Office Location: Grounds Building, 50 University Road (off East Ave)
Office Phone: (802) 656-3866
Campus Mailing Address: Physical Plant, 284 East Avenue, Burlington, VT
Tree Campus USA
The Arbor Day Foundation has recognized UVM as an official Tree Campus USA.
UVM Campus Tree Inventory Map
Summer and Seasonal Employment
Students! Like to get your hands dirty? The Grounds department sometimes has summertime or seasonal opportunities to help with horticultural and grounds maintenance crews.
For more information, contact Rose
Leland UVM Grounds Manager.
Grounds tasks include...
- Maintenance of all trees, shrubs and turf on campus,
including mowing, trimming, weeding, planting, pruning, mulching,
seeding, fertilization, watering, and leaf removal
- Maintenance, snow plowing, and salting/sanding of parking
lots, sidewalks, and roadways
- Debris and litter pick-up, graffiti clearing
- Fence installation and maintenance, drain clearing,
trucking, and equipment repair and maintenance
- Responsible for over 300 acres, over 200 acres of trees,
shrubs, and turf, more than 2500 trees, 39 acres of parking lots, 15
miles of walkways, and 9 miles of roads
Recycling & Waste Management tasks include...
- Daily collection of recycling, compostable organics, and solid waste
- Oversee contracted waste services
- Read more about UVM Recycling program
- Moving and trucking services for small jobs (e.g., moving
furniture or storage boxes across campus). To schedule, submit a FAMIS
Our Steps toward Sustainability
Click on topics to Learn More About Our Operations
- Safety is our First Priority
- Our number one priority is safety. Aesthetics follows not far behind.
Snow removal is always at the top of our list because it correlates
with both safety and aesthetics.
- Work is scheduled around major campus activities
- We are in constant communication with other departments including
Events Services (CAES), Admissions, the President's
Office and other groups responsible for scheduling campus events.
Software programs including FAMIS (our work order scheduling system)
the campus events management scheduling software, assist in
- Landscape planning and installation
- External architectural and engineering firms plan landscape designs for
new projects. The Grounds department is consulted by UVM Facilities
Design & Construction and Campus Planning Services
in the early
stages to review and comment on pre-construction plans. It is then
where we can comment on any issues we find relevant and make sure
campus standards are followed. Additionally, there are several campus
committees that evaluate and approve the designs.
- Sidewalk Placement and "Green Space"
- The amount of green space is managed through Campus Planning Services
and the Burlington
Planning & Zoning Office. Sidewalk placement is
typically part of the overall design with new building projects and is
part of the site package. However, because our campus is old, it has
developed in a "piece meal" fashion, which means that traffic plans are
always a challenge.
- Use of campus grounds for outdoor events
- Ground conditions and the weather determine when campus areas are
acceptable for outdoor events. Colder than average temperatures, late
season snowfalls and spring moisture are typical situations that delay
our usage of outdoor spaces.
- Snow Removal Protocol
- Police Services determines when we are called in on off-hours for snow
removal because they are on campus 24 hours a day. During steady snow
storms, we continuously plow and salt when the storm slows down. If accumulations are
light and no plowing is necessary, we will apply salt as a preventive
measure to avoid freezing conditions. Please report snow removal concerns to Service Operations Support.
- Partnering with Landscape Contractors
- Landscape work is very cyclical and seasonal in nature, so there are fluctuations
in labor needs throughout the year. Contractors are hired primarily during the winter
to plow snow and in the spring to help with
clean up of the campus grounds.
Links to Our Program Partners