about that with our committee, it could be a receptive, open, low-key little exchange.

**Chair Morgan:** We should work together on this.

### **CODEEE:**

**Chair Herman:** So myself and josh met with Gioia Thompson the other today and we discussed the coke contract and focused on the if the issue of concern was weather if Coke was to be cut off from campus, how would that affect the students. If there were no education then students would go to other sources. She also discussed what sustainability meant and where it was going and how it is incorporated with issues of diversity and plans for that. Also, I've been speaking with Anna Ladenberg, the woman on public forum last week with the Walk of Tolerance. It's still going on Saturday. I'm going to send out a pdf of the flyer to the listserv tonight and please come support it if you can. I've been talking to other organizations to help her to get as many people as possible although its short notice.

### **Senatorial Forum**

**Speaker Chevrier:** I want to let you know form an historic standpoint in previous years when the meeting is going late, this doesn't qualify, chairs have sent out their reports. That would be more like if we went until 11, which happened a lot a couple of years ago. Originally, that's how we saw stipends was by talking about what happened with your committee in your report. In previous years, people said that they would send reports but didn't actually do it. This should mean there would be no stipend. I saw a lot of students take food out after public forum, which I appreciate you not eating. And please send me your bus audit data.

**Senator White:** I want to bring a more serious tone to the discussion about the stuff in *The Cynic*. A student from our campus was harmed unnecessarily and innocent people were hurt.

**Chair Adams:** One, if you are not reading *The Cynic* you should be. I feel like there was a lot of repetition tonight and can people also speak up, I can't always hear and I don't think I'm the only person. Can we talk about the Coke contract again? Last year it was working around it to ban water bottles and there was never a discussion about ending Coke and their profits being cut and maybe as a body we want to discuss this.

**Vice President Maciewicz:** I can provide a slight conversation real quickly. It started as two separate issues. It's an exclusive agreement with Coke. There was originally a group called killer coke that pushed to get them off campus. Another movement was started to get bottled water off of campus because in the contract it says we can adjust what product we

receive so we thought well, we'll just stop having them send us water bottles. The school wouldn't agree to it. It says you can't decrease sales by 10% and bottled water accounts for more. Currently, in January it's opening the contract for anyone to bid for the next 10 years 2012-2022. It's unfeasible to do anything until the contract expires or do we redo it with coke or someone else.

**Senator Sadeghi:** We have made national and international impacts in regards to last year's resolution to bring them back act with the 3 hikers lost on the Iraq-Iran border. We passed a resolution to get them safely back home. Last week one came home and I want to credit our body.

**Chair Simmons:** For the cop stuff, I think there is a lot to be done about student and police relations in Burlington. The steps that are being taken by police and other regulatory bodies for student safety. I think that 18-20 yr olds are going to drink alcohol in college and it's going to be often. We need a policy that deals with student safety that deals with this in a way other than writing tickets and punishing them. We need to come up with creative alternatives that enhance student safety in a better way than they are now. We can say we don't want friends being busted or running from cops but unless we have something productive to offer we won't get far. I want to put that out there to see what any ideas are that are different from what we say now. Bottled water is 13% of our sales, Gioia Thompson says. We would exceed this 10% if we broke this. They don't want to do an incentive scholarships for athletics if we resign with coke, which is a big reason they were debating it. I think that Coke does some horrifying things around the world as far as social responsibility, I think it's pretty despicable. Mike White has looked into some alternatives and there are several local options. My goal, what I would love to see, as our friend Brian Reed said form follows function. I would like to see more sustainable and ethical stuff sold here on UVM campus. I think we can very much do that and I would love to see it happen. I appreciate Chair Adams saying that we should talk about it as a body, but I would like to see it done after we do our homework. I would love for us and whoever else to give a presentation to talk about it and then have an educated reasonable talk about it.

**Senator White:** Point of Information: It was Senator Vitagliano who did the research.

**Senator Mason:** I guess in regards to Coke, I kind of feel as if we're jumping into the action stage a little bit but quickly. My first question would be to educate people. Some people know about the harsh things Coke is doing around the world but the piece of educating the students would then bring back the whole thing about getting rid of coke. I feel like the uproar from students who didn't know about these things would be ridiculous because that may be a turning factor for many people. Imagine if there is nothing on-campus except these canteens you can buy and Vermont brand sodas. I kind of feel we are diving into the action stage and need to educate students then get them to back this rather than senators just pushing their own feelings onto this even if half this body agrees.

