Costume Shop guidelines for Production
On behalf of the Costume Shop Staff welcome to the Department! The following guidelines will help the production experience be more productive and pleasant for everyone. If you have any questions, please stop by and ask. We will do our best to relieve confusion.
- Once you are cast in a production PLEASE do not cut your hair, change its color, or in any other way alter your physical appearance without consent of the Costume Designer. This includes: having any bodily appendage pierced, starting to lift weights, or shaving an already existing beard.
- Fittings, make-up sessions, photo calls, etc. will all be scheduled through each show’s stage manager and the shop supervisor. Always remember to report to the Costume Shop at your appointed time. Please remember that many other people are planning their lives around your fitting time. Please don’t be late. There are others scheduled after you.
- There are very few acceptable excuses for missing a fitting. You must phone 24 hours ahead to reschedule when planning either of the above events. If you can’t make your scheduled fitting, call us and let us know, even at the last minute. (656-0090)
- Underwear and deodorant are required attire for all dealings with the costume shop. We will not supply underwear and will not fit you if you are not wearing briefs. Remember, we have very little time to reschedule fittings.
- Make up
- All actors are required to provide their own basic theatrical make-up kit for productions. We will place an order for the kits at a reduced rate through the costume shop. The more we order, the lower the price, but it will be about the cost of an average textbook ($25-$35). Please fill out the Theatrical Make-Up Order Form (pdf) and return it to the Stage Manager. The Department will supply any items you need that are for a specialty make-up.
- In addition to the basic kit Actors should bring the following items to the First Dress and plan to leave them through strike:
- Bath Towel, and Face Cloth: Please put your initials on these, as they will be laundered.
- Mascara: (male/female both, this cannot be shared)
- Make-up Remover: (Noxzema, Ponds cold Cream, Abolene, Baby Oil, etc.)
- Pencil Sharpener
- Other Optional items: moisturizer, soap, shampoo, astringent, cotton balls, and Q-tips.
- You will be assigned a dressing table for the show’s run. It is your responsibility to keep it clean and neat. We have cleaning supplies for touch ups.
- NO EATING IN THE DRESSING ROOM OR IN COSTUME!!! EVER!!!
- This includes opening night chocolate or candy.
- Food found in the dressing room will be confiscated.
- Water must be in a covered container. No cola, coffee or juice.
- Smoking is not allowed anywhere in the building. EVER!!! And absolutely not in an uncovered costume. You may choose to bring a washable bathrobe or wrapper and wear this while smoking outside. There is no smoking in artificial hair. EVER!!!
- You may choose to bring a washable bathrobe or smock to use for make-up or use between shows. Crew will launder these once a week.
- When in doubt, use common sense and courtesy. Please use stereo headphones, clothes hangers, the trashcan, and “please” and “thank you.”
- Avoid large mildewed piles on chairs, foul language and poor personal hygiene.
If you’re still unsure stop by and ask. We are friendly! Have a great Show!
Last modified July 25 2013 03:49 PM