



TUESDAY, SEPTEMBER 14TH, 2010
SEVENTH MEETING OF THE 2010-2011 SENATE

Call to Order

Start time: 7:01

Roll Call:

Finance: All Present

Student Activities: Senator Golfarini, Senator Mason, Senator Moise, Senator Lederer-Plaskett, excused.

COLA: Senator Katz, unexcused, Senator Cheney, excused.

CODEEE: Senator Corkins, excused

Student Action: All Present

Public Relations: All Present

Academic Affairs: All Present

Approval of Minutes

Minutes from September 7, 2010, approved.

Public Forum:

Handing out of free sporks courtesy of Pat Brown.

David Manago

David: Hi, I'm David Manago, I'm a sophomore here. I wanted to talk to you about Project 350. It's a campaign about the carbon monoxide level in the air. Right now we are at a level of about 390 and it's a campaign to get below 350. On 10/10/10 we will have a work party across the world. Last year there were 5200 action days in 181 countries that really spread the word. This year there will be 2400 actions in 125 countries spreading the word on climate change. In Burlington there is a lot going on. We've been working closely with businesses in Burlington. On the tenth we are trying to bring this to the UVM campus. We've put together a clothes swap and food donation. On Wednesday we will finalize our plans. We want to spread knowledge across the campus that it's all for climate change and also spread the word to policy makers. We are also doing the dorm storm this weekend, which is working to register students to vote in the Dorms. We are hoping to elect candidates that will work to replace Vermont Yankee and nuclear energy. This will register young people to vote, hopefully for clean energy. 350.org is going to work on going headstrong against climate change. This all comes down to local communities. The message we are really trying to send is to policy makers that we are serious about climate change.

Open the floor to Questions

Chair Simmons: When you register people to vote are you going to tell them who the clean energy candidates are?

David: There are only a few people to vote for in the Burlington area and most of them are for clean energy. We will let them know who is working to keep Vermont Yankee open and what it will entail. So yes we will let them know who is not fighting for climate change.

Chair Simmons: I'm curious about the nuclear energy front versus the carbon dioxide front. How are they related?

David: Well nuclear energy has pros and cons as you can debate that, but Vermont Yankee in particular is unsafe. We are trying to take care of that.

Chair Herman: CODEEE met with some of your members lately. How can senators help make this more successful?

David: We are mostly looking for support and recognition. If we can work with you cohesively on this matter we can spread the word farther.

Senator Doran: As far as specific steps to get involved in projects, how would you do that?

David: For what we are going to be doing in Burlington, there are a lot of things going on for 350 on 10/10/10. You can go online to 350.org to see what's planned and then you can pick and choose. As of this upcoming Wednesday all events should be finalized and you will be able to know what's going on. Or you can speak to one of us.

Senator Doran: What about planning the events?

David: There are outlines on the website of what is available but you can really work with one of us.

Anna, UVM Student

Anna: Hi, So I don't stumble my words I made some notes. My name is Anna, I'm a senior in the education department and an elementary education major as well as a member of the Jewish community. I am student teaching in a diverse school in Burlington, Edmunds Middle School. Lately I've been feeling that the negative and intolerant voices are growing stronger and louder in our country. Now is the time to support our local community and speak against intolerance. I want the Muslim community to know that we value them. We live in a country with religious freedom. Now more than ever we need to practice what we teach. We need to work to be in support of tolerance. The Muslim community is hard working and a core part of community. We cannot speak just amongst ourselves. Negative closed-minded individuals are highlighted in the media and this is spreading intolerance. I would like to organize a walk for tolerance in support of tolerance of religion. I would also like to show support for the Muslim community at large. I want us to work together for largest turnout possible. The date will hopefully be Saturday September 26, probably in the afternoon although I'm open to suggestions. Maybe from 1-3. This would be starting at the bottom of church street and ending near Halverson's and the fountain. My dad works for WCAX and

they have expressed interest if we can get enough people so that the word will be spread further. I am planning on talking to as many organizations on campus especially the Jewish and Muslim communities. I hope you will all come.

Open the floor for questions:

Chair Simmons: Thanks for coming, I love the idea. Is it going to Saturday the 25 or Sunday 26?

Anna: Saturday the 25th.

Chair Adams: Did you know that as the Student Activities committee we can help you get in contact with clubs on campus so if that's something you want to do we'd love to talk to you.

