Instructor: Angela S. Kiniry, MSOL, MSA, SPHR, CPC
Business Savvy is designed to provide students with the opportunity to explore their natural strengths and personality style to assist with gaining clarity and direction relative to their future career aspirations and educational pursuits. Students will understand how to build their personal brand, best utilize social media in their job search, prepare for success and gain skills in behavioral interviewing. The goal is for students to become well prepared for future internships and jobs after graduation.
Course Learning Objectives
At the end of this course, the student will have improved their prospects for career placement through:
- Developing a plan for establishing a meaningful career
- Understanding the fundamentals of resume development
- Understanding how to best utilize social media in your job search
- Developing behavioral interviewing skills
- Expanding their professional network
- Increasing your marketability by expanding your portfolio and resume
Reading Materials and Assessments:
- Do What You Are: Discover the Perfect Career for you Through the Secrets of Personality Type by Paul D. Tieger and Barbara Barron-Tieger
- StrengthsQuest™ book and assessment
- Getting from College to Career Revised Edition: Your Essential Guide to Succeeding in the Real World by Lindsey Pollak
- Myers-Briggs Type Indicator® (MBTI®) Assessment
Regardless of your experience level and career objective, this business simulation exercise will give you valuable business training.
As part of the exercise, your class will divide into six multimillion-dollar companies (teams) that compete with each other. During the simulation, you will:
- Assess your company’s competition and position in the marketplace.
- Develop business strategies.
- Help make a company profitable.
- Formulate different types of decisions in the areas of research and development, marketing, production and finance.
- Understand financial reports.
- Evaluate the effectiveness of your business decisions.
- Learn how to be a valuable contributor to a team and a great business leader.
- Learn the Same Way Executives and MBA Students Learn
You’ll use Foundation® Business Simulation, which was developed by Management Simulations Inc. Foundation® is similar to the company’s Capstone® Business Simulation, an executive education program used by major corporations such as General Electric, General Motors, Caterpillar, Motorola and Honeywell. Capstone is also used in executive education programs at Northwestern University, Penn State, Emory and many other leading business schools. Thousands of managers also have played Capstone® in corporate seminars.