Related Programs at the University of Vermont
There are a number of ways to approach ecological design at the University of Vermont through various programs of study within different schools and colleges. While no single Ecological Design major exists (yet!), some of the options for environmental design-focused courses of study are below.
- Environmental Studies (ENVS) – Sustainability Studies Concentration, Eco-Design and Planning Focus
- Environmental Science (ENSC) – Ecological Design Concentration
- Department of Plant & Soil Science (PSS) – Sustainable Landscape Horticulture Major
- College of Engineering & Mathematical Sciences (CEMS) – Environmental Engineering Major
- College of Agriculture and Life Sciences (CALS) – Self-Designed Major
- The Rubenstein School of Environment & Natural Resources (RSENR) – Self-Designed Major
- Department of Plant & Soil Science (PSS) – Sustainable Landscape Horticulture Minor
- Community Development & Applied Economics (CDAE) – Green Building and Community Design
- Department of Plant & Soil Science (PSS) – M.S. in Ecological Landscape Design
- The Rubenstein School of Environment & Natural Resources (RSENR) – Certificate in Ecological Design
Envisioning Environment at UVM Ecological Design Group
The Offices of the President, Provost and the Faculty Senate developed an Envisioning Environment at UVM work group. This cross-college faculty group was charged with conducting an inventory of the strengths of environmental education and research at UVM; identifying the comparative advantage in this realm; evaluating current organizational structure related to environmental education and research; assessing “best practices” nationally and internationally; and developing several alternative models for how to organize, support and maximize this work at the University of Vermont.
Several presentations and narratives for Envisioning Environment Committee were prepared by Ecological Design Group: Gary Flomenhoft, Elizabeth Calabrese, Matt Beam, Anthony McInnis, Diane Gayer, Matt Companion.
- Click here to find the presentation and narrative on Undergraduate Ecological Education Design
- Click here to find the presentation and narrative on Graduate Ecological Education Design
In December 2012, the Ecological Design Group also gave a final proposal an Interdisciplinary Environmental Design Program at the University of Vermont. You can view a summative poster of the program here.
Last modified December 07 2013 09:33 AM