Anna: I have a piece of paper of people who I can get in contact with and for those of you that are interested if you would just write your name and email if you want to help. Also if you could put down anyone you know that would be helpful that would be good. I will also need help creating posters and signs, but we can have like a poster party.

Chair Monteforte: Thanks for coming in. Would you like us to put our info on newly created UVM SGA facebook group?

Anna: Are you guys in for this? I'm really enthusiastic and this is not something I typically do. I'm busy, I'm taking classes and I'm a senior so I really need help. As much as you can do to help is wonderful.

Old Business

Bill Allocating Funds to UVM Crew

Chair Mallea: I brought this up last week and there have been some topics of discussion. UVM crew is requesting some money through our capital allocation process. [*reads bill*]. So at this time I would like to yield the floor to two representatives from UVM Crew to explain what this request is for.

Jake Deliberto: Hi everyone I'm Jake Deliberto the president of UVM Crew and this is David Brown, the Treasurer. We're happy you gave us the chance to be here. We are the biggest club sport at UVM and we have doubled in size in the past 2 years. Subsequently, our equipment is not meeting our standard. We have greatly expanded our novice program. Our equipment is a little lacking we need more boats. This money would help us buy 3 more boats and help expand the population and benefit the club for years to come. Last year we raised \$90,000. We also had the second biggest budget from SGA. We have worked really hard over the past year and are going to be working hard this year. Funding for these new boats is very important to our team's success.

Open floor to questions:

Senator Willis: What is the total number of men on your team as well as number of boats you have right now?

David Brown: The men's varsity team is 25 members, women's varsity has 35 members, the novice team for men is projected at 40 men and 80 women, this is all for first years. For boats we have a total of 9 eights and 4 fours. This means that in these boats either eight people row at one and four people row at once. We would be able to fit more people on the water and have them practicing every day.

Senator Willis: Will some boats be used for practice or just for varsity racing?

Deliberto: For us I know that we would use a new system because our team has grown so much. We would have a pool that would benefit all teams. In past they went to just men's or women's but now they would benefit all across the board. We have not yet determined if they would be used for practice or racing but probably both.

Chair Morgan: I just wanted to note that you need to change the dates to 2010. Chair Mallea how much money was originally asked for?

Chair Mallea: They originally asked for \$20,000 dollars and this is a lesser portion. However, they will be seeking financing through the budget process for the rest of the money. They have done a really good job with research to find boats that are comparable and they are really getting a good deal on these boats, one is essentially going to be free. This is a good opportunity for team to grow and move forward.

Senator Allegre: I have a question to clarify what is the lifespan of the boats?

Deliberto: They are used boats that were made in 01. They have the potential to last another 20 years.

Senator Willis: Do you guys fundraise any kind of money to contribute to the boats that you are hoping to get?

David: We do a number of fundraisers throughout the year. Rent a rower brought in \$25,000 last year. We will fundraise as much as we can. Our team needs much more money than budgeted. We do our best to fundraise in order to maintain our team. Crew is a very expensive sport. A new boat can be upwards of \$35000 so it takes a lot of fundraising efforts to keep us going. We have a fundraising board and our all of our team members put in a lot of time as well.

Willis: What is the other company that you got a boat from and do you know the exact price?

Deliberto: We are buying them from a rowing club in southern New York. They are very good, fast boats. The cost of each is \$6833.33 for all three boats.

Chair Adams: Just so everyone knows this club is considered in good standing with Student Activities and Leon.

Bill automatically called to question: Passes

New Business
none

Emergency Business

Chair Mallea: I yield to Vice President Maciewicz

Vice President Maciewicz: Ok, so we have one more appointment to do. If I can have Jordan come up and stand up here. Ok so I will read the bill again although it's the same format as last time. *[reads bill]*. Through the appointments process there were 14 candidates for 7 seats. He was considered a remarkable candidate from a remarkable pool. My recommendation says I think he will do a good job. This appointment would put him on finance, which would make them have a full committee, and us have a full body of 42.

Open the floor for questions

Senator Filstein: What is your favorite ice cream flavor?

Jordan: Magical ??

Senator O'Brien: Why are you interested in joining SGA and what projects are you looking forward to working on?

Jordan: I have watched Claire suffer and find fulfillment through this group. It feels like she's actually done something and would like to be a part of something. I've always liked UVM clubs and have never really been on them so this would be a way to learn more. I'm also a Math major who is always looking for real life application and the Finance committee would be a good example.

