UVM Consulting Archaeology Program
Archaeological investigations were undertaken from 1994-2000 at the Old Burial Ground, a historic cemetery in St. Johnsbury, Vermont, in advance of renovations at the Caledonia County Courthouse.
The cemetery was used from 1790 until 1856, prior to the construction of the original courthouse building. Most of the individuals in the original cemetery were exhumed and moved to another cemetery in town before the courthouse was built. However, as it turns out, numerous complete skeletons and portions of others had not been previously exhumed.
Archaeological excavations were necessary to ensure that any human remains left behind in the 1850s were recovered prior to new construction in Old Burial Ground. This work included careful study of each individual grave shaft within the proposed limits of the courthouse expansion project.
Last modified July 11, 2011