Annual Central Plant Maintenance Shutdown
Physical Plant to Conduct Shutdown May 18-24, 2014
- By UVM Physical Plant Department
The Physical Plant Department will be shutting down the Central Heating & Cooling Plant for annual maintenance beginning Sunday, May 18 at 6:00 pm immediately following Commencement through the following Friday, May 23 at 3:00 pm. The shutdown will impact the utility distribution system for many campus buildings.
The Central Heating & Cooling Plant is the "heart" of our physical campus, supplying steam and chilled water for heating, cooling, domestic hot water, and scientific research support. The annual shutdown is necessary to perform mandatory inspections and repairs for the proper functioning of the Plant and its satellite boilers. This maintenance can only be safely done with the entire system shut down. During shutdown:
- Standby boilers will provide steam to most of South Campus (facilities south of Main Street) but with intermittent disruptions.
- University Heights residence halls will be without heating, cooling and hot water for the entire week.
- Given, HSRF, Rowell, Converse and CBW will be without steam and air-conditioning on Saturday, May 24th from 6:00 am to 3:30 pm for specialized maintenance.
- Services on Central Campus will vary by building. Please consult the detailed schedule of impacts to campus buildings on the Physical Plant website.
Physical Plant is continually engineering ways to add reliability to the system, reduce risks of failure, and to shorten future shutdowns in order to minimize disruptions to campus activities and research. We appreciate your patience. The campus community can learn more about the shutdown and get a rare glimpse into the boiler rooms and steam vaults in this new video which was produced by student interns working alongside Physical Plant during the 2013 event.