Chair Simmons: Why weren't you at the retreat?

Jordan: I was hosting guests that had been planning to come for a while and it was also my 21st birthday.

Bill Automatically Called to Question: Passes

Swearing in of senators Lovell, Benner, Burns, Ballas, Ravech and Malloy: Swearing In.

Speaker Chevrier: Point of information: Finance is excused to go sit through the treasurers' workshop.

Executive Reports

Speaker Chevrier: So I'm really sorry that I was sick on Sunday. I had a terrible headache and couldn't look at light or move my eyes. So I brought to you the presentation I was going to give at the retreat. WTF is the difference between the constitution and the operational documents? And where can I find them? If you go to UVM.edu/sga, on the left hand side there is a really cool outdated picture. Over here is resources. Under resources are the constitution and operational documents. The constitution is the document SGA operates off of. To amend it is difficult and must go through constitution committee and be presented 2 weeks before a vote. It then needs a $\frac{3}{4}$ majority vote, which is a big majority. Currently, amendments can only come through the constitution committee. If a senator wants to amend something it has to come through the constitution committee. I think that's too much

power for the constitution committee and I would love to change that but I need committee members. Operational documents operate guidelines and spell out rules for senators. They are fluid documents and only need a 2/3 majority. What is a bill? A piece of legislation that is an internal SGA matter. Only deals with inner body. A resolution is a formal expression of opinion. A good example of this is marriage equality. After this we worked to make it a reality but the resolution itself didn't actually change anything. I also want to show you how to write a bill. Under uvm.edu/sga on the same left hand side there is SGA matters and you can go to 'current legislation', which is all the legislation we have passed this session. Historic legislation is all passed since it's been online. If you want to look at the LGBT equality bill. They all start with 'Whereas' we talk about why the bill has come up, what will be done, why, here it gives specific statistics. If you do use specific statistics you can also do footnotes at the bottom. If you ever have questions feel free to talk to me. You can always just send me your legislation and I can just properly format it for you. I can't change the words though so make sure you've checked that. Up here, you may wonder, what are these tricky numbers? RF is because it's a resolution. The first number is 09 because it was in 2009. Then 007 is because it was the 7th resolution this senate. I assign that number so don't worry about it. Up here is date submitted which is when it was submitted to speaker in final copy. Then it would be the date for new business. The date of taken action is day we voted on it. That's all I have as far as using the computer. I want to just remind everyone to be here at 7. I'm really excited about everyone who has been here but try to be in your seats at 7. It's hard to say whose in attendance if you are running here. Also I would like to talk briefly about how to respond to people who come to public forum. The reason that people come is because SGA is supposed to give suggestions and maintain connections. So SGA is in a really cool position because we have the largest body of voters in the state. No one in Tallahassee cares about Florida State University because there are a bunch of other schools around. I'm sure Representative Ram will talk about when she comes in. When they come in on public forum when it's not what you do as a senator. Think about it as me passing along a bill. If anyone is willing to pass a bill regarding religious understanding that would go along with it. Other speakers in the past have invited everyone to come speak. If there is anyone you would like to see in here let me know. If you are confused about something I can contact them.

Vice President Maciewicz: If you want to be recognized to speak put your name tag out or raise your hand.

Open the Floor for Questions:

Chair Simmons: I'm a little confused, would you pass a bill or resolution supporting the Muslim community?

Speaker Chevrier: That would be a resolution.

Senator Benes: Did you say that if we want people to come to public forum that we can't communicate with them ourselves?

Speaker Chevrier: By all means contact them yourselves. If you want a professional invite I can do that too. You can welcome people from outside things you might be working on. 2 years ago Speaker Frank invited at least 2 people every week. If you prefer this I can do it but haven't been at this point.

Senator Fitzgerald: What is the benefit of writing a religious tolerance resolution?

Chair Chevrier: The outcome would depend on who passes it and cosigns it. The SGA passed a resolution trying to ban bottled water. Had we just passed that people would have been interested but nothing would have happened. Now CODEEE is using that to meet with people to make it a reality. It says that SGA believes in this and gives them more weight.

Senator Filstein: Can you highlight some unique some qualities of Claire's rule's of order?

