Sustainability and the Physical PlantFor nearly three decades, the UVM Physical Plant Department has been leading the campus in sustainability initiatives. Recycling & waste reduction, energy efficiency, water conservation and upgrading the campus buildings have long been a part of our Department's core mission. Our staff continue to play a vital role in advancing UVM's current sustainability and environmental stewardship programs. Here are a few of the initiatives and programs we've implemented over the years:
Recycling and Waste Reduction
- Diverting over 45% of our waste stream through our award winning Recycling Program.
- Piloting and managing the first Eco-Reps program in 2004, which has since been made permanent in the UVM Office of Sustainability.
- Installing & retrofitting drinking fountains on campus with bottle filling stations to encourage reusable water bottle use
Energy Management, Efficiency and Conservation Initiatives
- Installing 1,300 LED bulbs in all campus Exterior Lighting fixtures, saving a half-million KwH per year
- The use of occupancy sensors and vending misers on vending machines has reduced energy costs.
- Installation of solar panels on the Central Heating Plant roof.
- Ongoing energy efficiency projects.
- Construction of Central Chilled Water plant
- Technical support for the Clean Energy Fund
- Reducing peak loads through building systems monitoring
- Lighting retrofit projects
- Providing CFL and LED bulbs for Eco-Reps program light bulb swaps.
- Boiler replacements
- Use of "Magic Salt" to reduce salt on roadways
- Supported student installation of bio-retention rain garden on campus with student chapter of AWRA.
Automotive & Fleet Maintenance
- Use of Electric GEM cars
- Reduced number of vehicles in fleet and reduced travel time through Zone Maintenance structure.
- Heating the Automotive services garage with waste oil
Maintaining our LEED and Historic Buildings
- Repairing campus building envelopes and increasing insulation
- Modernization projects of mechanical and electrical systems.
- Working with UVM Facilities Design & Construction and with UVM "Green Building" program.
- Window Replacements
- Preserving and maintaining UVM's historic buildings and structures.
Last modified August 21 2015 03:35 PM