Energy Conserving Tips for UVM Staff & Faculty
- By Physical Plant
To all UVM Faculty & Staff,
With this week’s hot weather, this is a good time to remind the UVM community about ways to conserve energy within their offices, labs and/or classrooms on campus. The following are some suggestions on how to help UVM conserve and save money on high-cost utilities, especially during the peak hours from 8:00 AM to 4:00 PM:
- Turn off unnecessary lighting and electronic equipment
- Place large office copiers and laser printers in "energy-saving" mode after completing scan or print jobs, if available.
- Unplug all electrical devices not in use for an extended period of time; Many electronic devices have "phantom” or “ghost" power even after you turn off the switch
- Pull window shades and blinds closed to help reduce "heat gain" during hot daytime hours
- For all window or portable air conditioning units, keep the fan on LOW and the temperature set point at 78 degrees; ALWAYS turn off before leaving for extended periods of time during the day and for home in the evenings and weekends
- Close laboratory fume hood sashes when hoods are not in use. Store chemicals in appropriate storage cabinets and NOT in the laboratory fume hoods; Contact UVM Risk Management at 656-5400, if you have further questions or need specific protocol clarification
- Dress appropriately for warm conditions if your job does not require a designated uniform or safety-related clothing; Talk with your direct supervisor for further clarification or specific questions
- Stay hydrated by drinking plenty of water
- If you observe any activities you believe are a waste of energy, immediately contact UVM SOS at 656-2560 to report it or enter a FAMIS Self Service request to the UVM Physical Plant Department. For more info, contact Energy Management Engineer, Rich Wolbach at 656-8213 or at email@example.com
Thank you for your participation in energy conservation and saving our valuable resources at UVM.