Speaker Chevrier: We basically operate off of Robert's rules of order. There are some specific things that are Claire's rules of order. I created 'point of clarification'. You can currently say points of information, which is where you can stand up, and state a fact. Point of clarification is something that is related which is for when a senator is confused about something to the point that it will stop them from participating or understanding in the debate. But basically I have adapted my rules of order from Julia's rules of order who adapted them from Ana's rules who adapted them from Mandy's rules of order and so on and so forth.

Vice President Maciewicz: Thank you for a great weekend at the retreat I had a really good time. It was my first time doing retreat planning and I learned a lot and I hope it was informative. If you weren't there I have a binder for you with some information. Next week there will be a survey for feedback about the retreat. I basically created the retreat based on what people have said in the past. I will pass it along for next week. So, appointments. It's my job to develop them for 150 different advisory groups. I've been slow at doing that and now that the retreat is over I will be getting going. There are 2 committees that need urgent appointments, if you are interested please stay after. The Presidential Committee on racial diversity chaired by Stacey Miller and President Fogel, it's very important. There are 4 other ones that all have SGA senators. Also, The Gender and Sexual Based Violence Working Group is studying date rape culture at UVM. It needs 2 student representatives soon. If you are interested in those please let me. So for office logistics, I've taken a back seat on this so now I'm back. For new office assignments, if you haven't posted office hours you need to do that by Friday. We all need office hours, at least 15 a week, so please post these by the end of the week. I know some of you have had computer problems. Jess has been busy but now that the retreat is over we have more time so if you could just remind us what's going on we can work on that. Also, if you look around the office you'll see we have installed some new artwork and this should wrap up the office renovation from the summer.

Open the floor for questions:

Chair Monteforte: Thanks for having the pictures on the wall. We should get a life sized cut out of you.

Chair Lober: I'm curious if you could update us about what senators are on which presidential committees.

Vice President Maciewicz: I am on the LGBT Equity Commission. Senator Willis is on the President's Commission on Social Change. Chair Mallea is on the commission on the Status of Women. Speaker Chevrier is on the commission on diversity and inclusion. We need one more member for the commission on racial diversity.

Speaker Lober: Are those positions restricted to SGA senators?

Vice President Maciewicz: They are not restricted in that every spring there is a call for nominations. The President's office does their own internal search and there is one seat for an SGA senator that the Vice President has to fill. There are usually 3-4 students on each commission.

President Mensah: Happy Tuesday. First I just wanted to go around and give a round of applause to David for doing an amazing job with the retreat this weekend. It was his first retreat and he's working really hard and has been stressed out. It all went really well this weekend. A few updates, next week I am going to a Board of Trustees Meeting. This is a committee meeting for the actually board meeting which will be on October 29-30. We will be voting on the agenda for this meeting on Monday's meeting. We are also approving a contract for Paul M. Cotton. It's quite a sum of funds but its not to exceed the amount. 249,030 the agreement is to cover his services from July 2010 to June 2011. I will let you know what the results are and what services he will be offering in terms of psychiatry to UVM students. There is going to be a new thing each week with UVMTV in Brennan's. I will not be able to attend this week's Live at Brennan's. I would like 2 or 3 first years to see if you are free tomorrow to go live at Brennan's and talk to students who are eating there about why you joined and what you hope to see senate do this year. I will be sending out a special message. *The Cynic* contacted us about survey. Work-study has been cut drastically this year and there are issues. There are some residential hall front desks like MAT and Slade that haven't had office hours so that students have had to wait until evening hours when the RAs are there. If you are interested, look for that when the results come through. As a heads up I won't be here next week. I'm flying to D.C. and will be attending a law conference. The senator of the week is going to Will Vitagliano of the CODEEE committee. For the past few weeks they have done so much with the coke contract and asking important questions, making sure they are covering all their bases so we can see if we will continue this or move on to something else. Last week, I said for senators that biked to retreat. I ran home after class today and made some brownies. I will give these first to the senators that biked. I guess there was a 7 hour adventure on the way home and they ended up in NY.

Open the floor for questions:

Chair Morgan: For the next board of trustees meeting is in October, do you have the exact dates?

President Mensah: The 29-30, it's a Friday and Saturday.

Senator O'Brien: Can you speak a little slower next time, I missed what you were saying.

Senator Filstein: I would like to hear you talk a little more about a psychiatrist who is going to be paid quarter million dollars. Has he been hired yet, is this the final vote or just moving it to the Board of Trustees?

