University Scholars Call for Nominations
Academic Year 2020-2021
- By Graduate College
Dean Cynthia Forehand in the Graduate College is pleased to invite nominations for the 2020-2021 University Scholar Award Program. The purposes of this award are to recognize, reward, and honor sustained excellence in research, creative, and scholarly activities of the faculty, and to encourage a general climate of scholarship at the University of Vermont.
Any full-time UVM faculty member may nominate or re-nominate any full-time member of the faculty for a University Scholar Award. Please note that this award is not limited to members of the graduate faculty. Nominees are expected to be at the highest rank in their faculty track and to have sustained excellence at that rank.
University Scholar Awards will be available in two categories: Social Sciences, Humanities and Creative Arts, and Basic and Applied Sciences (including Biological, Medical and Physical Sciences). Each of the awards will carry a grant of $2,500 to be used at the discretion of the recipient to promote their scholarly activities.
Nominations will be reviewed by a committee of University Scholars, which will then forward its recommendations to the Graduate College for final action.
The University Scholars are announced in early April.
Nomination Guidelines can be found online (scroll down to the Nomination Guidelines dropdown) and must include:
- a completed nomination form
- one letter of nomination from a UVM faculty member
- one letter seconding the nomination from a UVM faculty member
- an current Curriculum Vitae of the nominee
Please address the following items in the letter of nomination and the letter seconding the nomination:
- Contributions to promoting research, creative activities, and scholarship in the discipline of the nominee, highlighting particularly unique and highly acclaimed contributions.
- Contributions to promoting research, creative activities, and scholarship in the UVM community.
- Contributions to teaching or mentoring graduate and undergraduate students in research, creative activities and scholarship.
- Other comments deemed pertinent.
Please send all materials to Dan Harvey, Graduate College Office, 330 Waterman Building, University of Vermont, Burlington, VT 05405. Electronic submissions are welcome; send to Dan.Harvey@uvm.edu with University Scholar Nomination in the subject line. The deadline for submissions is Friday, January 31, 2020.
If you have any further questions about this program, please contact the Graduate College Office at 802-656-3160.