How to Request Routine Services

For fire or life-threatening concerns, dial 911 from any phone.
For emergency maintenance needs (e.g., floods, power outages)
call SOS at (802) 656-2560 and select "1" from the menu.

For Routine Requests

The most efficient way to send in a request is to use the FAMIS Self-Service system. You can submit detailed repair requests, report electrical, plumbing or mechanical problems in your building, request a pickup of surplus property and extra recycling, and various other maintenance needs. 

For Returning FAMIS Users

Login here to access FAMIS: FAMIS Self-Service

For tips and instructions on navigating the FAMIS website, click here.

For new FAMIS Users: Request a Password

To set up a new FAMIS user name account and password, email .

Not a FAMIS User?

Click here to submit a maintenance concern or comment.

For Surplus Pickup Requests

For surplus pickup of appliances, laboratory equipment or moveable equipment, a supplemental form is required in addition to the on-line FAMIS Service Request. Departments must download and complete this Surplus Disposal Form for all appliances or lab equipment regardless of value. (This form does not apply to furniture and computer equipment.) Complete form, make a copy. Attach one copy to the item or equipment to be picked up; send original copy to UVM Surplus via campus mail, fax or email.  For more information on this procedure, please email

For Key Requests

Complete the Request for Keys/Card Access Form and fax a signed copy to the Lock Shop Fax Number 656-8537. For more information, phone the Lock Shop directly at 656-0984.

For Cost Estimate Requests

If requested, Physical Plant can provide an estimate on the cost of a project (e.g., building bookshelves, installing an outlet.) For an estimate, initiate a FAMIS Service Request, and indicate "for estimate only."

Larger renovation projects are handled through UVM Facilities Design & Construction Services at 656-3291.

College of Medicine and Medical Complex Buildings in need of renovations and alterations should be directed to the Med-Plex Project Manager of the Physical Plant Department.

Who Pays for What?

Most routine repairs and maintenance to University buildings and facilities are paid by the Physical Plant operating budget. However, some services are charged directly to the requesting department. Call SOS to determine if the requested work is your department’s responsibility or covered by Physical Plant funds.