President Mensah: When I email out my presidential report next week. I'm not sure what we are voting on Monday, I will let you know the status of that. I don't think that we will actually pay him \$250,000 we just can't pay him more.

Senator Filstein: What are you actually voting on?

President Mensah: I'm not sure if we're voting on whether or not his contract is going to be renewed or if its to continue voting at the Trustees meeting.

Chair Adams: Does he have a contract now with the university? Is this voting to extend an existing contract or is it a new contract? And will the decision on Monday be the final word?

President Mensah: I'm not sure.

Vice President Maciewicz: I know people who work there. The funding for joint appointment because he will work with the center for health and wellbeing and the counseling center so that the total is just the salary as a counselor and his office at health and wellbeing. This will need to be approved by the Board Of Trustees.

Senator Lober: is this renewing his contract?

President Mensah: I will email Richard Cate and let you know.

Senator Lober: I want to check in from last meeting, Kofi talked about sending out a list of summer duties.

President Mensah: I will send it when this meeting is over.

Senator O'Brien: I was wondering if exec has gotten to get together to make an action plan like we talked about on the retreat this weekend?

President Mensah: We had a mini exec retreat that first Friday students were moving in. Elizabeth gave me great detailed plan of what she wanted to do this year and David and I also went through what we will be doing. We can email you the list or you can ask us questions pertaining to it

Speaker Chevrier: Point of Clarification: Out of order is for when people are really not supposed to be talking.

Committee Reports

Student Action:

Chair Simmons: I'm so excited to have our two new members, we now have a full, loving, wonderful family. I just received Chair Herman's blessing to take over a bit of the coke contract as well as Will Vitagliano who will work with most of Student Action on the coke contract right now. We had a great meeting at the retreat. We were the last ones left in dining hall talking about coke and what we can do about coke now. Basically we need to do some research and figure out what we can do now before the discussion even comes up. I've been told it will be this spring. We will have some meetings with each other and with some people in the administration.

Speaker Chevrier: Point of Information: If you ever need to present using the computer during the meeting let me know in advance so I can set it up.

Public Relations

Chair Monteforte: So we're back from the retreat. I'm happy to have a new committee, everyone seems awesome. We have a new facebook page thanks to Semir and Trey. I invite you all to friend UVMSGa. If you look we have friends, about 223. I think that's pretty sweet. That's looking pretty awesome. We also have Skype. We are going to try to have a 'chat with your senator' thing so that if you are online you can ask us a question. Tomorrow is the activities fair where we will have a table. Setup is at 9 and then the event itself is from 10-2. If you are walking by come and stop in. COLA will be doing voter registration and talking about the lynx. Then if you are bored at 12 you can go to the SGA Q and A in Brennan's. Here is a lovely sign that Senators Vitagliano, Denton and Rizvanovic. It will be at 12. Me and Megan Fitz will be talking. I have a sign up sheet. It starts at noon and is only about half an hour. I really want to encourage you to participate. Also, here's a really cool picture of Whitney O'Brien.

Open the floor for questions:

Chair Adams: Does former chair Rifkin know that we have Skype?

Chair Monteforte: I can call her and ask her if she knows but it's 1am French time.

Senator Filstein: Will there be free lunch at Brennan's tomorrow?

Chair Monteforte: Last time there was free water but no free food. I can try to ask them about that and see what I can do.

Chair Nelson: Do we know the dates of the VSOP yet?

Chair Monteforte: I've been working on this a while with Rob and Pat. We are going to do it a little different this year so it's a little more accurate. Hopefully it will be within the month. If you have questions please forward them to me.

Chair O'Brien: Do you have plans for the table tomorrow?

Chair Monteforte: I will be doing voter registration tomorrow. We're going to stress the lynx, the SGA facebook page and give out a flyer with SGA initiatives like the coke contract and a comment box to take notes about what opinions students had on how UVM is going.

Academic Affairs:

Chair Nelson: I had a good weekend at the retreat. We got a lot done and made an action plan. My report will be pretty quick. There is a GenEd meeting that Todd typically sits on but he can't make it so Zed is going as well but we do need a fill in. I'll yield the report to Todd as to what they will be doing in this meeting.

