- Our Center
- Graduate Certificate
- Funding/ Assistantships
- Graduate Research
- Job Opportunities
Transportation Research Expo is well-attended and well-received
Release Date: 05-06-2009
Author: Kimberly Mercer
The Transportation Research Center (TRC) welcomed the public to an exposition of its projects and studies at the 2nd Annual TRC Research Expo on Wednesday, May 6, 2009, from 2:30 to 4:00 pm in the Silver Maple Ballroom, located in the Davis Center on the University of Vermont campus. This was an opportunity to see and discuss the innovative, trans-disciplinary research occurring at the Transportation Research Center to advance sustainable transportation.
Many thanks to our judges: Dan Harvey, Qingbin Wang, Ph.D., and Beverley Wemple, Ph.D., who awarded prizes for the three best posters, namely:
- 1st place: Impacts of Transportation Infrastructure on Stormwater and Surface Waters - Joe Bartlett, William Bowden, Ph.D., Mary Watzin, Ph.D.
- 2nd place: Modeling Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicle Impacts In Vermont from Empirical Vehicle/User Data - Paul Hines, Ph.D., Richard Watts, Ph.D. Jonathan Dowds, Chris Farmer, Steve Letendre, Ph.D.
- 3rd place: Link Capacity-Disruption and Isolating Links in the Calculation of a Transportation Network Robustness Index - James Sullivan, Lisa Aultman-Hall, Ph.D., David Novak, Darren M. Scott
The Expo featured the following poster presentations.
Transportation System Efficiency
- Effects of Miles Per Gallon Feedback on Fuel Efficiency in
Michael Schwob, Nicholas Lange, Laura Solomon, Ph.D., Peter Callas
- Modeling Plug-In Hybrid Electric Vehicle Impacts In Vermont
from Empirical Vehicle/User Data
Paul Hines, Ph.D., Richard Watts, Ph.D. Jonathan Dowds, Chris Farmer, Steve Letendre, Ph.D.
Clean Cities Coalition
- Future Surface Transportation Financing Options:
Challenges and Opportunities for Rural States
Jennifer Kenyan, Karen Glitman, Glenn McRae, Ph.D.
- How Sensitive Are Highway Construction Costs to Changes in
Federal Highway Funding?
Karen Glitman, Richard Sicotte, Ph.D., Shiao-Ke Chin-Lee
- Transportation, Equity and Communities at Risk: Refugee
Population and Transportation Accessibility in Vermont
Pablo Bose, Ph.D.
- Agent-based Models as a Tool for Crafting Policies that
Encourage a Green Transportation Economy
Margaret Eppstein, Ph.D., Lance Besaw, Donna Rizzo, Ph.D., Michael Pellon, Jeffrey Marshall, Ph.D.
- Improving Transportation Access for Rural Vermonters:
Demographics and Travel Demand in the Two Rivers-Ottauquechee
Cassandra Gekas, Lisa Aultman-Hall, Ph.D., Richard Watts, Ph.D., Stephen Falbel
- On-Board Tailpipe Particle Number Emissions
Chen Zhang, Ph.D., Lisa Aultman-Hall, Ph.D., Britt Holmén, Ph.D., Eric Jackson, Ph.D.
- Characterizing Real-World Toxic Gaseous Exhaust Emissions
from On-Road Vehicles
- Characterization of Particle Number Emissions from
Conventional and Hybrid Gasoline Vehicles Under Varying Operating
Transportation Air Quality Lab
Lisa Aultman-Hall, Ph.D., Britt Holmén, Ph.D., Robert Jenkins
- A Portable Ultrafine Particulate Sizer for in-situ Engine
Matt Casari, Andrew Vize, Britt Holmén, Ph.D., Jeff Frolik, Ph.D.
- The Atmospheric Aging of Diesel Particulate Matter and
Polycyclic Aromatic Hydrocarbons
Tucker Stevens, Britt Holmén, Ph.D.
- Construction and Characterization of an Environmental
Chamber for Aerosol Chemistry
Jessica Eisenhauer, Scott Geddes, Colleen Small, Guiseppe Petrucci
Land Use and Transportation Systems
National Household Travel Survey
A Partnership of VTrans, CCMPO and the UVM TRC
- Link Capacity-Disruption and Isolating Links in the
Calculation of a Transportation Network Robustness Index
James Sullivan, Lisa Aultman-Hall, Ph.D., David Novak, Darren M. Scott
- Spatial Models for the Statewide Evaluation of Transit
Nathan Belz, Lisa Aultman-Hall, Ph.D., Gopal Patil, Ph.D.
- Stopping, Starting, and Parking: Improving Collective
Peter Dodds, Ph.D., Gopal Patil, Ph.D., Lisa Aultman-Hall, Ph.D., Kristofer Kretsch, Christopher Danforth, Ph.D.
- The Vermont Integrated Land Use and Transportation Carbon
Anna Mika, Jennifer C. Jenkins, Kevin Hathaway, Stephen Lawe
- Designing Sustainable Porous Concrete Pavements for Northern
George McCain, Mandar Dewoolkar, Ph.D.
- Critical Links Supporting Vermont’s Bulk Milk
Transportation: A Novel Application of the Network Robustness
Becca Grover, Jim Sullivan, Julie Smith, Ph.D.
- Impacts of Transportation Infrastructure on Stormwater and
Joe Bartlett, William Bowden, Ph.D., Mary Watzin, Ph.D.
- Implementing UrbanSim as Part of an Integrated Model of Land
Use, Transportation and Environmental Quality
Austin Troy, Ph.D., Brian Voigt, Yi Yang, Ph.D., Jun Yu, Ph.D., Lexie Reiss, Brian Miles
- Effect of Roads on Forests of Vermont
David Asmussen, Kristin Williams, Deborah Neher, Ph.D., Sarah Taylor Lovell, Ph.D.
- Transportation Impacts of Smart Growth Developments in Rural
Towns in Maine
Andrew Weeks, Richard Watts, Ph.D., Lisa Aultman-Hall, Ph.D.
- Transportation and Tourism: Indicators and
Standards of Quality for Transportation in Parks, Outdoor Recreation, and
Robert Manning, Ph.D., William Valliere, Laura Anderson, Ph.D., Peter Pettengill, Nathan Reigner
- Transportation and Tourism: Green Motorcoach
Lisa Chase, Ph.D., Laura Anderson, Ph.D., Dave Kestenbaum, Cristina Mastrangelo
Seasonal Difference in Travel
- Assessing the Impact of Weather and Season on Pedestrian
Lisa Aultman-Hall, Ph.D., Damon Lane, Rebecca Lambert
- Identifying Seasonal and Weather Influences on Bicycle
Commuting Using Mixed Methods
Brian Flynn, Greg Dana, Anne Dorwaldt
- Mobility and Livability: Seasonal and Built Environment
Jane Kolodinsky, Ph.D., Thomas DeSisto, David Propen, Beth Nolan, Erin Roche, Will Sawyer
Outreach and Education
- Eco Driving Workshops
Karen Glitman, Paddy Shea
Case for Natural Gas Vehicles (NGV)
Studies in Transportation
Richard Watts, Ph.D.
- Transportation Education/Workforce Development
Transportation Institute: Increasing Diversity through Strategic
To download a complete list of transportation research projects featured at the 2009 Expo, click here.
For more information, please contact Kim Mercer