Sustainability and the Physical Plant
For nearly three decades, the UVM Physical Plant Department has been
leading the campus in sustainability initiatives.
Recycling & waste reduction, energy efficiency, water
conservation and upgrading the campus buildings have long been a part
of our Department's core mission.
Our staff continue to play a vital role in advancing UVM's current
sustainability and environmental stewardship programs. Here are a few
of the initiatives and programs we've implemented over the
Recycling and Waste Reduction
- Diverting over 45% of our waste stream through our award winning Recycling Program.
- Piloting and managing the first Eco-Reps program in 2004, which has since been made permanent in
the UVM Office of Sustainability.
- Installing & retrofitting drinking fountains on campus with bottle filling stations to encourage reusable water bottle use
Energy Management, Efficiency and Conservation Initiatives
Automotive & Fleet Maintenance
- Use of Electric GEM cars
- Reduced number of vehicles in fleet and reduced travel
time through Zone Maintenance structure.
- Heating the Automotive services garage with waste oil
Maintaining our LEED and Historic Buildings