Senator Alleger: So the meeting is Thursday from 4:30-5:30 in Kalkin 225. This GenEd meeting will be training committee members to conduct workshops that I mentioned last week. We will be talking to various groups on campus to do the survey and start a discussion, also find out opinions on GenEd. If you go to the meeting you will conduct these surveys and be out there as a student talking to groups around campus. So I think it would be really cool if you went.

Chair Nelson: I want to reiterate what the gened proposal is right now and what things we will have in the future. Like the diversity requirement we have now. We are talking about adding skills and knowledge including health and human knowledge. It's a good opportunity. We are researching the faculty contract and using the listserv to discuss it because these things will continually be coming up. I will be talking to Keith Williams for syllabi and evaluations and start to put on the heat.

Senator White: For the new gened requirements, will they go into effect for those that are in the middle of degrees?

Chair Nelson: It will probably be for the beginning of year.

Chair Filstein: Point of Information: You would get grandfathered in.

Speaker Chevrier: Point of Information: For my year you had to do six distribution requirements and the next year they had to do all 7.

Chair Nelson: I talked to someone from gened, I think it was Rita or Brian Reed. They are coming in to talk about it next week and the surveys they are going to be conducting. We can look over the survey with him and improve it, clarify and make comments.

Speaker Chevrier: Brian Reed is planning on coming in.

Senator Filstein: At the faculty senate meeting yesterday Brian Reed announced that he's basically coming in and making us fill out the survey. It's going to be important that we question it. This will be impacting all UVM students from now on. This is it for representing the students. We are pretty much it so do your due diligence.

Chair Nelson: I will email senate the draft of the proposal that they have now. If everyone could please look it over for next week.

Open the floor for questions:

Senator Willis: As senators participating in gened meetings do we have voting rights or the ability to make decisions?

Senator Filstein: It's a joint committee they are writing the proposals and they are coming to us for feedback when they are done. The Board of Trustees will vote and then perhaps the changes will come in. We need to take this seriously.

Senator Willis: Who are they seeking feedback from?

Senator Filstein: We are influencing the final gened package that they will be voting on. We can tell them what is best for future students and try to make it as good as possible.

Senator White: When is the meeting?

Chair Nelson: Thursday from 4-5:30 in Kalkin 225 but please let one of us on Academic Affairs know so we can organize it with the gened committee.

Senator Filstein: They will also be coming into senate and we will be having a discussion.

Senator Sadeghi: Would it be beneficial to have friends come in to take the survey?

Senator Filstein: I think survey itself is online so we won't actually be taking it here but if you have friends who are interested bring them in.

Finance:

Chair Mallea: First off, I'm sorry we left. We were across the hall at the Treasurers' workshop. In the past, Finance has not been required to attend the workshops, which is odd since we work so closely with clubs. So the committee attended along with club signers and treasurers so that's what we were doing. Along the lines of Finance, this week we met with Pat Brown and discussed where the Finance Committee is going. Things to look out for, we're reviewing our budget process. It will be earlier this year. We are also looking at executive stipends and the student activity fee, if it should go up, down, stay the same and doing preliminary research. As far as supplemental funds, we had 12 gas requests, they were for various things. Some clubs used the funding to go to an event in Middlebury. The Sailing club submitted all their requests for the semester so that they don't come in every week, which we appreciate. Thanks for passing our Crew bill.

Student Activities:

Chair Adams: Student Activities will be attending the Treasurers' workshop. For those of you who are interested in club finance you are welcome to attend, the last one is tomorrow from 7-9 in Billings. Chair Monteforte and President Mensah attended the one last night. Leon is holding club sports workshops. The Policy workshops are on Sunday the 26th. We are doing an introduction from 11-1 for new clubs. From 1-3 there will be a general overview with the old clubs. Student Activities and Finance have worked together and every club has a liaison on finance and Student Activities now. Hopefully this will help with the budgeting linking club performance with club finances. Just so you know we will be doing this more often. All of the new pictures are in the office, which was a competition that Activities worked on last year they are exciting and cool, check them out. The lynx is glitchy so be patient and check it out. The activities fair is tomorrow so check it out and say hi.

