University of Vermont

Student Employment Office


How and When Do I Request Federal Work Study? How Will I Know if I Was Awarded?

fafsa Free Application for Federal Student Aid

  1. Complete the FAFSA! To be considered for financial aid, including Federal Work Study, the FAFSA must be completed by the applicable deadline. Click on the hyperlink to learn more about the FAFSA and the UVM financial aid offerings.
  2. Access your student account. If you qualified for a Federal Work Study (FWS) award, you will have "Federal Work Study" listed as one of your awards. Follow the steps below to confirm and to secure your award:
    • Log in with your credentials
    • Click hyperlink for "Student Financial Services”
    • Click hyperlink for Financial Aid
    • Select the current aid year and click submit
    • Click hyperlink for “awarded” financial aid
    • Choose Award Overview tab to see what’s been offered/provided to you
    • Choose Accept Award Offer tab to accept offered awards
    • Either accept or decline the FWS award being offered to you

*Your Federal Work Study award isn’t secure until it has been accepted and when you have done one of the following:

  • Were hired into a FWS job by the end of the day on October 1 (full academic year awarded students)
  • Canceled your fall award and requested spring only by the end of the day on October 1 by emailing (all fall only/full academic year awarded students)
  • Were hired into a FWS job by the end ofthe day on February 15 (spring only awarded students)

Last modified April 07 2017 11:18 AM