Local Community Relations
The Office of University Relations represents the University in interactions with local government officials, public and private entities, and various community groups. It shares information about UVM and its resources, builds relationships across sectors of the community, and promotes a collaborative approach to address common interests. In addition, the office:
- Monitors municipal policies, laws and ordinances and attends municipal government and community group meetings
- Coordinates requests for sponsorships and involvement in community advisory boards
- Serves as a contact point for communication between UVM and local leaders
- Encourages collaboration between the University and the community in working on goals of mutual interest such as housing, quality of life in neighborhoods, and community based service and research
The University and the City
The relationship shared by UVM and the City of Burlington is characterized by many mutual interests and synergies, and the success of both are closely intertwined. We depend on each other to thrive. Through strategic collaborations, new initiatives and investments we have made excellent progress in addressing problems, resolving concerns and building a strong and respectful relationship.
- To address quality of life issues the Office of Student and Community Relations (OSCR) organizes several initiatives that benefit the community including outreach and mediation services, Off-campus Living workshops, and neighborhood clean-ups.
- UVM provides resources (up to $90,000 this year) for additional Burlington Police officers to patrol in neighborhoods most impacted by students.
- The Community Coalition is a group of students, neighbors, landlords, city officials and UVM and Champlain College staff that is coordinated by UVM students and OSCR staff to improve communication and address quality of life issues.
- To support the economic stability of the City (and pay for services it receives and other costs incurred due to the University's impact), UVM makes an annual payment of over $1.2 million to Burlington.
- The Outdoor Events with Amplified Sound Policy strives to minimize the impact of UVM events on our neighbors because of amplified sound, road closures or increased traffic. You may sign up for notification about events here.
- Redstone Lofts houses more than 400 upperclass students on campus in a privately-owned apartment facility instead of in local neighborhoods. UVM houses more than 60% of its undergraduates on campus, more than many other colleges and universities.
- Our office collaborates with offices across campus - including the Office of Student and Community Relations, Student Life, and Campus Planning Services - to promote respectful and mutually beneficial relationships between campus members and the community.
Community Resources and Partnerships
- There are many UVM resources the community can use (PDF)
- The University facilitiates outreach to the community that includes lifelong learning, internships, community-based research, technology transfer, arts, athletics, and business resources
- University-Burlington Annual Report (PDF)
- Payment for Services Agreement (PDF)
- Memorandum of Agreement on Zoning and Housing (PDF)
- Outdoor Events with Amplified Sound Policy (PDF)
Joe Speidel, Director of Local Government and Community Relations
Joe.Speidel@uvm.edu or 802-656-0299
Before joining the Office of University Relations at UVM Joe held positions on campus in Career Services and in the Development and Alumni Relations Office (now the UVM Foundation). He earned a Master of Arts degree in Counseling Psychology and Bachelor of Arts degree at Boston College, and a Master of Education degree in Higher Education and Student Affairs at UVM. He completed the Snelling Center’s Vermont Leadership Institute program in 2009.
Joe’s volunteer involvement includes the United Way of Chittenden County, the ECOS Project, the Parallel Justice Commission, the Vermont Enhanced 911 Board, and Vermont Stage Company.
Last modified November 04 2013 10:17 AM