COLA:

Chair Morgan: We are registering voters at the activities fair if anyone wants to join us let me know. We will be tabling in the Davis Center from now until the voter registration deadline, which is October 27. We will be informing voters as to what districts they vote in and who the candidates are and what their polling places are. The Neighborhood Initiative Grant Application is done and will go on lynx. There is a working selection committee meeting in October and there is a lot to it so ask me for details. We are planning on doing a PSA and making a timeline as to when they want to be done. We haven't decided how to advertise. There's definitely the facebook page and other resources. The Community Coalition Meeting was on Friday. I'd like to see more of you there at the next one, it's in October in the Pearl House and I will remind you when the time gets closer. Important Burlington people are there as well as citizens. Being there helps you to understand what Burlington residents are going through and provide a student voice. The assistant city attorney wants to do a mini program on trinity because they have been bad recently with McCauley's mayhem. The residents of East Ave. haven't been happy. I want to work with him and res life and do a pilot program. Potentially if that works it will go on to other complexes around campus. The City Council meeting was really dull and then on the fifth

page of the agenda they discussed Richard Cate. Richard Cate is going to communicate with them more. He updated them regarding the building of Redstone 2 and the zoning amendments and they want him to come back on the 27th of September or the following week. Last year when he gave a report some senators were there. That was the first time we heard straight answers about class sizes and when they were trying to get building permits for Redstone 2. He tends to give the city council straight answers. We're also working on safer street collaboration and promoting biker and pedestrian safety. If interested if you are interested in this please email me. I will let Louise Vianco know and that you will be there.

Open the floor for questions

Senator Filstein: I heard a question from a former COLA member as to what is Mike Glynne is doing with his life?

Chair Morgan: All I know is that he's going to law school in Detroit.

CODEEE

Chair Herman: Today I did bagging with Alicia Taylor. This was my first time at OSCR, which is shocking since I'm a senior. We walked around the neighborhood, which I don't usually care for, but I learned a lot of things today. I learned about the off-campus events they put on. We're working closely with Anna that was on public forum help them with more student involvement and worked to get a spot for them to have a banner in the Davis Center. They should be all set as of tomorrow morning to put it up. There will be more notice that way later on. If any of you have good ideas to promote student involvement email me. Just so you know, we are taking suggestions that we got at the retreat seriously. We've also started working on cultural inclusion of the events and gotten in contact with Tamara Plummer who sent me to Matthew Gilsbach who is the coordinator of campus programs. We are in the research stage we want to survey students to see what the program board is actually doing. We're setting up a meeting with him Thursday as to we are going to meet with Josh and Gioia in the office of sustainability to discuss various issues about sustainability. To echo Chair Simmons, Pat emailed us about the name of a service that is putting together a committee. We will be working on that along with Will.

Senatorial Forum

Senator Wilich: I heard about the eugenics movement in one of my courses, which is something I hadn't heard of before. The university played a big role in this in Vermont. The charge was led by a highly esteemed professors. Apparently, a student in the past wrote a letter asking why we haven't apologized for this formally. Fogel said he knew about it but took no action. It was basically a movement from 1910-1960 where people were targeted and sterilized so they couldn't have children. The targets were the institutionalized and poor people, it was just crazy. You can expect to hear more from me on that on the listserv.

Chair Monteforte: Thanks for signing up for Brennan's. I think I fixed the link on that thing I wrote about changing the time. Unfortunately UVMTV wants to keep that slot and we want to keep it regular. It will stream on the Davis Center TVs. If you can't make it you can also watch it online.

President Mensah: I just wanted to notify folks of the landscape advisory committee. I was just emailed the hours of that. They are continuing to access the landscape around UVM campus. The times are every third Tuesday of the month. The first is September 21. I won't be able to make them, it's from 230-4. If you are interested please contact David. I will forward that email to the senate listserv. Also for, parking and transportation, let me know if anyone wants bicycle advisory committee.

Chair Simmons: Point of information: I am already on that committee.

President Mensah: Well if anyone else is interested please talk to me or Chair Simmons

Chair Adams: I brought up the softball bill last week to vote on this week. Risk management hasn't given me the go ahead yet so I've tabled it for now and hopefully it can be brought up next week. As far as the Eugenics movement, Vice President Maciewicz and I took a class on it. It was led by Henry Perkins who we have a building named after on campus. That might be a good place to stop by and see why we have a building named after him. For Chair Herman, you may want to talk to program board. We do try to program as inclusively as possible. We also do have surveys that have been done already so you may want to look at those to save work.

