Staff Council Representative Elections 2016
Staff Council Representatives are elected annually in April and represent staff from all corners of the University of Vermont (UVM). Using UVM’s Organization Chart, we have established 18 Units which include all colleges and major divisions. Representation in these areas is determined annually by a staff census performed through Human Resource Services in accordance with our bylaws. In order to run for election, interested staff members must be permanent full time or part time employees who have successfully completed their probationary period*. The Council's representation for FY 2016 (July 1, 2015 - June 30, 2016) is reviewed in mid February through a non-represented staff census conducted by Human Resource Services. To find out who your current Staff Council Representative is, click here.
Due to restructuring that was effective July 1, 2013, an off-cycle nomination and election period took place in August and September 2013 to ensure that the Council had full representation from these newly formed Units/Divisions in FY 2014. In addition, our Athletics representative will now be the sole representative from a newly created Athletics division, rather than being under the umbrella of University Relations & Administration. This brings our total represented divisions to 19.
Each Representative is required to attend our monthly Staff Council Meeting and participate on one of our four Staff Council Standing Committees. The time commitment for both of these responsibilities is approximately 3 hours per month. In addition, each Representative is also required to distribute information regarding Staff Council business, activities, and communications to their units. Each representative serves a 3 year term, however, if changes occur in one's personal or professional life that make it difficult to maintain this commitment, one can step down from their position at any time and a new election in the unit will be held. Elections are staggered and on occasion there are terms that are less than 3 years.
In FY 2016, funds are available to reimburse grants up to 3.5% of a grant-funded employee's salary for time spent engaged in Staff Council activities. If you are a fully grant-funded employee and win an election for a Representative position, the Staff Council Office will work with your Unit/Division to address any release time questions or concerns as they relate to your grant funding.
Staff Council Representative Elections Process - 2016
If you are interested in serving on Staff Council, please complete a Staff Council Representative Self-Nomination Form by Friday, April 8, 2016. The Staff Council Office will coordinate the election process and dates with your individual unit.
As per Staff Council bylaws, you are qualified to serve as a Representative if your record in Human Resource Services shows that you: (a.) are a regular full-time or part-time employee at the University of Vermont, who is not on probation at the time of election; (b.) whose job is part of the University’s Career/Pay System (including all grant funded employees); and (c.) you are not employed in the Staff Council Office.
Units/Divisions/Colleges with Upcoming Staff Council Representative Vacancies as of March, 2016:
- Athletics: 1 Representative, 3 year term
- College of Engineering and Mathematical Sciences: 1 Representative, 1 year term and 1 Representative, 3 year term
- College of Nursing & Health Sciences: 1 Representative, 3 year term
- College of Medicine: 1 Representative, 2 year term and 1 Representative, 1 year term
- Continuing and Distance Education: 1 Representative, 3 year term
- Finance (OVPF): 1 Representative, 3 year term
- Finance (UFS): 1 Representative, 2 year term
- Division of Student Affairs: 2 Representatives, 3 year term
- Human Resources, Diversity & Multicultural Affairs: 1 Representative, 3 year term
- Libraries and Learning Resources/ETS: 1 Representative, 3 year term
- President's and Provost's Office: 1 Representative, 3 year term
- Research & Graduate College: 1 Representative, 3 year term
- University Relations & Administration (AFS): 1 Representative, 3 year term
- University Relations & Administration (Communication & Relations): 1 Representative, 3 year term
(If there is currently no vacancy in your unit, consider getting involved with one of the Staff Council Standing Committees instead!)
Please refer any questions or concerns to the Staff Council Office at 656-4493 or Staff.Council@uvm.edu.
*Although the Staff Council serves as the voice and advocate for all staff, it does not have the same function as Collective Bargaining Units to which some members of the UVM staff belong. Those staff who belong to UE Local 267 are not permitted to participate in Staff Council at the request of their union.
Last modified April 08 2016 01:28 PM