**Senator Vitagliano:** Point of Information: Chair Simmons and I are in the process of writing a paper in regards to highlighting the issues and we're not exactly sure how to distribute this.

**Chair Herman:** To echo what David said, Vice President Maciewicz said the process that we have now is just to get rid of Coke. Like he said this came about because of the Coke contract ending soon. We have to find environmentally friendly alternatives. We're in the beginning

stages. My first conversation with Gioia Thompson was looking at local businesses to find local companies to supply something like UVM. This is currently unheard of so we're in the beginning stages.

**Speaker Chevrier:** I wanted to respond to something Chair Simmons said to you earlier. I used to agree with the police trying to stop underage drinking was silly because it's the heart of campus. When I talked to Annie Stevens I was told that underage drinking on college campuses actually has a positive correlation with sexual harassment. If they stop this underage drinking it's also stopping something unsafe to students. This is geared to student safety. Why I think coke is evil, personally. In Bad Boys 2 it's not actually set in Cuba but in South Florida. Well Coke owned that and let it be blown up and its 40 million dollars and that's kind of evil in my book.

**Chair Adams:** If we want to get rid of Coke I would like to see you bring up a bill just supporting that action because I know a lot of you are working towards this goal and I think it would be nice to see you working towards this goal with Senate's formal backing. As far as the MSART grant with undercover cops downtown in the Burlington community. They are pushing for it's cutting down on noise so people are quieter and appearing more sober than they really are.

**Senator White:** To answer Senator Adams, she was mirroring my brain, we are looking to take a different approach and get a student petition together to support the bill so that if we get 10% of body to sign it will force the issue. Senator Mason, we've already started personal one to ones and I got talking to a student. One person I talked to doesn't like campus water. We will be tabling this until after our essay is done.

**Senator Burns:** As far as the sexual harassment and drinking correlation, that crackdown doesn't seem to be helping to me, it just contributes to the problem of underage drinking.

**Senator Lovell:** Just to build on that point, I have a coworker who lives on Greene St. His porch furniture was taken off his porch and broken in the street. Despite more police coverage this still happened. Also, for the drinking and sexual harassment thing, correlation does not imply causation.

**Senator Vitagliano:** We do want a resolution for Chris Armstrong with background information. It's a resolution for Chris Armstrong, the President of the University of Michigan Student Association. The whole thing on that is that the Lieutenant Attorney General of Michigan is being irrational towards the president who identifies as gay. The Lieutenant Attorney General is trying to shut him down and impeach him for bringing a gay atmosphere to campus and recruiting and converting people to be gay which is ridiculous. That's some background and I will have some more stuff and quotes for next week when the resolution comes up. Please ask questions.

## **Senatorial Comments/Announcements**

**Chair Monteforte:** There is a meeting for business-y type clubs like marketing and accounting there is a club open house in Kalkin from 11-3. I you want more information check it out.

**Chair Adams:** Nick, if while you are there you could get them to fill out an update sheet. Anna is in one of my classes, the girl with the Walk for Tolerance. She would love help poster making. I know it's late and you have homework but if a group of you want to help make posters during their free time this week. There are flyers on the Student Activities desk if you will help hand them out. There is a walk starting on lower church and food in city hall park as a reception. There is also a comedian named Pat Brown in Brennan's, which is hilarious so you should go.

**Senator Ballas:** My broomball team is playing tomorrow night, it would be cool if you came to cheer us on.

**Senator Alleger:** Just to let you know, Wednesday night there is a conflict over here in the John Dewey lounge sponsored by the faculty union. They will be touching on all sorts of stuff like courses, tuition. It's going to be great, it will be by the faculty union it's going to be cool. So it's Wednesday at 4-5 in the John Dewey lounge.

**Senator Moise:** I'm part of the step team. We're performing Sunday at 1. If you know anyone who is interested it's in the Gutterson multipurpose room.

**Senator Cesario:** Next week is the autumnal equinox, full moon and harvest moon all on the same night. If you are holding a Séance let me know.

## **Roll Call**

Finance: Senator Linde, excused  
Student Activities: Senator Lederer-Plaskett, excused  
COLA: Senator Katz, excused  
CODEEE: Senator Benes, excused.  
Student Action: All Present  
Public Relations: Senator Denton, excused  
Academic Affairs: Chair Nelson, excused.

## **Adjournment**

*Meeting Adjourned: 9:56*