Speaker Chevrier: I thought I would explain that to you that technically I was elected as a senator and then was appointed to sit up here. I can sit up here and talk like a senator. Senators and anyone else elected is allowed to speak. Thanks for coming to the bus audits. I want to give something for you but I can't cook so I might buy you something. Thank you and if you have any information you put down please get it to me as soon as possible. You can leave it with Jess or e-mail it to me. Also, I just really wanted to thank Chair Simmons, Senator O'Brien and Chairs Nelson and Adams and Vice President Maciewicz for all the work of finally getting the pictures up in the galaxy space. I'm glad it's finally done. Voting records, please send them up to me. We did a 360 tonight where we used first names and nicknames again. We're supposed to use formal names to make the minutes make sense. All senatorial matters should be discussed with formal names, casual discussions can be informal. Thanks for the first senator, Senator Malloy to use Point of Clarification or Point of "Claire-ification" as someone said you could call it. Ironically, the Perkins building is one of the few where there are no elevators. When I had knee problems I had to send documentation to my professor to send to the registrar's office to finally get the class moved and it was awful. It did work but that's a terrible process. If anyone else is angry and has political abilities that would be a great cause.

Vice President Maciewicz: I would like to introduce our minute taker, Amy Bovee, who has been here for the last few meetings and has agreed to stay on with us. She was also in the class on Eugenics that I took and Chair Adams dropped. I also have thank you cards for President Fogel and Pat Brown and for Jess and her husband and I will have one for Dustin next week. Please pass them along and keep it small so you all will fit. Just sign your name.

Chair Monteforte: I want to reiterate the thank you for all signing up for the activities fair tomorrow. I emailed you all who is working when. Please show up and put on a good presentation. Thanks for passing crew bill, they do good things and work hard.

Chair Herman: For Chair Adams, do you know if the program board survey has already been completed and what the results are and such.

Chair Adams: We have student voice who are the same people who do the lynx touch icon things. It's UPB and WOW people who solicit responses. They ask for recommendations. You and I can talk about it privately and some of those things Matthew Gilsbach, the coordinator can talk to you about.

Senatorial Comments/Announcements

Senator Benes: I was going to get a computer to check the exact time but my friends and I do a thing called a triathathon. We start out from Burlington on Sunday, I will send out the times via email exactly. It's going to be around 9 at Ira Allen. We'll bike 10 miles up to the cosway to go to the islands. The cut is a 200 ft gap between the bicycle path and then we throw our bags in and swim across. Then we go for a 2-mile walk or run and go and pick apples and then go back. Usually it's a whole day venture so if you want to come you are invited. We will probably do it again on the 25th. If you are interested please let me know. I will send something out over listserv.

Chair Adams: Josh Bennett is coming on Wednesday. He's a spoken word artist. It's on my facebook. I <3 female orgasm is Wednesday, the doors open at 7:30.

Senator White: Come free to be on Mondays at 8.

Senator Filstein: I <3 female orgasms on Thursday.

Speaker Chevrier: After you bike and all of that how do you get the apples back?

Senator White: We borrow bags, put them in the raft and then ride our bikes on the other side.

Senator Katz: Did you see the article on third page of water tower in the Ear section? if you haven't, read it.

Senator Lederer-Plaskett: We are official now, Greek Life has an end rape against women program if you want to be involved email me. We are seeking resources over workshops and people in the community that would be interested in presenting.

Senator Duran: There is a literary magazine in Burlington called *The Salon*. There is an opening party at the North End Studio. Its 5 dollars and you get a copy of the magazine and wine for those of you who are of age and cheese for all of those who aren't. Please come it's going to be really good.

Senator Katz: I would like to direct your attention to the ear section of *The Watertower*. There is a certain bit pertaining to an SGA meeting so please check that out.

Senator Benes: I will let you know, we are meeting at 8:30. I know it's early but we have to meet early to get back before the sun sets. I will send an email and meet in front of Ira Allen.

Vice President Maciewicz: Don't leave without signing the thank you cards. I want to mention again the need for people to be on the Presidential Commission on Racial Diversity and the Presidential Commission on Gender and Sexual-Based Violence working group.

Roll Call

Finance: Senators Tran, Linde, DeVivo, and Dougherty, excused.

Student Activities: Senators Mason and Moise, excused.

COLA: Senator Cheney, excused.

CODEEE: Senator Cluskey, excused.

Student Action: all present

Public Relations: all present

Academic Affairs: all present.

Adjournment

Meeting Adjourned: 8:52pm