Staff Council Representative Elections 2014
Staff Council Representatives are elected annually in April and represent staff from all corners of the University of Vermont (UVM). Using UVM’s Organization Chart, we have established 18 Units which include all colleges and major divisions. Representation in these areas is determined annually by a staff census performed through Human Resource Services in accordance with our bylaws. In order to run for election, interested staff members must be permanent full time or part time employees who have successfully completed their probationary period*. The Council's representation for FY 2015 (July 1, 2014 - June 30, 2015) is reviewed in mid February through a non-represented staff census conducted by Human Resource Services. To find out who your current Staff Council Representative is, click here.
Due to restructuring that was effective July 1, 2013, an off-cycle nomination and election period took place in August and September 2013 to ensure that the Council had full representation from these newly formed Units/Divisions in FY 2014..
Each Representative is required to attend our monthly Staff Council Meeting and participate on one of our four Staff Council Standing Committees. The time commitment for both of these responsibilities is approximately 3 hours per month. In addition, each Representative is also required to distribute information regarding Staff Council business, activities, and communications to their units. Each representative serves a 3 year term, however, if changes occur in one's personal or professional life that make it difficult to maintain this commitment, one can step down from their position and a new election in the unit will be held. Elections are staggered and on occasion there are terms that are less than 3 years.
In FY 2014, funds are available to reimburse grants up to 3.5% of a grant-funded employee's salary for time spent engaged in Staff Council activities. If you are a fully grant-funded employee and win an election for a Representative position, the Staff Council Office will work with your Unit/Division to address any release time questions or concerns as they relate to your grant funding.
Staff Council Representative Elections Process - 2014
Units/Divisions/Colleges with Staff Council Representative Openings Remaining:
If you are interested in serving on Staff Council, please complete a Staff Council Representative Self-Nomination Form .
- College of Medicine
- Basic Sciences – 1 Representative with a one-year term
Staff Council Representative Election Results for Units/Divisions/Colleges 2014:
- College of Agriculture & Life Sciences - 1 Representative with a three-year term - JoAnne Dearborn
- College of Arts & Sciences - 2 Representatives both with a three-year term - Jeremy Arenos; Gabriela Mora-Klepeis
- College of Education & Social Services - 1 Representative with a three-year term - Jean Evans
- College of Engineering & Mathematical Sciences - 1 Representative with a three-year term - Douglas Dickey
- College of Medicine
- Adminstrative – 1 Representative with a three-year term; 1 Representative with a one-year term - Jeanna Page; Karmen Swim
- Clinical Sciences – 3 Representatives all with a three-year term - Christine Farnham; Lyndelle LeBruin; Shirley Pine
- Enrollment Management - 1 Representative with a three-year term - Carrie Pratt
- Human Resources, Diversity & Multicultural Affairs - 1 Representative from HRS for a three-year term - Stephen Lunna
- Libraries and Learning Services (ETS) - 1 Representative from Libraries and Learning Services for a three-year term - Valerie Carzello
- Research and Graduate Studies - 1 Representative for a three-year term - Dziyana Aydin
- Rubenstein School of Environmental & Natural Resources - 1 Representative for a two-year term - William Valliere
- School of Business Administration - 1 Representative for a two-year term - Nicholas Gingrow
- Student Affairs - 1 Representative for a three-year term; 1 Representative for a one-year term - Nick Hall; Carrie Wicks
Please refer any questions or concerns to the Staff Council Office at 656-4493 or Staff.Council@uvm.edu.
*Although the Staff Council serves as the voice and advocate for all staff, it does not have the same function as Collective Bargaining Units to which some members of the UVM staff belong. Those staff who belong to UE Local 267 are not permitted to participate in Staff Council at the request of their union.
Last modified August 13 2014 11:16 AM